Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Shift Delete or Delete
Shift Delete or Delete [message #1748630] Fri, 25 November 2016 13:01 Go to next message
Tristan Faure is currently offline Tristan FaureFriend
Hello !
one coworker told me that it is disturbing to have binding to "Delete" key to Delete to model action in diagram.

it makes sense to him to have delete key bind to delete to model in model explorer but in diagram he founds that a little too aggressive and less ergonomic (if he is in the diagram he wants to delete elements in the diagram).

Obviously we can change the binding in our case thanks to Eclipse preferences (by the way the label in menu is not change .....) but what do you think ? Do you feel comfortable with this default binding ?

Re: Shift Delete or Delete [message #1748631 is a reply to message #1748630] Fri, 25 November 2016 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vincent Lorenzo is currently offline Vincent LorenzoFriend
Hi Tristan,
the current binding allows to have the same behavior (semantic deletion) from ModelExplorer and from Diagram with DEL. I know that some others tools use a different binding for semantic deletion, like IBM Rhapsody with Shift+DEL from a Diagram and Del from the Explorer).

This subject reappears regularly since I'm working in the Team. I know we already changed at least 2 times the keybinding for delete in the diagram.

After several changes, I accepted to keep this one, but I agree, for users coming from others Modeling Tools, it could be disturbing. But for newcomers, I think it would be disturbing too to have a different behavior on same keybinding according to the context.

/Vincent
Re: Shift Delete or Delete [message #1748632 is a reply to message #1748631] Fri, 25 November 2016 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for this feedback and the history, by the way it should be nice to fix right click menu label when binding is changed

Re: Shift Delete or Delete [message #1748638 is a reply to message #1748632] Fri, 25 November 2016 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vincent Lorenzo is currently offline Vincent LorenzoFriend
I didn't found the old bugs for changing keybinding for Delete from the Model and Delete from Diagram, nevertheless, I remember perfectly (because I was assigned on this task) to tried to changes Delete action keybinding for Diagrams only.
I know Eclipse allows to override keybinding in the preferences, according to a given context, but as you saw it, it didn't work. But I have no idea about this bug, excepted if the Papyrus Diagram are not members of the Eclipse Context called Diagram Edition...

I remember too, I tried to my our own command (in replacement of org.eclipse.edit.ui.delete) but we also abandon this idea, because we met conflict doing it DEL as keybinding with the default Delete action.

Re: Shift Delete or Delete [message #1748647 is a reply to message #1748638] Fri, 25 November 2016 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is strange because I ve changed the binding using the windows preferences menu and the modifications worked for me (except the label change)

Re: Shift Delete or Delete [message #1748656 is a reply to message #1748647] Fri, 25 November 2016 18:26 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Compatibility with Rhapsody or RSA may be optional, but surely compatibility with Sirius is a must?

If Sirius is able to delete from diagram, within a diagram, Papyrus should be able to clone the approach.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:Share custom palettes
Next Topic:Object diagram in Papyrus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:48:11 GMT 2024