Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » [GEF4/Zest]Performance issues with larger graphs
[GEF4/Zest]Performance issues with larger graphs [message #1745134] Wed, 05 October 2016 14:35 Go to next message
Christian B. is currently offline Christian B.Friend
Hello,

I'm currently looking into GEF4 for visualizing graphs. With the help of the examples I created a small application to test things. It is working as intended, however, when I use graphs with 50 nodes and 100 edges (or more), the performance becomes quite bad. Selecting nodes is delayed, dragging nodes is slow and dragging multiple nodes is a slideshow. I don't think the mentioned graph is very big so I'm not sure if this is how it is supposed to work.

Hardware acceleration is enabled and working. I'm using an i7-3612QM and its integrated HD Graphics 4000. I also tested the application on a desktop computer with more or less similar results. The only difference was the amount of nodes needed to go into slideshow mode.

Thanks in advance,
Christian
Re: [GEF4/Zest]Performance issues with larger graphs [message #1745184 is a reply to message #1745134] Thu, 06 October 2016 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Wienand is currently offline Matthias WienandFriend
Hi,

we recently improved the performance of the selection, focus, and hover feedback by centralizing the respective behaviors [1]. Therefore, it would be great if you could try out big graphs with the current code basis. If you still experience performance problems, we can try to tune it further.

Best regards,
Matthias

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=440958
Re: [GEF4/Zest]Performance issues with larger graphs [message #1745194 is a reply to message #1745184] Thu, 06 October 2016 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

EDIT: I did some small tests with the graphs that were causing problem, this is what I noticed so far.

Selecting nodes is much faster now. There is some odd behaviour with even bigger graphs (250 nodes, 1000 edges). Selecting a node with no node selected has a delay. Selecting one while another one is already selected is instant. Deselecting (clicking empty space) has a delay too. The same thing goes for edges. Jumping between nodes and edges has small but noticable delay. When selecting multiple nodes the rectanlge appears with a delay but selecting happens instantly when I release the mouse button.

Dragging nodes is still very slow, especially when dragging multiple nodes. But there is some improvement. The application also doesn't freeze as often anymore when dragging alot of nodes at the same time.

All of this was done with the latest milestone build.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 October 2016 10:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [GEF4/Zest]Performance issues with larger graphs [message #1745290 is a reply to message #1745194] Fri, 07 October 2016 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your feedback is very much appreciated!

> Selecting a node with no node selected has a delay. Selecting one while another one is already selected is instant.

I just tryed out the Zest Graph Example with 250 nodes / 1000 edges and can confirm the delay. However, I am unsure if it really has to do with selection being present. Please file a Bugzilla ticket (against GEF Zest) for the issue [1], so that we can keep track of it. And let us continue the discussion there.

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=GEF

Best regards,
Matthias
Re: [GEF4/Zest]Performance issues with larger graphs [message #1745405 is a reply to message #1745290] Mon, 10 October 2016 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I filed the bug report for the selection delays. I didn't mention the bad performance while dragging nodes in the report, because I don't think those issues are related.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=505634
Re: [GEF4/Zest]Performance issues with larger graphs [message #1745413 is a reply to message #1745405] Mon, 10 October 2016 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you very much!

The dragging performance definitely needs to be addressed as well (in a separate ticket). I thought it has to do with the number of edges connected to a node, but that does not seem to be the case. Moreover, the Eclipse integrated application seems to be much more laggy than the standalone application (viewer population takes forever). I will open tickets for these issues once I get working on it (probably by the end of this week) if you do not beat me to it Wink

FWIW, I already found some areas for optimization: some update methods are called too frequently (computing layout parameters). However, to find the culprits I will run a profiler.

Best regards,
Matthias
Re: [GEF4/Zest]Performance issues with larger graphs [message #1745428 is a reply to message #1745413] Mon, 10 October 2016 14:54 Go to previous message
Sounds great.
For dragging performace I noticed a correlation between the number of edges and the performance drop. I created some graphs with zero edges where dragging 100 out of 250 nodes was still fairly smooth. Once I connected all nodes to the first node in the graph the performance wasn't as good anymore when dragging multiple nodes and dragging the node with 249 edges was very slow. I don't know if this is in line with your test, it is just something I noticed and thought would be worth sharing.
Either way, thanks alot for looking into this.
Previous Topic:ZoomComboContributionItem Toolbar Height
Next Topic:GEF4 Plugin Development
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:29:48 GMT 2024