Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Eclipse is very slow on Linux(Eclipse updates the UI very slowly while writing code)
Eclipse is very slow on Linux [message #1747994] Thu, 17 November 2016 14:14 Go to next message
Samuel Navarro is currently offline Samuel NavarroFriend
I am running a Fedora 24 OS (with GNOME 3) and I just installed the Eclipse CDT package from the Fedora repositories (Eclipse CDT Neon.1), and it turned out to be extremely slow, but only when writing code or scrolling, the rest of the UI works perfectly and really quickly.

I have done some research about the topic and seemingly this problem is usually related to the GTK backend, and is commonly solved by running eclipse under GTK2 instead of GTK3. However, this has not helped me at all. The options I have tried are:

export SWT_GTK3=0

And

eclipse --launcher.GTK_version 2 (also tried in eclipse.ini)

These two options effectively switch to GTK2, which is noticeable because the graphical appearance changes.

I tried also older versions of Eclipse (Juno, Kepler and Luna) and the problem still exists, probably even worse. I have increased the memory size for the JVM to 3GB and the problem remains intact.

The underlying hardware is a 6 core Intel Xeon (12 virtual cores with Hyperthreading) and 32 GB of RAM, so I assume this should not represent a problem.

I also noticed that while scrolling or writing, one of my cores goes to 70%-100% utilization, which explains the lag, but I don't know how to solve.

Is there any other option I can try?
Re: Eclipse is very slow on Linux [message #1748057 is a reply to message #1747994] Fri, 18 November 2016 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Samuel Navarro is currently offline Samuel NavarroFriend
Update: I tried even older versions of Eclipse and the problem is gone. The most recent version which doesn't show slowness at editing is Indigo. I can get away with using Indigo, but I'd pretty much rather use Neon. Could there be a reason for this bug?
Re: Eclipse is very slow on Linux [message #1748418 is a reply to message #1748057] Wed, 23 November 2016 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
No definitive answer but I've found Eclipse to be very slow once memory usage and a large number of GTK objects have been created. Even when memory usage gets smaller and the programs allocating the objects have been released (usually Chrome and Firefox), Eclipse remains slow until restarted.

I am using Fedora 22 with Eclipse MARS.2.

Re: Eclipse is very slow on Linux [message #1749238 is a reply to message #1748418] Sat, 03 December 2016 21:57 Go to previous message
Brian Lim is currently offline Brian LimFriend
In my case Eclipse Neon is very slow in scrolling via the page-down and page-up keys and renaming (shift-alt-R). I did not experience these problems when I was using Mars.

This was on Ubuntu 14.04.
Previous Topic:console outputs on "hidden" sources
Next Topic:how to stop editor to show non printable characters?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:08:37 GMT 2024