Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server
Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752137] Thu, 19 January 2017 07:58 Go to next message
Akira Tanaka is currently offline Akira TanakaFriend
Hi, I have a question and would like to have suggestions from experts doing similar things. I am currently involved in a project, where Xtext is used as a foundation. We are developing an Xtext DSL targeting for our web platform (runtime).

In this project each developer uses eclipse (NEON DSL package + Gradle IDE Pack) on his/her workstation as a main development environment, and Gradle is used on a server. Most Gradle settings are created on workstation, and passed to the server, and Java code are generated on the server based on the provided Xtext DSL model and Xtend code.

An issue is that we found small differences in generated Java code between on workstation and on server. Probably it comes from the slightly different Xtext, Xtend etc. version numbers, especially the versions deployed from maven repository seems a bit older than for eclipse (am I right?). Is there any reasonable way to (automatically?) force the same version on both ends using any tooling, or do we need to do it manually? [Use of LSP may be a good solution in future, but we need something now]

Thank you very much for any suggestions in advance.
Akira
Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752138 is a reply to message #1752137] Thu, 19 January 2017 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
No,

there should be no difference. can you give some example of particular differences?

- is it the the generated EMF classes -> you may need to make sure you use the same version of the emf generator e.g. by pinning down the version on workstation
- is it in the generated xtend code? what kind of differences is it?
- is it in the genenerated xtext classes you likely use different xtext versions, here pinning down the version.

i dont know how you set up the development eclipse but it should use the same versions you use in the build

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752139 is a reply to message #1752137] Thu, 19 January 2017 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Akos Kitta is currently offline Akos KittaFriend
Akira,

Could you please clarify what the differences in the generated code are? Maybe an example would help to figure out what the problem is. Furthermore, could you please tell how do you exactly generate the code on the "workstation"? Do you have differences when you generate code with Gradle on the workstation and the server, or you use the IDE tooling (in your case Eclipse Neon) to generate Java code and Gradle on the server? If that's the case, you could check the versions declared in the target platform (if you have one). Also, verify the version of the installed tooling features in Eclipse. You could compare those with the versions in Gradle. But some additional details on this thread would be useful.
Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752221 is a reply to message #1752139] Fri, 20 January 2017 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you very much for responses.

Actually what we are experiencing is the following. For this post, please forget about server side Grade build stuff for the moment. If needed, I will explain more in the follow-up message.

Workstation Platforms: Windows 7 64bit and Mac OS X
eclipse: DSL package of NEON.1 and NEON.2 with Gradle IDE Pack
Xtext Complete SDK version: 2.10.0.v201605250459 (same to NEON.1 and NEON.2)
Grammar: extended Domainmodel (only relevant part is shown below)
Model:
    importSection=XImportSection?
    elements+=AbstractElement*;
AbstractElement:
    PackageDeclaration | Object | Function;
PackageDeclaration:
    'package' name=QualifiedName '{'
        elements+=AbstractElement*
    '}';
Object:
	DomainObject | Primitive | PList;
DomainObject:
    'object' name=ValidID '{'
        features+=Feature*
    '}';
Primitive:
	PString | PLong | PInteger | PDate | PDateTime | PDecimal
;
PInteger:
    'integerType' name=ValidID '{'
        format=Format?
        operations+=Operation*
    '}'
;
Function:
	Service | Repository | Factory;	
Repository:
	'repository' name=ValidID '{'
		operations+=Interface*
	'}'
;
Feature:
    Property | Initializer | Operation;
Property:
    type=JvmTypeReference name=ValidID;
Operation:
    'def' type=JvmTypeReference name=ValidID 
        '('(params+=FullJvmFormalParameter 
        (',' params+=FullJvmFormalParameter)*)?')'
    body=XBlockExpression
;
Interface:
    'def' type=JvmTypeReference name=ValidID 
        '('(params+=FullJvmFormalParameter 
;
Initializer:
    'init' '('(params+=FullJvmFormalParameter 
    body=XBlockExpression
;

and JvmModelInferrer code is like the following (just focused on the issue point):
def dispatch void infer(Repository element, IJvmDeclaredTypeAcceptor acceptor, boolean isPreIndexingPhase) {
    acceptor.accept(element.toClass(element.fullyQualifiedName)) [
        documentation = element.documentation
        interface = true
        for (feature : element.operations) {
            switch feature {
                Interface: {
                    members += feature.toMethod(feature.name, feature.type) [
                        documentation = feature.documentation
                        for (p : feature.params) {
                            parameters += p.toParameter(p.name, p.parameterType)
                        }
                    ]
                }
            }
        }
    ]
}

with above setting, and with the following DSL code,
package com.example.model.customer {

// Data Objects
	integerType CustomerId {}	

// Repositories
	repository CustomerRepository {
		def CustomerId next()
		def Customer get(CustomerId customerId)
	}
}

the following Java code #1 (Java Interface part) is generated (again relevant part only).
@SuppressWarnings("all")
public interface CustomerRepository {
  public CustomerId next();
  public Customer get(final CustomerId customerId);

}

This is the case with our office's development machines with NEON.1 and NEON.2. However I tried at home on my Mac, this was the case only with NEON.1. Another Java code #2 generated from my NEON.2 (as well as with the case of Gradle built) is the following.
@SuppressWarnings("all")
public interface CustomerRepository {
  public default CustomerId next(); <- compile error
  public default Customer get(final CustomerId customerId); <- compile error
}

And, this is also the case with Gradle built. The difference is whether "default" is generated or not. We do not know what created the difference, and thought it to be Xtext version difference issue. However, I now see this happening with the same Xtext version (#1 with NEON.1 and #2 with NEON.2). Our preference is to not generate "default" in above. If "default" generation happened to be the normal case, we would like to know how to not generate "default" within JvmInferrer code.

Thank you very much for your comments/suggestions again in advance.
Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752224 is a reply to message #1752221] Fri, 20 January 2017 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how does your toInterface inferrer code look like?

how is your java version setting? it looks like xbase is not sure which java version to pick.

it looks like in eclipse you dont compile with java 8 but in gradle you are.
how is the project in eclipse configured regarding java compiler and dsl compiler (there should be a section in the projects properties called yourdsl)

Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752239 is a reply to message #1752224] Fri, 20 January 2017 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the response.

1) We use toClass with "interface = true" to generate Java interface, since toInterface does not accept QualifiedName.

2) As far as I know, we use Java 8. I checked my mac, it's Java 8. I cannot check all workstations at office right now. I will check it and report the result early next week (I do not think we use Java 7, though).

3) At least my eclipse's java compiler and dsl's compiler both says it is 1.8.
Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752255 is a reply to message #1752239] Fri, 20 January 2017 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.jvmmodel.JvmTypesBuilder.toInterface(EObject, String, Procedure1<? super JvmGenericType>)
passing the qualified name as second param should work

Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752368 is a reply to message #1752224] Mon, 23 January 2017 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have checked my Mac and PCs/Macs in the office. I found no Java 7 set for Xtext grammar project and DSL project (new instance of eclipse with DSL plugin) on any of the machines.
Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752369 is a reply to message #1752368] Mon, 23 January 2017 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you please share a mininal reproducing example?

Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752370 is a reply to message #1752369] Mon, 23 January 2017 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
p.s: and it still looks like the way you infer the interface is strange

Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752372 is a reply to message #1752255] Mon, 23 January 2017 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you. I will try this. However, even if it works, it would be a workaround, and the issue remains.
Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752374 is a reply to message #1752372] Mon, 23 January 2017 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes this is why i ask for a reproducible example

Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752376 is a reply to message #1752374] Mon, 23 January 2017 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
p.s.: alternatively you could debug into jvmlmodelgenerator yourself

Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752379 is a reply to message #1752376] Mon, 23 January 2017 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Akos Kitta is currently offline Akos KittaFriend
Akira,

Could you please confirm, that you have selected a Java 8 JDK in your Eclipse? It is under Preferences > Java > Installed JREs. Besides that, the Execution Environments are set correctly.

Maybe you have already verified that via:
"3) At least my eclipse's java compiler and dsl's compiler both says it is 1.8."
Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752388 is a reply to message #1752379] Mon, 23 January 2017 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I have checked:
- Eclipse's preferences (Java compiler), installed JRE selection, and Xtext project's preferences (Java compiler),
and
- Java compiler version of DSL model project found under project's properties -> DSL name -> Java compiler of created instance of eclipse.

All were Java 8. Thanks.
Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752477 is a reply to message #1752388] Tue, 24 January 2017 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is the update.

I was able to reproduce the issue with Xtext's domain model example. Use NEON.1 DSL package as a base, install Gradle IDE Pack, and instantiate Domainmodel example. Replace JvmModelInferrer code with
package org.eclipse.xtext.example.domainmodel.jvmmodel

import com.google.inject.Inject
import org.eclipse.xtext.example.domainmodel.domainmodel.Entity
import org.eclipse.xtext.example.domainmodel.domainmodel.Operation
import org.eclipse.xtext.naming.IQualifiedNameProvider
import org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.jvmmodel.AbstractModelInferrer
import org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.jvmmodel.IJvmDeclaredTypeAcceptor
import org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.jvmmodel.JvmTypesBuilder

class DomainmodelJvmModelInferrer extends AbstractModelInferrer {
@Inject extension JvmTypesBuilder
@Inject extension IQualifiedNameProvider

def dispatch void infer(Entity element, IJvmDeclaredTypeAcceptor
acceptor, boolean isPreIndexingPhase) {
acceptor.accept(element.toClass(element.fullyQualifiedName)) [
documentation = element.documentation
interface = true
for (feature : element.features) {
switch feature {
Operation: {
}]}}}]}}

Create new eclipse instance by Run -> Run Configuration (as usual). Create Java project, add a model folder and add the following sample model in the folder.
entity Service01 {
op add (Integer x, Integer y) : Integer {
return x + y
} }

With this model, you will see generated Java interface with "default" keyword. Now here comes a tricky part. We put this project into our repository, and when needed, we import it with Gradle(STS), i.e. after putting it into the repository, delete the project, and choose import -> Gradle(STS). You will be guided to build the project with Gradle before selecting the project. build.gradle is shown below.
plugins {
    id "eclipse"
    id "org.xtext.xtend" version "1.0.0"
    id "org.xtext.builder" version "1.0.0"
}
apply plugin: 'java'
repositories {
    jcenter()
    mavenLocal()
    mavenCentral()
}
dependencies {
    xtextLanguages 'org.eclipse.xtext.example.domainmodel:jorg.eclipse.xtext.example.domainmodel:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT'
    compile 'org.eclipse.xtend:org.eclipse.xtend.lib:2.10.0'
    compile 'javax.validation:validation-api:1.1.0.Final'
}
xtext {
    languages {
        model {
            fileExtension = 'dmodel'
            setup = 'org.eclipse.xtext.example.domainmodel.DomainmodelStandaloneSetup'
            generator.outlet.producesJava = true
        }
    }
    sourceSets {
        main {
            srcDir 'src/main/model'
        }
    }
}

BTW please modify srcDir 'src/main/model' if needed. Anyway, after successful import of the project, you will find "default" keyword not shown in generated Java interface code.

So, now we suspect Gradle IDE Pack looks like the cause of the issue (do not know how, though).
Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752494 is a reply to message #1752477] Tue, 24 January 2017 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the error in the inferrer is this one

abstract = true // this is the fix
			}
		]

if you tell the project in eclipse to use java 7 it wil work without the default method
(Properties -> Domainmodel -> Compiler -> project specific settings -> dont inherit from java -> select java7

=> the queston is: why do you have once java 7 and once java 8

as i said JvmModelGenerator does something like

if (!isAbstract && !isStatic && config.getJavaSourceVersion.isAtLeast(JAVA8)
&& eContainer instanceof JvmGenericType && (eContainer as JvmGenericType).isInterface)
appendable.append("default ")

so the question is: how is javaSourceVersion filled in the different usecases.

btw the xtext gradle plugin version you use seems quite old

hmmmm, i dont have the time to reproduce this from scratch,

Re: Synchronizing version numbers between workstations and a server [message #1752689 is a reply to message #1752494] Thu, 26 January 2017 08:24 Go to previous message
Thank you very much for the response.

Yes, "abstract = true // this is the fix" is also our tentative solution right now.

"the queston is: why do you have once java 7 and once java 8"
<==
We have no intention to do this. We want to do everything with Java 8 all the time.

"how is javaSourceVersion filled in the different usecases."
<==
Don't know, we do not do that intentionally. As I said, the suspect is old Gradle IDE Pack.

"btw the xtext gradle plugin version you use seems quite old"
<==
Thank you, we will upgrade.

"hmmmm, i dont have the time to reproduce this from scratch,"
<==
OK. Although we do not know how javaSourceVersion was affected, we probably have identified the player in this game. We will use tentative solution for short term, and we would probably move to buildship. So, we can close this case. If, however, something similar happens in the future, we may come back to this thread.

Thank you very much for your help and for your time!
Akira
Previous Topic:Missing requirement building an updatesite that includes Xtext 2.10 runtime artifacts
Next Topic:How to bind IContextualOutputConfigurationProvider as ConfigurationsProvider
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:26:15 GMT 2024