Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Titan » Titan in Docker
Titan in Docker [message #1745657] Fri, 14 October 2016 07:27 Go to next message
Naum Spaseski is currently offline Naum SpaseskiFriend

Hello everyone,

I have a simple question, is there an official Docker image for Titan? Because I found one in the Docker repository, but I'm not sure what is really inside: https://hub.docker.com/r/jeeie/ttcn-titan/

Thanks in advance,
Naum.
Re: Titan in Docker [message #1745659 is a reply to message #1745657] Fri, 14 October 2016 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elemer Lelik is currently offline Elemer LelikFriend
Hi Naum,

No there isn't. We don't have the resources to create and distribute additional virtual images.
Besides, it's a matter of minutes for one to create it's own Docker image loaded with Titan.

We are aware of the above Docker image but we have no affiliation with its creator hence we can take no responsibility for its consistency.

Best regards
Elemer

Re: Titan in Docker [message #1774260 is a reply to message #1745657] Thu, 12 October 2017 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sascha Hackel is currently offline Sascha HackelFriend
Hey Naum,

as the topic is some time ago and you may found out by yourself, the image simply run the "native" Hello World test that is shipped with the Titan installation.

I run it months ago but I think it could be a good starting point to create a more sophisticated image, as there is no offical one (Elemer stated).

Best regards
Sascha
Re: Titan in Docker [message #1774374 is a reply to message #1774260] Fri, 13 October 2017 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Sascha, Naum,

so far we did not see the need to distribute Titan in Docker images;
Titan installs pretty quickly , even when compiled form source it should be a matter of minutes, so I don't see a great added value here.
besides we don't really have the resources to distribute a number of Docker images next to the binaries.
However if you think there's a serious need for that, and especially if someone volunteers to assist us, I'm open to suggestions.

Best regards
Elemer

Re: Titan in Docker [message #1774475 is a reply to message #1774374] Mon, 16 October 2017 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hello Sascha, Elemer,

@Sascha: we use that image with a shared disk where we store our test suites, so it won't disturb the Titan installation and we are free to run any test suite, not only those that would be inside the image.

@Elemer: The value of Docker is not in the time consumed in compiling or something, but it serves as a platform that is independent from the influences of the host system. For example, if you prepare the image with Titan on the basis of docker Ubuntu with certain compiler (gcc/clang/whatever), you can run the same machine on all linux distributions (ubuntu, debian, fedora, suse, RHEL, arch, etc.), even on Windows or MacOS, and always have the same result, with the same binaries as if you have used Ubuntu.

I'm here to help you if you want to provide Dockerized Titan :)

Best regards,
Naum

[Updated on: Mon, 16 October 2017 07:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Titan in Docker [message #1774631 is a reply to message #1774475] Wed, 18 October 2017 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Naum,

I guess I have to ask Eclipse about distributing Docker images; one argument against might be the somewhat larger size. If they are fine with it, I might take you up on your offer.

Thank you and regards

Elemer

Re: Titan in Docker [message #1774653 is a reply to message #1774631] Wed, 18 October 2017 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hello Elemer,

In fact, there is nothing uploaded on the Eclipse site. When you prepare the image (Dockerfile), it will create the machine locally and afterwards you can make it public in hub.docker.com, from where everyone can download it, use it and eventually integrate it in other docker containers. The only thing that can/should be uploaded in the GitHub repository is the Dockerfile.

For example, see the docker for NodeJS: https://hub.docker.com/_/node/
And the corresponding dockerfile for the latest nodejs version: https://github.com/nodejs/docker-node/blob/15d780e932fc8cd4a145a36cff405610c8c71b0c/8.7/Dockerfile
In the beginning it states which docker image will be the basis for this one (so, here is debian jessie), then it continues with the installation for nodejs (in fact, it creates only a layer - that is the basis of the docker-ization).

Best regards,
Naum
Re: Titan in Docker [message #1774730 is a reply to message #1774653] Thu, 19 October 2017 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Naum,

this sounds comforting;

how about this then:

in November-early December we will release Titan 6 R3A; if you create Dockerfiles I will add them to the download page,
next to Titan binaries; I thinks that's a more sensible place for them than github.

What do you think?

Elemer

Re: Titan in Docker [message #1777131 is a reply to message #1774730] Fri, 24 November 2017 19:17 Go to previous message
Harald Welte is currently offline Harald WelteFriend

Just in case anyone is interested: We at the Osmocom.org project are using doker containers for some of our tests.

You can e.g. find a Dockerfile for a debian stretch (9.0) container with titan at from which we then derive Dockerfiles for specific test suites, e.g. this Dockerfile for our GGSN tests. The associated Config file configures the libjunitlogger2 output plugin to generate reports for Jenkins integration as can be seen at this jenkins test results analyzer link. This is achieved by scripts like this which copy the resulting junitxml where jenkins can find it.
Previous Topic:make error in LTE test of coding by asn1c
Next Topic:New Titan products in support of SS7/SIGTRAN/telecom core protocols
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:57:52 GMT 2024