Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Hudson » Continuous integration(Continuous integration using Hudson and Git - implementation)
Continuous integration [message #1750721] Tue, 27 December 2016 11:40
Sharan Basappa is currently offline Sharan BasappaFriend
Hello All,

I will explain the thought process below followed by my questions:

We are in the processing of putting together continuous integration flow in our team. We would be using Hudson and Git for our implementation

The plan is for users to do their work in a specific Git branch in the local clones and then push the branch to Git. Git is expected to trigger Hudson build as a part of post-receive action (?).

Once triggered, Hudson would merge the user branch to Master branch in the local clone. It then runs a bunch of smoke tests.
If these tests go through then Hudson pushes Master branch to remote. Otherwise, Hudson will notify to appropriate stakeholders.

With this context, I have the following approach & questions:

Hudson build is triggered based on check-in to the remote. The plan is to use Hudson's "Trigger builds remotely" for this.
Further, in order to trigger build remotely, action has to be initiated from the Git side. The plan is to use Git hook on the server side for post-receive actions.
Git to be configured for post-receive to trigger remote build using curl or wget. Am I going in the correct direction?

Hudson would be configured to build only if changes are done to the REL* branch. Check-in to any other branch, for whatever reason, would not be built by Hudson.
The plan is to use Hudson option "branches to build" that can be used to build only when specific branch undergoes change. Is this the right option or is there any trick on the Git side to handle this?

If regression is successful then Hudson will push local Master to remote Master. Hudson, through Git plugin, supports "Branch to Push" which should be configured appropriately.

I just want inputs 1) if I am going in the right direction 2) if I have thought through everything 3) are there any loop holes or any missing elements in my plan

Thanks in advance
Previous Topic:Hudson execute maven plugin failed
Next Topic:After upgrading hudson from version 1.379 to 3.1.1 views and jobs are missing from dashboard
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:14:38 GMT 2024