Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » There is no report design object available.(Need some advice on where to look next.)
There is no report design object available. [message #1746230] Tue, 25 October 2016 17:23 Go to next message
Sylvain Roy is currently offline Sylvain RoyFriend
Hi, this is my first attemps at installing and configuring Birt. I followed these instruction to install birt on a CentOs server.
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2014/12/deploy-birt-viewer-for-tomcat/

using java: openjdk version "1.8.0_111"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_111-b15)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.111-b15, mixed mode)

Tomcat 8.5.6

and Birt 4.4.1 runtime.

The test report works fine, but the report I generated dont. I pass the full path of the file as the __report parameter "/home/.. ../report.rptdesign".
the file is present and I can open it on eclipse in the designer.

I know this report uses mysql as a datasource (i did not designed the report) and i cant find a way to make sure the connection between birt and mysql is ok.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction please?

Thank you!
Re: There is no report design object available. [message #1746243 is a reply to message #1746230] Tue, 25 October 2016 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Sheets is currently offline Jerry SheetsFriend
You didn't provide enough information to really know what might be going wrong, but since the sample report runs it may be as simple as adding the MySQL Driver to the location shown in the image. The instructions in the link you show above doesn't tell that you need to add the JDBC Jar file for the database you are trying to connect to.

index.php/fa/27436/0/

• Attachment: Drivers.png
    (Size: 9.76KB, Downloaded 747 times)
Re: There is no report design object available. [message #1746249 is a reply to message #1746243] Tue, 25 October 2016 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your reply, it gave me juste enought information to be able to progress and know exactly was is wrong, i just need to know how to do it.

1- I change my birt from 4.4.1 to 4.2.2, i was not able with 4.4.1 to found the directory to install the mysql Connector.
2- was then able to copy into WEB-INF/lib/ the mysql-connector-java-3.1.14-bin.jar
3- as I was testing I found out that you cannot access report file outside of webapp out of the box. the report I was trying to make was in /home/user/public_html/files/tmp/ and birt is in /home/tomcat/apache-tomcat-8.5.6/webapps/birt/

If i copy the report into birt/report/ it works fine. Now i will try and find how to allow birt to access /home/user/public_html/files/tmp/.

have any pointers on that?

Thank you and Have a nice day!

[Updated on: Wed, 26 October 2016 12:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: There is no report design object available. [message #1746316 is a reply to message #1746249] Wed, 26 October 2016 19:22 Go to previous message
Just to provide a follow up.

Last thing I did to allow birt to access a external wa to create a symbolic link in birt as birt/reports tha was pointing to the folder where my website was dropping the reports.

whit this my birt is working fine.

Hope it helps someone else in the future!
Previous Topic:unhandled event loop exception on preview prototype tab
Next Topic:Eclipse Downloads link
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:58:46 GMT 2024