Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Multi-process debugging not hitting breakpoints
Multi-process debugging not hitting breakpoints [message #1748183] Sun, 20 November 2016 22:10 Go to next message
Fabian Maurer is currently offline Fabian MaurerFriend
Hello there,

I'm currently trying to debug wine with eclipse, and have troubles getting breakpoints to work the way I want them to.
Using gdb 7.12 and eclipse oxygen (4.7.0 M3).

Wine consists of many libraries, and I'm trying to set a breakpoint in one of those libraries. Now I want the process to break if a certain library function is called.
It works fine as long as there is only one process, but if a new process is spawned by execv, then the breakpoints are ignored for that process. But I want all process that use the libraries to be debugged, and breaking at the breakpoint.

I tried enabling "Non stop mode" and "Automatically debug forked processes", but to no avail. The processes show up in the debug window, but breakpoints only work for the original process.

I googled around a lot, but I didn't find anything for that specific case. How can I achieve that, if it's possible?
Re: Multi-process debugging not hitting breakpoints [message #1749224 is a reply to message #1748183] Sat, 03 December 2016 16:49 Go to previous message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
You have left out essential information, so I'll guess: You want to debug a shared library (.so) which is a component of the Wine emulator running under Linux.

There is a difference between a static library (.a) and a shared library (.so). A static library is a collection of linkable binary object modules. A shared library is a specially-built run file with information of the entry points of the component functions. The shared library is compiled into a location-independent format, so that the same code image can be run at different program addresses without any changes.

Your problem is at least partially off-topic. Please Google 'linux shared library debug'.

The main problem here is that different processes using a shared library may, and usually will, use different program-visible addresses for the same functions, so it is difficult for the debugger to know how to set the breakpoints.

For more information, please read tutorials on Linux memory handling.

--

-TV

--

Tauno Voipio
Previous Topic:how to config debuger for an specific program
Next Topic:console outputs on "hidden" sources
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:48:44 GMT 2024