Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Neon: Run/Debug toolbar disappears(Run/Debug toolbar disappears after first run of Eclipse Neon)
Neon: Run/Debug toolbar disappears [message #1751250] Fri, 06 January 2017 10:10 Go to next message
ms fc is currently offline ms fcFriend
I just installed Eclipse Neon on Ubuntu 16.10. On first run the run/debug toolbar appeared in the C/C++ perspective in the upper right. One second and subsequent runs it is not there in either C/C++ perspective or Debug perspective.

I have found that if I exit Eclipse, delete workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.e4.workbench/workbench.xmi and run Eclipse again the toolbar wil reappear. However on exiting workbench.xmi is created and in future runs the toolbar is missing.

If I try "Customize Perspective" in an effort to get the toolbar to appear again, I get a Java error:

Unhandled event loop exception
java.lang.StackOverflowError

Help. I can't keep deleting workspace.xmi between runs.

Re: Neon: Run/Debug toolbar disappears [message #1751288 is a reply to message #1751250] Sat, 07 January 2017 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
You could try turning off GTK3 to see if it is a GTK3 or GTK2 bug, add --launcher.GTK_version 2 to your eclipse command line, e.g.:

/path/to/eclipse-neon/eclipse --launcher.GTK_version 3

Can you post a screenshot of when the toolbar appears in the wrong place, that may give me a clue as to what is going wrong too.

Can you post the contents of your log file (workspace/.metadata/.log)? Hopefully the explanation of the SOE is in there?
Re: Neon: Run/Debug toolbar disappears [message #1751296 is a reply to message #1751288] Sat, 07 January 2017 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem only happens with GTK 3. GTK2 is okay except that only the top part of the icons is drawn until you run the pointer over them. This image shows this weird initial state.
index.php/fa/28051/0/

Here is a screenshot when running with GTK 3 and workspace.xmi does not exist. Be sure to look at the right hand side of the image.
index.php/fa/28052/0/

Here is a shot when workspace.xmi exists.
index.php/fa/28053/0/

When I run Eclipse from the command line and it is using GTK 3 I get a long stream of this message
(Eclipse:4384): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_base64_encode_step: assertion 'in != NULL' failed

I'll get back to you about the log file. I have to run Eclipse again and generate the SOE.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 January 2017 09:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Neon: Run/Debug toolbar disappears [message #1751297 is a reply to message #1751296] Sat, 07 January 2017 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
.metadata/.log from after the SOE is attached. The SOE too only happens with GTK 3.
  • Attachment: .log
    (Size: 72.92KB, Downloaded 204 times)
Re: Neon: Run/Debug toolbar disappears [message #1751298 is a reply to message #1751296] Sat, 07 January 2017 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Quote:
(Eclipse:4384): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_base64_encode_step: assertion 'in != NULL' failed

That output is down to a GTK bug/incompatibility. I had that too with Greybird theme, changing to Adwaita theme cleared it up. It happens because the corresponding CSS files in Ubuntu are not parsed cleanly by GTK3. For me it didn't happen with 16.04, but did with 16.10.

I can't reproduce the main problem at the moment, possibly because I am using XUbunutu with XFCE and not normal Ubuntu.

There is a bug report: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=506189 which indicates that the problem you are facing may be the theme too even for your additional problems. Can you try the Adwaita theme, its in the gnome-themes-standard package.
Re: Neon: Run/Debug toolbar disappears [message #1751548 is a reply to message #1751298] Wed, 11 January 2017 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All the problems disappear when using the Adwaita theme.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=506189 is indeed this problem. My searches prior to starting this thread failed to find it.

Thanks for the help. I hope the problem will be fixed soon as I'm not sure I like Adwaita.
Re: Neon: Run/Debug toolbar disappears [message #1751569 is a reply to message #1751548] Wed, 11 January 2017 15:09 Go to previous message
Marc-André Laperle is currently offline Marc-André LaperleFriend
Any help fixing this issue in the theme / GTK3 would be greatly appreciated BTW Smile I'm just saying that in case someone in this thread is knowledgeable in this area!
Previous Topic:NEON start-up
Next Topic:syntax error compiling with "(" in command line
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 05:33:51 GMT 2024