Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Titan » May I use Titan in Commercial Product
May I use Titan in Commercial Product [message #1751731] Fri, 13 January 2017 08:29 Go to next message
Carson He is currently offline Carson HeFriend
May I use Titan in Commercial Product to Test our private communication protocol?
If Could use, are there some limitation?

Thanks a lot
Re: May I use Titan in Commercial Product [message #1751736 is a reply to message #1751731] Fri, 13 January 2017 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elemer Lelik is currently offline Elemer LelikFriend
HI Carson,

the governing license conditions are detailed in: https://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html

please read this carefully.

The short answer is: yes, you may use Titan in a commercial product; you may also develop Titan sub-assemblies(ports, protocol modules) etc. with no obligation
to open source them as in GPL and related licensing schemes.

Again , for details, the license text should be read and interpreted.

Best regards
Elemer

[Updated on: Fri, 13 January 2017 12:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: May I use Titan in Commercial Product [message #1754129 is a reply to message #1751736] Tue, 14 February 2017 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Subhas Kamble is currently offline Subhas KambleFriend
Hi,
1. We wanted use the Titan TTCN3 for commercial product, test simulator. What part of the code if we modify then we need to submit the source code back to forum?

2. If I develop any module newly and plug in to the Titan then still do I need to open my source code to open community forum?

3. If I update any generated code then do I need to update that code anywhere ?

Re: May I use Titan in Commercial Product [message #1754155 is a reply to message #1754129] Tue, 14 February 2017 19:06 Go to previous message
Elemer Lelik is currently offline Elemer LelikFriend
Hi Subhas,

Titan is relased under EPL 1.0 see https://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
There's a good FAQ about EPL 1.0 and different usage, distribution etc. scenarios at https://eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php
which should answer all your questions.

I suggest you read it carefully or possibly have it read and interpreted by a person with knowledge of law.

Regarding your 3rd point: we have seen cases when users attempted to build upon the code generated by Titan. This is a practice we strongly discourage,
as the C++ code generated by Titan can change without any warning, rendering your code unusable.
One should use only the (reasonably well documented) APIs that Titan offers: the test port API, logger API, external function API etc.

I hope this will help

Best regards
Elemer

Previous Topic:TITAN Support of TTCN-3 Extension Package
Next Topic:Using TLS/DTLS with Titan test ports part1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:36:39 GMT 2024