Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Eclipse Virgo vs Pax-web(What is the difference of these two projects)
Eclipse Virgo vs Pax-web [message #1746626] Wed, 02 November 2016 08:47 Go to next message
Pavel No is currently offline Pavel NoFriend
Hi all,

I need to work with web archive bundles on osgi. Currently I use pax-web. Could anyone explain the advantages of using virgo? When should I use Virgo and when should I use pax-web.
Re: Eclipse Virgo vs Pax-web [message #1746641 is a reply to message #1746626] Wed, 02 November 2016 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GianMaria Romanato is currently offline GianMaria RomanatoFriend
Hi,

I am not familiar with Pax-Web. I believe it implements the OSGi HTTPService specification, which is a whiteboard pattern and will register your servlets by taking them from the OSGi registry and by publishing them under a sub-path of the context root. In addition to that, Pax-Web also provides a WAR extender that can detect the web.xml in your bundles and automatically register the included servlets in the embedded Jetty as long as the bundle MANIFEST.MF contains the header Web-ContextRoot which specifies the context root.

If I am not mistaken, Virgo supports out of the box only the latter approach, which corresponds to using WAB files, Web Application Bundles, part of the OSGi enterprise specification. You can however deploy the OSGi HTTPService implementation from Equinox in Virgo or Pax-Web itself if you prefer the OSGi HTTPService whiteboard approach.

In my opinion some of the nice features of Virgo over plain Equinox or Felix are that Virgo:

• Virgo can deploy different type of artifacts: plain bundles, par files, plan files, and even non-OSGi WAR files. These artifact types provide a great deal of flexibility for managing large modular applications
  • Virgo provides a customized OSGi resolver (QuasiResolver framework) which gives very good error messages when a resolution error occurs
  • Virgo provides very good diagnostic capabilities as it can be configured to produce heap dump, thread dump, log file sifting for every uncaught exception occurred in the container
  • Virgo includes an OSGi console with several administrative commands
  • Virgo is ready to use: you just download Virgo and can start deploying applications, you don't need to get Equinox/Felix and install Pax-Web
  • Virgo is entirely configured via XML and properties files, which makes it easy to automate deployment
  • Virgo supports multiple JAAS LoginModules for authentication
  • Virgo embeds a Tomcat server, which can be fully configured
  • When deploying multiple Web Apps (WAB files), you can leverage on the Tomcat SSO valve to share authentication information across thems
  • Virgo includes an OSGi-ready version of Spring out of the box
  • If you like developing OSGi bundles using Eclipse PDE, the Virgo Tools for Eclipse enable you to use your PDE projects with Virgo.

The above are just few of the good features I can think of, I am sure other users could add other items to the list.

Giamma.

Re: Eclipse Virgo vs Pax-web [message #1746643 is a reply to message #1746641] Wed, 02 November 2016 13:07 Go to previous message
Pavel No is currently offline Pavel NoFriend
Thank you very much for such detailed answer!
Previous Topic:F2F Meeting at EclipseCon Europe on the 25th of October in Ludwigsburg
Next Topic:How to find out when a plan is successfully started?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 03:54:26 GMT 2024