Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » OCL » pre and post conditions in OCL metamodel
pre and post conditions in OCL metamodel [message #1748556] Thu, 24 November 2016 10:49 Go to next message
meriem lahr is currently offline meriem lahrFriend
Hi all,

I would like to express transformation constraints (preconditions, postconditions and invariants) that conform to the OCL metamodel.

The OCL metamodel contains a definition of OCL expressions. But how to indicate, for an OCL expression, if it is a postcondition, precondition or invariant?

Thank you very much
Re: pre and post conditions in OCL metamodel [message #1748557 is a reply to message #1748556] Thu, 24 November 2016 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Complete OCL supports definition of an OCL document that complements an existing meta-model. It provides for the definition of pre/post-conditions on operations.

If your transformation language provides a metamodel, as QVT does, then since a Transformation is-a Class you could add invariants to the Transformation. However a Rule is not an Operation so you cannot add pre/post-conditions to Rules.

However you write vaguely that you want transformation pre/post-conditions. What are they? A declarative model transformation has only two states, the input and the output, so do you really just mean a set of invariants on the input and a set of invariants on the output? These can be specified by Complete OCL using your input/output meta-models totally independent of your unspecified transformation technology.

If you are looking towards new technology, I can see a case whereby a transformation language's input/output model declarations could be extended to support invariants that could optionally be checked at run-time and could be exploited by the execution.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: pre and post conditions in OCL metamodel [message #1748559 is a reply to message #1748557] Thu, 24 November 2016 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meriem lahr is currently offline meriem lahrFriend
Hi Ed,

Thanks for your answer and sorry, my question was not clear. The transformation constraints are as follow :

constraints on a model to be transformed
constraints on a model to be a valid result of the transformation (these constraints are independent of the source model)
constraints on the evolution between source and target models

My OCL constraints specification doesn't depend on a language or an execution (but they are specific to input/output metamodel). My goal is to be able to express them conforming to a metamodel in order provide them as input of a higher order transformation.

Regards

Meriem

[Updated on: Thu, 24 November 2016 16:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: pre and post conditions in OCL metamodel [message #1748571 is a reply to message #1748559] Thu, 24 November 2016 15:14 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

I am no clearer what you are really trying to do that I did not answer earlier.

Always a good idea to give an example, rather than expect me to successfully guess at what you mean.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:choosing "Property::CompatibleDefaultExpression" for programmatically defined pivot types
Next Topic:Loading oclxmi files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:23:34 GMT 2024