Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » eclipse - what a horrible tool! how to make this piece of sh.. work right?
eclipse - what a horrible tool! how to make this piece of sh.. work right? [message #1750199] Sat, 17 December 2016 13:29 Go to next message
JC JC is currently offline JC JCFriend
hi,

i'm having many problems with eclipse luna and i just can't find any explanation for that. i've already researched a lot with no success. i've even posted threads here with no response at all. currently i have 3 inconvenient issues on eclipse that i'd like to see solved:

1) eclipse crashes many times during start up. then, after many attempts, it opens. this issue started on day one after i moved from eclipse helios to luna. i had never had this problem with helios before. i've attached a log file in case someone can help. there are several error messages in the log and i can't say which one is the cause of the problem. i work in a team and i'm the only one having this problem. it seems it is a computer related issue because eclipse settings and plug-ins are the same on every computer in my team.

2) control+o will not work on a javascript source code. when i press control+o, eclipse shows me the list of methods and variables in the js source file, as expected. however, when i click on a method name in the list, eclipse won't jump me to the method declaration, but to the 1st occurrence of that method in the source code. that is, control+o, in javascript, is working like a control+f. how to make control+o bring me to the method declaration, just like it does on a java source file?

3) on the 'pending changes' view i used to see the name of all source files changed and available for checkin under the 'unresolved' folder. i mean, before the issue started, right after changing a source code i could instantly see the source file name in the 'pending changes-unresolved' list, available for checkin. for some mysterious reason it stopped working this way out of nowhere. now i have to press the ''refresh changes'' button in the sandbox in order to see the changes to checkin. how to make things work as desired, please?

i've been working in IT for decades, but only for 2 years with eclipse and web technologies in general and i have to say that i have never seen such a problematic and faulty product like eclipse before.

thanks in advance for any help.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 December 2016 21:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: eclipse - what a horrible tool! how to make this piece of sh.. work right? [message #1750200 is a reply to message #1750199] Sat, 17 December 2016 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Two of those posts did get responses, without any followup from you. All of them were asking about Luna, a version that was superseded twice by the time you first asked about it.

One of the first messages in the attached log indicates "Unable to clean the storage area: C:\kdi\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi". So, why is that? Are you certain that your user login has complete ownership and permissions on that directory tree? Has anything about your installation changed since you unzipped it? Did you add something to the "dropins"?

If you're willing to move up to the version that's supported, Neon.1 (soon Neon.2), you might get answers from asking in the Web Tools Platform forum, https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/f/251/ . JavaScript support is in a state of flux, though, reengineering a considerable amount of the internals to reduce its reported spikes in CPU and memory usage, so you may find that the current version lacks features you relied on.

Your last question should mention which source control system you're using. More than one integrates into Eclipse, and there's no way to tell, from what's written, who provides it. Whether it's from Eclipse.org or not, does it have an update? If you are using the same version you used with Helios, should you be? And are you making all of these file content changes from within the Eclipse UI?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Sat, 17 December 2016 18:16]

Re: eclipse - what a horrible tool! how to make this piece of sh.. work right? [message #1750202 is a reply to message #1750200] Sat, 17 December 2016 19:12 Go to previous message
JC JC is currently offline JC JCFriend
hi,

thanks for the reply.

i've checked the 'instant notification' box or so in order to know when someone answers the thread, but it isn't working. i have to come here periodically to check for replies.

1) i'm working at the very same computer i used to with helios before. yes, i think i have all needed permissions on the computer. i don't think anything has changed since i unzipped it. i don't know what you mean by 'dropins'. this issue occurring when trying to open luna happens since day one. i installed and configured eclipse, overseen by a mate who has done it tens of times before. the next day i couldn't open it easily and it's been like this ever since. do you think the root cause for this problem is because i can't clean the storage area? how about the rest of the messages? edit: i've just read somewhere that this error message can be caused by other instances of eclipse still running. that would be plausible since i try to open eclipse many times until i actually get it. so, it is possible that a previous attempt will hang for a while in memory despite not being visible to me. that would add some error messages to the log that aren't pertinent to the real issue. i think the right log file to look for answers is the one related to the 1st attempt of the day.

2) i'll try the neon version, then. i'm not sure it will work with ALM and RTC from ibm, though. have to verify that.

3) 'pending changes' will save the source code on ALM from ibm. this issue showed up the day before yesterday. before that, luna's pending changes view was working fine. the file changes are made from within eclipse, as i edit, create and modify the source code, just how it is supposed to be. something altered the way pending changes functions (out of nowhere). i do not install anything in eclipse because i know it is touchy. i didn't install or modify anything this week. i was wondering if someone could teach me how to set up eclipse so 'pending changes' can automatically see the changes in the source code again.

thanks.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 December 2016 21:23]

Previous Topic:Eclipse Plugin Uses
Next Topic:Configuring issue angularjs with eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:57:10 GMT 2024