Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Integrate External Tool chain to build C project(I would like to use eclipse as C,C++ IDE but my tool chain is on linux server. How do I integrate it under eclipse mars build settings. )
Integrate External Tool chain to build C project [message #1745084] Tue, 04 October 2016 21:27 Go to next message
Pradeep Potturi is currently offline Pradeep PotturiFriend
Request to refer my attached file for more details on my request. I need some help in setting up external toolchain into my C project. So that I can build using my own makefile.

I'm using Windriver compiler. When I contacted them they said
Wind River ships Workbench IDE which is a custom version of Eclipse.
We normally don't ship Diab toolchain with Workbench.

So I need forum support in setting it up.

Thanks,
Pradeep.
Re: Integrate External Tool chain to build C project [message #1745170 is a reply to message #1745084] Wed, 05 October 2016 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
Technically, since you are using your own makefile , you don't need a tool chain.

You would still need to get the header files to the Indexer though.
Depends on how and where they are and, if not local, how to access them.
My advice is to use a local copy when possible.
I have used Eclipse across an Ethernet link. It can be maddeningly slow.

You might find Remote System Explorer handy:
https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/remote-system-explorer-ssh-telnet-ftp-and-dstore-protocols
http://help.eclipse.org/kepler/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.rse.doc.user%2Fgettingstarted%2Fg_start.html

But, to be honest, since you have a modified version of Eclipse, you should seek help from Wind River in configuring it.
Any advice here might not be compatible with your version and just waste time.

Re: Integrate External Tool chain to build C project [message #1745449 is a reply to message #1745170] Mon, 10 October 2016 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pradeep Potturi is currently offline Pradeep PotturiFriend
David,
Thanks for your reply. I will go thru your links and suggestions.
BTW, I do not have modified eclipse. But Windriver suggested to buy one from them for which I do not have budget. So I'm exploring a no cost solution.

My colleague developed a script in Perl for Codewrite. It logs in to telnet and executes a makefile on the Linux system.

I'm trying to do similar job for Eclipse since Eclipse has better code walk thru options.

Thanks again,

Regards,
Pradeep Potturi
Re: Integrate External Tool chain to build C project [message #1745452 is a reply to message #1745449] Mon, 10 October 2016 22:52 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
I used Codewrite for years and only switched to Eclipse when Great Runner Into the Ground, inc. bought them out and stopped development .

So, what exactly do you want to do differently?
You can still execute the Perl script just as you did with Codewrite.
The only other things that Eclipse provides are syntax and symbol checking.
For the latter, you need a copy of the headers being used or the ability to access them via Ethernet.

http://help.eclipse.org/neon/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.cdt.doc.user%2Freference%2Fcdt_u_prop_general_sd_entries.htm

Previous Topic:HOWTO use AVRA to assemble AVR ASM *.S files
Next Topic:Change color of highlighting for External SDK Calls
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:15:07 GMT 2024