Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Stereotypes in Papyrus of Eclipse Neon(Missing features in Papyrus of Eclipse Neon)
Stereotypes in Papyrus of Eclipse Neon [message #1751300] Sat, 07 January 2017 10:28 Go to next message
Samer Afach is currently offline Samer AfachFriend
So I'm learning UML while I already program, and I'm using Papyrus. There are things that are missing in Neon, and I wish someone could explain why these features are missing.

So, I'm talking about java stereotypes. According to this tutorial:

/watch?v=gmf8CswqKcs

(Please prepend youtube .com, as I'm not allowed to add external links as a new user here).

which teaches how to install Papyrus on Eclipse Luna, after installing everything, including "Papyrus Profile for Java Models", one gets the stereotypes that one can access through "Import registered profiles", as shown in the part of the same video (time=13 minutes).

The problem: None of this exists in Eclipse Neon! On Eclipse Neon, I install Papyrus using the package in:

http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/papyrus/updates/releases/neon/

And then use the package manager that comes up with Papyrus after installing it, or equally this source:

http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/papyrus/components/designer/

which includes a package called "Designer-JAVA (Incubation)" or called "Papyrus Java Profile, library and code generation". After installing this, I don't get the "Java" profile when I try to "Import registered profiles". This is what I get:

(see attachment EclipseProfileChoose.png)

Which doesn't show any stereotypes that I recognize from that video. No stereotypes for Java at all! All the stereotypes I see (for both the class and the property/variable) are weird and not understandable. Here they are:

(See attachments EclipseApplyVarStereoType.png and EclipseJavaStereotype.png)

My question(s): Are the stereotypes I see in the video officially missing in Neon? Or are they not necessary anymore for some UML related reason? How can I get these in Eclipse Neon? Please explain what's going on because I'm lost, as a beginner.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 January 2017 04:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stereotypes in Papyrus of Eclipse Neon [message #1751494 is a reply to message #1751300] Tue, 10 January 2017 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

I just tried this with a new Neon.1 installation of Papyrus and I do not seem to have these issues. Perhaps you should try re-installing (preferably following one of the methods listed at https://www.eclipse.org/papyrus/download.html)?

Do you have the "Papyrus Java profile, library and code generation (Incubation) 1.0.3 org.eclipse.papyrus.designer.languages.java.feature.feature.group Eclipse Modeling Project" as part of your installed software?

/Charles Rivet
Re: Stereotypes in Papyrus of Eclipse Neon [message #1751516 is a reply to message #1751494] Wed, 11 January 2017 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your response, Charles. Actually, I'm using Neon.2. I hope that doesn't make any difference.

Under the repository (which is available under the link you provided), this repository:

http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/papyrus/updates/releases/neon

There's nothing related to Java. If I filter for "java", nothing appears. And in the repository (which I learned about from the forums):

http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/papyrus/components/designer

There's the package you mentioned "Papyrus Java Profile, library and code generation (Incubation)", but version 1.0.1. It has the same identifier you mentioned: "org.eclipse.papyrus.designer.languages.java.feature.feature.group".

But do you see the same stereotypes of the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmf8CswqKcs&t=13m00s)? Or do you see the ones like I gave in the screenshots? Could you please mention what stereotypes you see and whether they're the same from the video tutorial?
Re: Stereotypes in Papyrus of Eclipse Neon [message #1751571 is a reply to message #1751516] Wed, 11 January 2017 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

I loaded Papyrus Neon.2 and the screen shot you included correspond to what I am seeing.

You should note tht the YouTube video to which you refer was created in April 2015, so using a version of Papyrus that is six releases behind Neon.2.

Since the Java Designer additional component is still in incubation, it's extremely likely that there have been many modifications since then - Actually, given the differences we are seeing, there have been quite a few!

So, following the video, instead of applying the "Java" profile to your model, you would apply the "PapyrusJava" profile.

From what I understand, you also no longer need to use a stereotype to specify that a class is a "Java class" (or a property as a "JavaProperty")- Designer takes care of that internally. And if you use UML primitives, you could also generate C++ out of the same model using C++ designer.

To generate the code, you use "Designer > Generate Java Code" instead of "Java > Generate Java Code".

I hope this helps!

/Charles Rivet
Re: Stereotypes in Papyrus of Eclipse Neon [message #1751580 is a reply to message #1751571] Wed, 11 January 2017 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, I see. That answered my question. If I understand correctly, no need for stereotyping in detail anymore because it's all taken care of internally. Thanks a lot!
Re: Stereotypes in Papyrus of Eclipse Neon [message #1751758 is a reply to message #1751580] Fri, 13 January 2017 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ansgar Radermacher is currently offline Ansgar RadermacherFriend
Hi Charles,

thanks for responding.
Yes, we had some refactorings of the Java profile and it is indeed not necessary to stereotype a class as Java class. You still need (of course) use stereotype for Java specific concepts, e.g. a static clsasifier in cases of nested classes.
Re: Stereotypes in Papyrus of Eclipse Neon [message #1800439 is a reply to message #1751758] Fri, 28 December 2018 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey you is currently offline hey youFriend
Hey Ansgar,
in the tutorial from youtube, after he applies stereotype a class as Java class, and generates code, getters and setters are generated automatically.
However, after I click
Designer->Generate Code in newer Papyrus version (in my case 1.1.0) no setters and getters are generated automatically.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 December 2018 13:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stereotypes in Papyrus of Eclipse Neon [message #1800562 is a reply to message #1800439] Wed, 02 January 2019 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ansgar Radermacher is currently offline Ansgar RadermacherFriend
The support for getters/setters had been dropped in the context of a better alignment of the Java and C++ code generators. It could be done via a model to model transformation, but this is currently not implemented.
Re: Stereotypes in Papyrus of Eclipse Neon [message #1802444 is a reply to message #1800562] Sat, 09 February 2019 01:07 Go to previous message
Pedram Khoshdani is currently offline Pedram KhoshdaniFriend
In Eclipse => "Help" => "install new software..." then use the following links:

To get Papyrus:

http://download.eclipse.org/releases/2018-09

"2018-09" is the Eclipse version. You can replace it with for example "Neon"

for Java support use the following link:

http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/papyrus/components/designer/
Previous Topic:Possibility to configure export image PPI
Next Topic:Re: elementTypesConfiguration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 14:15:32 GMT 2024