Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » SysML Modeling Example
SysML Modeling Example [message #1750884] Sat, 31 December 2016 02:44 Go to next message
Daniel Yeaw is currently offline Daniel YeawFriend
As I come up to speed with Paypyrus development, I was looking for some others ways I can start to contribute. I saw one of the bugs that Francois Le Fevre posted was to create an official example.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=490563

I'm capable of doing the modeling for the Thirty Meter Telescope. Is that what we want to use as the official example? Are there any concerns with Caltech having copyright over the example?
Re: SysML Modeling Example [message #1750990 is a reply to message #1750884] Tue, 03 January 2017 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benoit Maggi is currently offline Benoit MaggiFriend
Hi Daniel,

An official example is sill a major interest for the SysML part.

All contribution to Papyrus needs to be done under the EPL license
https://eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php

So I fear you can't keep the copyright, but you and your company may be listed as contributor on the files/bugs/model...

Regards,
Benoit
Re: SysML Modeling Example [message #1750991 is a reply to message #1750884] Tue, 03 January 2017 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francois Le Fevre is currently offline Francois Le FevreFriend
Hi daniel
it will be great to have your contribution.
here a snipped of license at the header of java files.
As you can see you can mention your company, name etc..
The key point is to have the mention of the EPL.

Does it song good for you?

By the way, I wish you an Happy SysML Year !

Francois

/*****************************************************************************
* Copyright (c) 2008, 2016 CEA LIST, Christian W. Damus, and others.
* All rights reserved. This program and the accompanying materials
* are made available under the terms of the Eclipse Public License v1.0
* which accompanies this distribution, and is available at
* http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
* Contributors:
* Cedric Dumoulin Cedric.dumoulin@lifl.fr - Initial API and implementation
* Christian W. Damus (CEA) - only calculate affected files for workspace resources (CDO)
* Laurent Wouters (CEA) - laurent.wouters@cea.fr - Refactoring for viewpoints
* Christian W. Damus - bug 485220
*****************************************************************************/
Re: SysML Modeling Example [message #1750993 is a reply to message #1750990] Tue, 03 January 2017 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Francois and Benoit,

I guess that is why I was worried about using the TMT example as our official example, since I can't transfer Caltech's copyright. I could contact the authors and see if that is something they would be willing or able to do. Right now I am struggling to get the Magicdraw Development Toolkit (MDK) installed to even look at the example.

We may have to come up with an original example if JPL can't transfer copyright. Since I work for Ford Motor Company, and I'm volunteering with my free time only, doing a non-automotive example would ensure that I'm free to transfer copyright without special permission from my company.

I noticed that there is not currently any bugs labeled with keywords helpwanted or bugday. Any suggestion on where to start trying to contribute?

Finally I heard that SysML 1.5 has been approved since we are an OMG member. Submitting bugs to implement the changes could be a task for early this year.

Happy SysML New Year to you also.

Dan
Re: SysML Modeling Example [message #1751009 is a reply to message #1750993] Tue, 03 January 2017 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

Just a note here that this is not a question of copyright, but rather one of licencing.
Copyright can stay with Caltech while releasing the model under an open source license (which would be required to be used within Eclipse).

If you look at the example that is provided in a previous comment, the copyright is still with the people/entities that created the artefact (or parts thereof), but the license is such that it permits its usage within an Eclipse project.

Now the question becomes: will Caltech let you release that model under an open source license?

Now, that being said, I am not a lawyer, so if there are any doubts, please consult one! I am sure Caltech must have one for this kind of questions...

/Charles Rivet
Re: SysML Modeling Example [message #1751021 is a reply to message #1751009] Tue, 03 January 2017 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are of course correct, thanks for the clarification on the license vs. Copyright.
Re: SysML Modeling Example [message #1751836 is a reply to message #1750884] Mon, 16 January 2017 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So I looked in to this more and Caltech has released the TMT model under the BSD 3-Clause license. Although it is an unrestrictive license, we will not be able to relicense it under the EPL without Caltech doing so. I contacted Robert Karban at JPL, who created the model, and this doesn't sound like a promising option.

I think we need to create a new original example. I had an idea to model the openpilot project (https://github.com/commaai/openpilot), which is an open source driving agent (Adaptive Cruise Control + Lane Keeping). I think it would be a good automotive example. The software itself is MIT licensed, but I don't think modeling how the system would work would be derivative work in this case since I'm not copying someone else's model.

What does everyone this about this? Any other ideas to use as an example?
Re: SysML Modeling Example [message #1753371 is a reply to message #1751836] Sun, 05 February 2017 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roland Petrasch is currently offline Roland PetraschFriend
just a short question that is not related to the example, but to SysML for Papyrus 3.0.0: I tried to install SysML in neon.3, but got an error. Is there a SysML version that can be installed with 3.0.0?
Re: SysML Modeling Example [message #1755400 is a reply to message #1753371] Thu, 02 March 2017 21:59 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Roland,
Your question is not related to this topic; you should post it as a new topic instead.
Previous Topic:Double click on elements in activity diagram
Next Topic:Moving Lines
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:37:20 GMT 2024