Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » What does the "Requirements Update" dialog do?
What does the "Requirements Update" dialog do? [message #1746752] Fri, 04 November 2016 08:28 Go to next message
Wim Jongman is currently offline Wim JongmanFriend

Hi guys,

> Monday
Oomph presents me with this dialog. What does it mean?

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=getfile&id=27482&

> Tuesday
I pressed the install button and now I know.

I upgraded to Oxygen by adding the repos and "check for updates". After restart, I see this popup. Not knowing what it was but trusting in the might of Oomph I pressed the install button. After restart I was downgraded to Neon.1 again.

Before I pressed the button I thought it could mean two things:

1. Oomph is confused and wants me to downgrade.
2. Oomph sees some missing bits after upgrade to O2 and wants to fix it.

I hoped for 2 but I got 1. Can you tell me a little bit about what is going on?

Cheers,

Wim
  • Attachment: unnamed.png
    (Size: 21.61KB, Downloaded 7697 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 04 November 2016 08:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What does the "Requirements Update" dialog do? [message #1746768 is a reply to message #1746752] Fri, 04 November 2016 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Comments below.

Wim Jongman wrote on Fri, 04 November 2016 04:28
Hi guys,

> Monday
Oomph presents me with this dialog. What does it mean?

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=getfile&id=27482&

This dialog is new to 1.6. Before this dialog was added, Oomph would have simply performed the p2 task and made this change. The shows what will be installed and what is currently actually installed.
Quote:

> Tuesday
I pressed the install button and now I know.

I upgraded to Oxygen by adding the repos and "check for updates". After restart, I see this popup. Not knowing what it was but trusting in the might of Oomph I pressed the install button. After restart I was downgraded to Neon.1 again.

Indeed. No doubt you created the installation choosing Neon as the product version and that product version constrains the root unit versions to ensure you don't accidentally upgrade to something other than Neon. If you'd picked Latest it would have updated to Oxygen as soon as an Oxygen build was available.
Quote:

Before I pressed the button I thought it could mean two things:

1. Oomph is confused and wants me to downgrade.
2. Oomph sees some missing bits after upgrade to O2 and wants to fix it.

I hoped for 2 but I got 1. Can you tell me a little bit about what is going on?

The dialog was added so that users are aware that their installation will be changed and to give users full control over whether the installation will be changed.
Quote:

Cheers,

Wim

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: What does the "Requirements Update" dialog do? [message #1746879 is a reply to message #1746768] Mon, 07 November 2016 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

> The dialog was added so that users are aware that their installation will be changed and to give users full control over whether the installation will be changed.

I see. Thanks. Obviously, the dialog was not clear to me and there is no help yet (I was looking for the spinning question mark Wink.

> Indeed. No doubt you created the installation choosing Neon

Yes. It would be nice if that (my setup requirements) could be corrected. Do I have to run Oomph stand alone again? Now I get the update dialog on every restart. I can switch it off, but do I want to do that? Do I miss other updates if I do?

Thanks,

Wim
Re: What does the "Requirements Update" dialog do? [message #1746881 is a reply to message #1746879] Mon, 07 November 2016 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, help would be good.

You can open the Installation setup (Navigate -> Open Setup -> Installation) and in the properties view change the product version to say Oxygen or Latest and then Perform Setup tasks will update the installation. Depending on whether you have other things than the product version contributing to what the p2 task does you would miss updates to those contributions. But of course any time you manually perform the p2 task, it will change the installation to be Neon again...

Ed Merks
Re: What does the "Requirements Update" dialog do? [message #1771565 is a reply to message #1746881] Mon, 28 August 2017 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Mikes is currently offline Robert MikesFriend
I think the problem here is that "user-developers" (who only use Eclipse) don't have the same in-depth knowledge as "contributor-developers" do. Could we at least improve on the error message? "The installation does not satisfy the requirements list below" doesn't give any hint as to what went wrong and how to fix it. Something like this would be better: "The current Product Version property in the Installation Setup excludes the below versions. If you would like to proceed, please update your Eclipse Installation Setup properties and re-run the update."

But an even better solution would be to provide an "Override" or "Update Installation Setup and Proceed" button that would allow the user to continue without the need to find the menu item under Navigate, display the Property View, set the property and re-run the update.
Re: What does the "Requirements Update" dialog do? [message #1771606 is a reply to message #1771565] Mon, 28 August 2017 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please open a Bugzilla enhancement request.

Ed Merks
Re: What does the "Requirements Update" dialog do? [message #1771669 is a reply to message #1771606] Tue, 29 August 2017 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Mikes is currently offline Robert MikesFriend
Done: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=521528
Re: What does the "Requirements Update" dialog do? [message #1773698 is a reply to message #1771565] Tue, 03 October 2017 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darshana Waasala is currently offline Darshana WaasalaFriend
Me too have the same problem of getting the requirements update request at every start-up of eclipse. (I have updated to oxygen from neon).
I tried to find out some way to update the installation setup using (navigate -> open setup -> installation) but could not find any support in the internet.
Is there any way that I can fix the update or will I have to delete eclipse neon and reinstall eclipse oxygen ? :)
Re: What does the "Requirements Update" dialog do? [message #1773854 is a reply to message #1773698] Thu, 05 October 2017 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=1082235&goto=1746881&#msg_1746881
Re: What does the "Requirements Update" dialog do? [message #1778754 is a reply to message #1746752] Wed, 20 December 2017 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kyle Manning is currently offline Kyle ManningFriend
I recently installed Eclipse to work on a Java program. I am now getting an Eclipse Update window when I open Eclipse. The information in the window is not descriptive at all of what the problem is or what the two buttons: Install and Skip will do.

index.php/fa/31647/0/

I have a pretty basic Eclispse install. Why am I getting this window?

The message says "The installation does not satisfy the requirements list below." The list has org.eclipse.recommenders.news.rcp.feature. What does this mean? Please decrypt this message.

The install button makes no sense since the message is that the installation does not satisfy the requirements. What will be installed? And why doesn't it list what will be installed?

What are the impacts if I use the skip button? And what if I select "Remember my decision".

Hopefully, someone can answer my questions and better yet improve the window so that it makes sense.
Re: What does the "Requirements Update" dialog do? [message #1778881 is a reply to message #1778754] Fri, 22 December 2017 20:43 Go to previous message
This suggests your installation doesn't contain a feature that's expected to be in your installation. This particular feature looks like a new feature that provide a news feed. You can install it, or not install it, and you can decide if you want that choice to be made automatically the next time this situation arises. I.e., you can auto update to install new things when there are new features to install or you can choose never to do that automatically nor to be asked.

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:How to debug an Oomph setup model?
Next Topic:Authetication error for my eclipse ID
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:07:55 GMT 2024