Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Setting up Indigo with Xtext
Setting up Indigo with Xtext [message #1750276] Mon, 19 December 2016 12:42 Go to next message
ayman salah is currently offline ayman salahFriend
I am trying to install Xtext on Indigo 64 bit and I am facing errors.

I am using Indigo for Modeling from this url http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/indigo/sr2.

After downloading it I go for Help -> Install new software using this link http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/tmf/xtext/updates/composite/releases/ I check EMF Core and MDT XSD and EMF Xcore and MWE in order to install Xtext in the next step.

When I hit next I get this error: "Your original request has been modified.
"XSD - XML Schema Definition SDK" is already installed, so an update will be performed instead."

I don't know what to do. I have also tried using Eclipse RCP but it was no good.

I must use eclipse version 3.7 Indigo. I have the 32 bit version working and everything is alright.

Help me please..
Re: Setting up Indigo with Xtext [message #1750280 is a reply to message #1750276] Mon, 19 December 2016 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karsten Thoms is currently offline Karsten ThomsFriend

The current release of Xtext is targeted for Eclipse Luna, so you will have to install a previous version.
In the "Install new software" dialog deselect "Show only the latest versions..." option.

Eclipse Indigo was packaged with Xtext 2.0.1, that version will be compatible for sure. Any newer is untested, the platform is just too old.

You could also just use http://download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo as an update site, without the Xtext releases repo. There you would have automatically Xtext 2.0.1.

There are good chances that you could install a newer version also, just try the versions backward.
Re: Setting up Indigo with Xtext [message #1750284 is a reply to message #1750280] Mon, 19 December 2016 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

In the Install, Available Software dialog go to the Available Software Sites... and make sure that everything other than Indigo repos disabled.

You can almost certainly advance quite some way, but very recent versions run into trouble with needing Java 8 for which really old versions of Eclipse don't work. I suspect you could advance to Xtext 2.8.

If you require your legacy work to be useable by anyone else you should agree on the version of Xtext that you use. Xtext 2.0 thru 2.3 improved quite a bit, without being totally faithful wrt API. 2.3 thru 2.6 are more interchangeable. IIRC 2.7 has a breaking change as does 2.9.

I would recommend 2.3.1 if you really need to use an old version.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Setting up Indigo with Xtext [message #1750360 is a reply to message #1750284] Tue, 20 December 2016 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay so,

I have started with a fresh copy of Indigo classic 64 bit.

Now I get to install Xtext but I get this error mentioned here (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=488377):
"An error occurred while processing the signatures for the file"

From what I understand this is because the jars are signed using SHA256 not SHA1 using java 8 no 7.

What should I do about that? Can I just resign them myself or something and if so where can I directly download the jars?
Re: Setting up Indigo with Xtext [message #1750362 is a reply to message #1750360] Tue, 20 December 2016 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
you can have a look at these distros and run with java 6
http://download.itemis.com/distros/

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Setting up Indigo with Xtext [message #1750363 is a reply to message #1750360] Tue, 20 December 2016 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

Indigo has some overt incompatbilities with Java 8 and probably many obscure ones.

It seems very strange that your legacy requirements allow you to use Java 8, which did not exist for Indigo, yet require you to use Indigo which is embarrassingly old.

If you really really want to use Indigo, get a consistent Indigo environment going then selectively install more recent functionality that you may find helpful. As I noted earlier, Xtext 2.8 may be as far as you can go.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Setting up Indigo with Xtext [message #1750365 is a reply to message #1750363] Tue, 20 December 2016 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

You got me wrong, I am using Java 7 and want to use Indigo along with it.

The problem is that newer Xtext versions are signed with SHA256 which is not available in Java 7.

I will be checking out these distros.

Thanks
Re: Setting up Indigo with Xtext [message #1750392 is a reply to message #1750365] Tue, 20 December 2016 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have installed java 8 hoping that the signature problem java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException would go away.

Nothing happened and the problem still exists. I guess the only thing I can do is to upgrade eclipse version is that it?
Re: Setting up Indigo with Xtext [message #1750393 is a reply to message #1750392] Tue, 20 December 2016 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
i assume it works if you use and old eclipse, an old java, and an old xtext.
btw what is the reason you want to stick at indigo?
can you please elaborate a bit of what you are trying to do?

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Setting up Indigo with Xtext [message #1750447 is a reply to message #1750393] Wed, 21 December 2016 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am working on a massive tool that is Xtext based and till this day it was only 32 bit. We work on a 32 bit Indigo eclipse with Xtext 2.9.2 installed, so that's what I am trying to do but on a 64 bit eclipse to provide a 64 bit version of our application. To migrate to another version of eclipse it would take a lot of time and would delay us for a lot time.
Re: Setting up Indigo with Xtext [message #1750454 is a reply to message #1750447] Wed, 21 December 2016 09:00 Go to previous message
Hi

If you have a working reference just make sure that all the 64 bit installs are for very similar versions.

Replicating a legacy environment may save you time today, but in the long term attempting to live in the past costs an ever increasing amount of time. If you are motivated to change one aspect then you are setting up a new environment so you might as well make it a sensible one. Using a perverse mismatch may work if you are lucky, you have demonstrated that it doesn't, so don't waste yet more time on a blind alley that you will surely abandon fairly soon.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:mismatch between a grammar expression and its corresponding model
Next Topic:documentation on rule fragments
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:32:50 GMT 2024