Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Oxygen editor missing underscore (editor )
Oxygen editor missing underscore [message #1751268] Fri, 06 January 2017 16:36 Go to next message
Anne Creek is currently offline Anne CreekFriend
This is a duplicate because I cannot find my original post.
I cannot have underscore anywhere in Oxygen editor.
Such as
#define TEST_TEST
will show up as
#define TEST TEST - space instead of underscore between TEST
and my code will not compile.

I have been told to submit a bug report which I did.
I have been told that Oxygen is not officially released until June 2017. (?)

Could anybody please set me starlight on this?

Thanks for your time.

Re: Oxygen editor missing underscore [message #1751282 is a reply to message #1751268] Sat, 07 January 2017 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Quote:
This is a duplicate because I cannot find my original post.

Your original one is here: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1749360/#msg_1749360 but we can continue here. You can find the messages you posted by clicking on your user name and then clicking on all posts, your direct link to all messages is here: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/sp/201632/

Quote:
I have been told to submit a bug report which I did.

Thank you! I haven't managed to find the bug in bugzilla, could you kindly share the bug number here. However in my searches I decided to include resolved bugs and I found https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=506885 and https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=498384 which both indicate that the problem is with the font and not Eclipse (they were marked invalid). Comment #4 indicated that resetting the font works: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=506885#c4

Quote:
I have been told that Oxygen is not officially released until June 2017. (?)

That is correct, Oxygen (aka Eclipse 4.7 including CDT 9.3) is the current, fairly stable, but unreleased version of Eclipse. I, and I am sure the rest of the community, really appreciate the early adopters who live on the bleeding edge. However if you need to downgrade, I recommend using the Neon (aka Eclipse 4.6.2 with CDT 9.2), which is the latest released version of Eclipse. Let me know if you need help finding exactly what you need.

If you have been confused by the names of releases, you are not alone: https://kichwacoders.com/2016/04/28/why-its-time-to-kill-the-eclipse-release-namesneon-oxygen-etc/
Re: Oxygen editor missing underscore [message #1751289 is a reply to message #1751282] Sat, 07 January 2017 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for reply.
I guess I'll submit another bug report, no problem.
Apparently the bug report did not indicate the underscore issue.
Since this is my first exposure to Eclipse I was not really sure when I had a bug or just user error. I still have difficulty adding new code to compiled working code and little concerned how it is all going to pan out when I do real debugging.
In the meantime I'll "down shift".

Addendum
I did attempt to post bug report , but I am getting "anonymous cannot post tasks" in red . After I fill out next dialog the red error message goes black, I can pus Send but get no response.
I do not know if the bug was posted , but I got screen shot of major part of it on file.

So it looks as Oxygen bug report is also buggy.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 January 2017 01:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oxygen editor missing underscore [message #1751301 is a reply to message #1751289] Sat, 07 January 2017 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Vaclav,

There is an anti-spam measure on the bug reporting: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Platform you cannot send anonymous bug reports.

However, I wouldn't bother creating a new bug report, I have reopened https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=506885. Instead, I would add yourself to the CC list of that bug if you want notifications.

Thanks for your persistence on this issue.
Jonah

Re: Oxygen editor missing underscore [message #1751310 is a reply to message #1751301] Sat, 07 January 2017 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah,
I am not sure where my last reply went.
I have activated Eclipse Neon and successfully imported ONE application from the original Oxygen workspace.
I have a small issue I could use some help.
When I do the import - my original programs are identified as "fuse .. " something.
After the program is imported it compiles etc. but still is identified in Project Explorer as "debug fuse hidden ..."
I suppose I can rename it, no problem.
What I need - some way to correlate the "fuse.." with project name so I can select "New configure etc. "
The workspace fieles are in alphabetical order (in file view app) , so how are the "fuse.." arranged?
I am reluctant to delete projects I do not want to import, but that is an option.

• Attachment: Neon.odt
    (Size: 493.70KB, Downloaded 94 times)

[Updated on: Sat, 07 January 2017 17:02]

Re: Oxygen editor missing underscore [message #1751323 is a reply to message #1751310] Sun, 08 January 2017 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Addendum:
I have implemented this hack to go from Oxygen to Neon:

Copy Oxgen default " workspace" directory . I have renamed it "workspace _NEON"
In Eclipse - Neon switch from original " workspace" to "workspace_NEON".
That restarts new instance of Ecipse_NEON than required project can be selected.
Clumsy , but it works.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 January 2017 17:18]

Re: Oxygen editor missing underscore [message #1751387 is a reply to message #1751323] Mon, 09 January 2017 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bad and good news
NEON.2 has a similar problem with underscore.
It does not show in editor pane / window, but it compiles.
I am enclosing some screen shots to document this in NEON.
Sorry

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2017 16:16]

Re: Oxygen editor missing underscore [message #1751431 is a reply to message #1751387] Tue, 10 January 2017 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Accoring to the bug report https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=506885 that I previously mentioned, this issue is in all versions of CDT from Mars forwards. The workaround is to change your font.
Re: Oxygen editor missing underscore [message #1751484 is a reply to message #1751431] Tue, 10 January 2017 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whoops.
I guess correct version of Eclipse should be named "Pluto" .
I understand that developers are free to name / version their product the way they like, but the product objective is to help programming and fancy names really do not help much .

Appreciate your help.
As a new user I do not know how long ago this was "discovered" and frankly would not expect users to Google for it .
Somehow makes me wonder how such common usage of underscore in C language did not bother anybody sooner.
Cheers - case closed ?
Re: Oxygen editor missing underscore [message #1751717 is a reply to message #1751484] Thu, 12 January 2017 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
That is correct, Oxygen (aka Eclipse 4.7 including CDT 9.3) is the current, fairly stable, but unreleased version of Eclipse.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 January 2017 17:53] by Moderator

Re: Oxygen editor missing underscore [message #1771261 is a reply to message #1751717] Wed, 23 August 2017 13:24 Go to previous message
alagalah alagalah is currently offline alagalah alagalahFriend
Currently having this issue with latest Oxygen on Ubuntu MATE 16.04

Was working fine on Neon. I used the eclipse-installer to install Oxygen.

I tried suggestions such as setting to default system font (Ubuntu) as well as the Eclipse default which was monospace.

Same issue no matter what I do.

I tried creating a net new workspace as well.

Any thoughts?
Previous Topic:C++ Reverse Engineering
Next Topic:Can't install my plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:32:25 GMT 2024