Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Thousands of exceptions during boot, yet application is running - harmless or should be addressed?(Equinox OSGi runtime based application throws thousands of exceptions during boot yet runs - harmless or symptom of issues which should be addressed?)
Thousands of exceptions during boot, yet application is running - harmless or should be addressed? [message #1744897] Sat, 01 October 2016 23:18 Go to next message
Michal Siemaszko is currently offline Michal SiemaszkoFriend
Hi,

I'm working on upgrading a legacy application which uses Equinox as its OSGi runtime. When booted and running, there are close to a thousand bundles loaded in the container.

Since I'm working on upgrading significant parts of the application, and debugging issues still present during boot, I discovered thousands of exceptions present in the existing (trunk/production version, not the upgraded one) of the application after enabling osgi.debug.

Is seeing so many exceptions - e.g. ClassNotFound exceptions - during boot in an application which does boot however and runs, is normal? Or is it a symptom of issues which should be addressed and might come out when - e.g. now - parts of the application are being upgraded and many new bundles added and a critical point is reached where application simply will not start until underlying reason for this is solved?

Is Equinox OSGi well suited for running applications consisting of close to a thousand bundles? Are there any potential resource bottleneck related issues which should be considered in such large OSGI applications?

I will greatly appreciate your input, since I have not found much - or nothing at all - regarding issues which could cause such.

Regards,
Michal
Re: Thousands of exceptions during boot, yet application is running - harmless or should be addresse [message #1744985 is a reply to message #1744897] Mon, 03 October 2016 19:38 Go to previous message
Thomas Watson is currently offline Thomas WatsonFriend
Can you give an example of one of the exceptions? It is not possible to determine the nature of the exceptions at this point. I know ResourceBundle loading may result in a large number of class load requests for NLS classes that likely don't exists. For example, if you translatable text is shipped in *.properties files. There may be similar cases like this as well.

You mention org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader class on equinox-dev mailing list. This particular class has not been used since the Kepler release which is over 3 years old. Have you considered updating to a more recent release?
Previous Topic:Bridging Equinox To A Legacy Build System
Next Topic:CategoryPublisher app and xz compress
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 06:54:59 GMT 2024