Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » How to show E4 sample view generated from wizard?
How to show E4 sample view generated from wizard? [message #1750743] Tue, 27 December 2016 18:52 Go to next message
Guido Schnepp is currently offline Guido SchneppFriend
Hello,

maybe it's a silly question: I'd like to create an E4 only view to be shown in Eclipse IDE. For this I've tried the wizard "New Plug-In project" -> ... -> Templates -> "Plug-in with an Eclipse 4 view".

Description is:
This template creates an Eclipse 4 plugin with a model application fragment containing a SWT view (in PartDescriptors).
It uses the standard xpath:/ notation to add this view in any application model. The generated plugin is also compliant with an Eclipse 3 application running with the compatibility layer. In this case, the view can be opened by selecting Window, Show View and then Other... on the menu bar.

That's what I get, but I'm lost from here: How can this Eclipse 4 view/fragment be used in IDE when "Window, Show view ..." doesn't work? Simply running this plug-in as Eclipse Application seems not to be enough. I've brought that view to work as standalone RCP application, but I'd like to have it integrated in Eclipse IDE, too.

While this is a question on its own, here is some more background for you: At the end I'd like to have a custom view for my project's binary files shown in Project Explorer. Something to be opened on right click on such file and "Open with...". Maybe there's to be defined a lot more to connect this view to the Project Explorer. For now I'm a pure RCP beginner.

Thanks a lot for pointing me into the right direction!

Guido

[Updated on: Wed, 28 December 2016 08:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to show E4 sample view generated from wizard? [message #1750890 is a reply to message #1750743] Sat, 31 December 2016 09:25 Go to previous message
Guido Schnepp is currently offline Guido SchneppFriend
No idea, what has happened to my installation. But after a full reinstall of Eclipse 4 Neon.2 the sample from above works as desired.

On how an E4 plugin can be used as standalone view in the Eclipse IDE both an article of Lars Vogel and a (meanwhile solved) bug report also from Lars have helped me to understand:
http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipsePlugin/article.html#plugin_ideextensionsintroducion
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=376486

The need to tag part descriptors with "View" to reach this in pure E4 could be documented a lot better...

Guido

Previous Topic:Close button disappears from Editors after migrating workspace from Eclipse 3 to 4
Next Topic:Unable to update Eclipse to Luna SR2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:52:55 GMT 2024