Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Remove eclipse from the end of the installation directory
Remove eclipse from the end of the installation directory [message #1747124] Wed, 09 November 2016 18:00 Go to next message
Iain Hallam is currently offline Iain HallamFriend
I'm on Linux, and I'm trying to create a shared installation in /opt/eclipse/neon. There will be a single install, no different versions, so I turned off bundle pools. However, when installing, Oomph always creates an extra directory, /opt/eclipse/neon/eclipse and installs in there. Is there a way to force the installer to respect the directory I set and not add levels?
Re: Remove eclipse from the end of the installation directory [message #1747182 is a reply to message #1747124] Thu, 10 November 2016 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Sorry, it will always do that. This is the branding name for the product. On an OS like Mac, this ends up being the name of the application. It's less relevant on Windows and Linux. In any case,

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Remove eclipse from the end of the installation directory [message #1747188 is a reply to message #1747182] Thu, 10 November 2016 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iain Hallam is currently offline Iain HallamFriend
Can I create a new product in Oomph and install that to change the final part of the name? What setting would I need to change in the Oomph project?

Thanks.
Re: Remove eclipse from the end of the installation directory [message #1747242 is a reply to message #1747188] Fri, 11 November 2016 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's computed by org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.AbstractSetupTaskContext.getProductFolderName(ProductVersion, OS) so an annotation with this source http://www.eclipse.org/oomph/setup/BrandingInfo and detail key folderName would let you rename it. But note that additional keys are considered:
  public static String getProductFolderName(ProductVersion productVersion, OS os)
  {
    String osgiOS = os.getOsgiOS();
    String osgiWS = os.getOsgiWS();
    String osgiArch = os.getOsgiArch();

String[] keys = new String[] { //
        AnnotationConstants.KEY_FOLDER_NAME + '.' + osgiOS + '.' + osgiWS + '.' + osgiArch, //
        AnnotationConstants.KEY_FOLDER_NAME + '.' + osgiOS + '.' + osgiWS, //
        AnnotationConstants.KEY_FOLDER_NAME + '.' + osgiOS, //
        AnnotationConstants.KEY_FOLDER_NAME, //
    };

So if you want something that works well on the Mac it ought to have an upper case name and end with .app.

Ed Merks
Re: Remove eclipse from the end of the installation directory [message #1767468 is a reply to message #1747242] Thu, 06 July 2017 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Hofmann is currently offline David HofmannFriend
Is there currently a simple way to omit the eclipse subfolder completely?
Re: Remove eclipse from the end of the installation directory [message #1767487 is a reply to message #1767468] Thu, 06 July 2017 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, there will always be the branding folder.

Ed Merks
Re: Remove eclipse from the end of the installation directory [message #1767588 is a reply to message #1767487] Fri, 07 July 2017 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Hofmann is currently offline David HofmannFriend
Is this branding subfolder required for a specific reason? Our customers/users are a bit confused by this subfolder.

I have a suggestion regarding this. In my solution, the subfolder is only created if a folderName annotation is present. If no annotation exists, the subfolder is omitted. To achieve this, I only had to change one line in the method org.eclipse.oomph.util.OS.getRelativeProductFolder(String). Original version:

public String getRelativeProductFolder(String folderName)
  {
    if (StringUtil.isEmpty(folderName))
    {
      return "eclipse";
    }

return folderName;
  }

I just changed the line return "eclipse" to return "". All path concatenations with this empty string will effectively result in the parent folder path, which is exactly what we want to achieve. Our installations run without problems and the installed product can be used without any problems.

Now of course the question is whether this approaoch would be acceptable for you. If not, which other way would you propose to support a "subfolder-less" installation?
Re: Remove eclipse from the end of the installation directory [message #1767624 is a reply to message #1767588] Fri, 07 July 2017 18:48 Go to previous message
I mentioned the Mac case already, in which case that folder is the application name. I'm not keen on revisiting this entire design to produce something coherent that's different from how it works now. On Mac it's important any anywhere else you can create links or shortcuts or whatever...

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:Disable Bundle pool checkbox by default
Next Topic:Escape ${} in "Resource Creation"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:28:22 GMT 2024