Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model
icon5.gif  Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1744848] Fri, 30 September 2016 17:49 Go to next message
Andrzej Wasowski is currently offline Andrzej WasowskiFriend

I keep this long, so that it can help some others trying achieve the same thing as I do. TLDR: jumpt to point 8.

I have been struggling to set up a simple tutorial on how to get Xtext's web-based editor generated in a project based on pre-existing ecore model (all report below based on Xtext 2.10).

After quite some debugging I established that:

1. The Ecore model should have one top-level package, no sub-packages

So I simplified mine and used the base package property in genmodel to place the generated EMF code into the right package. Otherwise errors multiple, some of them can be worked around, but not clear what further repercussions are.

2. The EMF model project must get Xtext nature configured

The error message is very cryptic about this ("The imported package is not on the classpath of this project"). Apparently this is an old news, here is a bug report from 2.2: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=367013, yet I am getting this warning in 2.10 too.

3. Generate code from the Ecore Model (not clear which EMF projects are needed).

One likely needs to generate more than just model code from the Ecore model. There is little explicit information on what is actually needed, but the number of errors reported seems to be dropping, if I generate all, instead of just the model project.

4. Create an Xtext project from an existing Ecore model, selecting the genmodel in the wizard.

If your Ecore model project is in a Git repository then it is useful to create the Xtext project in the same repo (not in the workspace). I tend to get much more errors if part of the workspace is in a remote location -- and moving the Xtext projects to the Git repo post-factum does not seem to remove all the error messages. Have not investigate this further though. Perhaps this is just my prejudice from the old days that it is better to avoid a physically distributed workspace. More bugs in tools show up then Smile

5. Build.properties in the generated Xtext project, apparently needlessly lists plugin.xml.

You get a, probably harmless, warning about a missing plugin.xml file. This seems fixed in the current development version, but I do get the warning with 2.10. I just remove plugin.xml from build.properties to reduce annoyance. Not sure if this has side effects.

6. In the wizard select that Web (and Idea if relevant) should be generated, with Gradle as the build system and a plain file layout.

7. At this point a good old Xtext process (MWE2 workflows) work as they used to for generating the Eclipse plugin. Excellent!

8. Make gradle build work.

This is where I get stuck. Unfortunately, no gradle project can be built. They all fail on generateXtextLanguage, so the thing that works perfectly well with the MWE2 workflow. The error message is that the genmodel file is unmapped. Apparently the gradle setup generator is not including the model project in the build.

There is an indication here that this is expected, and as such it is not likely to be fixed. The user is supposed to include the existing metamodel into your Gradle build and set up the generator workflow accordingly. This cannot be done automatically by the wizard. (quoting from the issue discussion).

It used to be possible to demo and experience Xtext functionality without major plumbing. The new build management setup makes this impossible, which is highly discouraging for new users. For a new user, importing an existing metamodel, generating a default grammar, and being able to experience all key aspects of Xtext is a boon. It helps adoption too ...

But perhaps this indeed cannot be done to easily (I have no idea of the limitations in the information that the gradle generator has). I try to fix this manually. Unfortunately, no tutorial explains how to "include the existing metamodel in the Gradle build", nothing short of becoming a gradle expert, understanding the architecture of the gradle build in the Xtext generated project and extending it manually. This is a pretty high barrier of entry Sad

I have found a blog entry that seems to answer this problem but in a more complicated setup - with Xcore not with Ecore.

I would like to move forward with this battle without learning about Xcore Smile Could some Gradle pro help me with a few lines on which build files should modified/added and how, in order to include an EMF model project into the gradle build generated by Xtext?

We just need a way to include and compile the classes generated by EMF, or even pick up classes compiled by Eclipse. I think a full integration with gradle, controlling generation and compilation of the model project is likely going to be already too complex Smile

Help?
Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1744875 is a reply to message #1744848] Sat, 01 October 2016 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Can you share a hello world project showing the Code (eG on github)
I did not find the information where you turn the emf project to a Grade project and configure it to include the generated Java classes and plugin.xml and ecore and genmodel file and put that to the classpath of the Xtext project.

If you feel better with maven or manual work you can add this dependency as maven dependency if you get the emf project built with maven as well.

You did not show how the emf project and the Gradle parent ly relatively to each other.

As said initially . Having the projects with no need to mock up them manually would make answering this more easy

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1744880 is a reply to message #1744875] Sat, 01 October 2016 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe you can use https://github.com/cdietrich/xtext-existing-metamodel-gradle-example as a starting point

Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1744888 is a reply to message #1744875] Sat, 01 October 2016 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thank you Christian. I reproduced my setup here:
https://bitbucket.org/andrzej_wasowski/xtextgradlequestion

This is just a vanilla EMF project with default result of running the wizard from existing EMF project. As far as can see, there is no way to avoid Gradle. Apparently the web editor can only be built with Gradle (at least using the wizard).

Any gradle target seems to fail on ":org.xtext.example.mydsl:generateXtextLanguage". For instance go to the parent project and call "gradle assemble" (or the same in eclipse).

The Idea project seems to always be generated with an error. I have not investigated this further, as my current focus is the web based editor. But a compilation error in a default generated project is not great either Sad

I will have a look at the project you posted.
Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751544 is a reply to message #1744888] Wed, 11 January 2017 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Puneet Patwari is currently offline Puneet PatwariFriend
Hi All

I am trying to migrate my existing xtext project on version 2.9 to 2.10 and I am facing issues. Andrzej has mentioned this point: Quote:

1. The Ecore model should have one top-level package, no sub-packages

But I have an ecore model with EPackages within a higher level EPackage. Whenever I try to "Generate Xtext Artifacts" I get an error saying "Could not resolve reference to EPackage". I am sure the URI of the subpackage is absolutely right as it is working in Xtext 2.9. Please help me as soon as possible. I am stuck at this point and could not migrate to web because of this concern.

Puneet
Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751550 is a reply to message #1751544] Wed, 11 January 2017 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i doubt that this will be possbile in all cases.
how to do import the ecore inside the dsl?

which existing ecore are you using?

Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751555 is a reply to message #1751550] Wed, 11 January 2017 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Christian

I am importing ecore inside DSL using HTTP URIs. I am using an ecore created by me which has subpackages. To avoid the problem I have moved the Subpackage into a new package and the grammar generates xtext artifacts smoothly. But why is there restriction in using subpackages? Is it a bug?

Puneet
Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751557 is a reply to message #1751555] Wed, 11 January 2017 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes and no
It's a bug that is not fixed by will

Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751596 is a reply to message #1751555] Wed, 11 January 2017 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yes, I believe this is a bug that developers are not willing to fix. I moved all my ecore models to a single toplevel package (for each). Then I check the base package property in genmodel to generate code to nested package structure. I have not tried this with gradle builds, but other xtext stuff works well for me this way.
Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751606 is a reply to message #1751596] Wed, 11 January 2017 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
see e.g. https://github.com/eclipse/xtext-core/issues/35

Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751628 is a reply to message #1751606] Thu, 12 January 2017 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

Yes I did the same. Created separate packages for my different ecores and the "generate Xtext artifacts" run smoothly. Now I am facing a different problem. When I run "jettyRun" gradle, the task "generateXtextLanguage" fails by giving an error The path /com.mncml/model/mnc.genmodel is unmapped. Wasted a lot of time fixing this issue but in vain. Please help.

Puneet
Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751632 is a reply to message #1751628] Thu, 12 January 2017 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you please Cesare a minimal sample Project and Share it

Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751633 is a reply to message #1751632] Thu, 12 January 2017 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Christian

I have attached the complete project. Can you please help me with the problem? Thanks for your time and effort.

Puneet

[Updated on: Thu, 12 January 2017 12:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751635 is a reply to message #1751633] Thu, 12 January 2017 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Christian

I am getting the following error on console.
:com.mncml.dsl:generateXtextLanguage
0    [main] INFO  text.xtext.generator.XtextGenerator  - Initializing Xtext generator
44   [main] INFO  lipse.emf.mwe.utils.StandaloneSetup  - Adding generated EPackage 'org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.TypesPackage'
173  [main] WARN  lipse.emf.mwe.utils.StandaloneSetup  - Skipping conflicting project antlr at 'archive:file:/home/user/.gradle/caches/modules-2/files-2.1/org.antlr/antlr-runtime/3.2/31c746001016c6226bd7356c9f87a6a084ce3715/antlr-runtime-3.2.jar!/' and using 'archive:file:/home/user/.gradle/caches/modules-2/files-2.1/org.xtext/antlr-generator/3.2.1/d3fa97d931949af341889c94f6455822674e52f2/antlr-generator-3.2.1.jar!/' instead.
174  [main] WARN  lipse.emf.mwe.utils.StandaloneSetup  - Skipping conflicting project antlr at 'archive:file:/home/user/.gradle/caches/modules-2/files-2.1/org.xtext/antlr-generator/3.2.1/d3fa97d931949af341889c94f6455822674e52f2/antlr-generator-3.2.1.jar!/' and using 'archive:file:/home/user/.gradle/caches/modules-2/files-2.1/antlr/antlr/2.7.7/83cd2cd674a217ade95a4bb83a8a14f351f48bd0/antlr-2.7.7.jar!/' instead.
181  [main] INFO  lipse.emf.mwe.utils.StandaloneSetup  - Registering project com.mncml.dsl at 'file:/home/user/workspace-neon/reconfiguration/com.mncml.dsl.parent/com.mncml.dsl/'
183  [main] INFO  lipse.emf.mwe.utils.StandaloneSetup  - Registering project com.mncml.dsl.ide at 'file:/home/user/workspace-neon/reconfiguration/com.mncml.dsl.parent/com.mncml.dsl.ide/'
184  [main] INFO  lipse.emf.mwe.utils.StandaloneSetup  - Registering project com.mncml.dsl.ui at 'file:/home/user/workspace-neon/reconfiguration/com.mncml.dsl.parent/com.mncml.dsl.ui/'
185  [main] INFO  lipse.emf.mwe.utils.StandaloneSetup  - Registering project com.mncml.dsl.web at 'file:/home/user/workspace-neon/reconfiguration/com.mncml.dsl.parent/com.mncml.dsl.web/'
205  [main] INFO  lipse.emf.mwe.utils.StandaloneSetup  - Using resourceSet registry. The registered Packages will not be registered in the global EPackage.Registry.INSTANCE!
856  [main] ERROR mf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Launcher  - Problems running workflow com.mncml.dsl.GenerateMnc: java.io.IOException: The path '/com.mncml/model/mnc.genmodel' is unmapped
java.lang.RuntimeException: Problems running workflow com.mncml.dsl.GenerateMnc: java.io.IOException: The path '/com.mncml/model/mnc.genmodel' is unmapped
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Runner.run(Mwe2Runner.java:104)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Runner.run(Mwe2Runner.java:62)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Runner.run(Mwe2Runner.java:52)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Launcher.run(Mwe2Launcher.java:78)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Launcher.main(Mwe2Launcher.java:36)
Caused by: org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl$1DiagnosticWrappedException: java.io.IOException: The path '/com.mncml/model/mnc.genmodel' is unmapped
	at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.handleDemandLoadException(ResourceSetImpl.java:319)
	at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.demandLoadHelper(ResourceSetImpl.java:278)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.resource.XtextResourceSet.getResource(XtextResourceSet.java:265)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.generator.XtextGeneratorResourceSetInitializer.loadResource(XtextGeneratorResourceSetInitializer.java:60)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.generator.XtextGeneratorResourceSetInitializer.access$0(XtextGeneratorResourceSetInitializer.java:57)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.generator.XtextGeneratorResourceSetInitializer$1.apply(XtextGeneratorResourceSetInitializer.java:49)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.generator.XtextGeneratorResourceSetInitializer$1.apply(XtextGeneratorResourceSetInitializer.java:1)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.lib.IteratorExtensions.forEach(IteratorExtensions.java:363)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.lib.IterableExtensions.forEach(IterableExtensions.java:333)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.generator.XtextGeneratorResourceSetInitializer.initialize(XtextGeneratorResourceSetInitializer.java:52)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.generator.XtextGeneratorLanguage.initialize(XtextGeneratorLanguage.java:198)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.generator.StandardLanguage.initialize(StandardLanguage.java:169)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.generator.XtextGenerator.initialize(XtextGenerator.java:176)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.generator.XtextGenerator.checkConfigurationInternal(XtextGenerator.java:120)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe.core.lib.AbstractWorkflowComponent2.checkConfiguration(AbstractWorkflowComponent2.java:21)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe.core.lib.Mwe2Bridge.preInvoke(Mwe2Bridge.java:65)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe.core.lib.AbstractWorkflowComponent.preInvoke(AbstractWorkflowComponent.java:197)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.runtime.workflow.AbstractCompositeWorkflowComponent.preInvoke(AbstractCompositeWorkflowComponent.java:29)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.runtime.workflow.Workflow.run(Workflow.java:18)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Runner.run(Mwe2Runner.java:102)
	... 4 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: The path '/com.mncml/model/mnc.genmodel' is unmapped
	at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.PlatformResourceURIHandlerImpl.createInputStream(PlatformResourceURIHandlerImpl.java:535)
	at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ExtensibleURIConverterImpl.createInputStream(ExtensibleURIConverterImpl.java:360)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.resource.XtextResourceSet$1.createInputStream(XtextResourceSet.java:298)
	at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceImpl.load(ResourceImpl.java:1269)
	at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.demandLoad(ResourceSetImpl.java:259)
	at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.demandLoadHelper(ResourceSetImpl.java:274)
	... 22 more
:com.mncml.dsl:generateXtextLanguage FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':com.mncml.dsl:generateXtextLanguage'.
> Process 'command '/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin/java'' finished with non-zero exit value 1
Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751636 is a reply to message #1751635] Thu, 12 January 2017 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, i want to have code to clone and run. it takes to much time to build and example and "guess" what you are doing inside your metamodel project

Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751640 is a reply to message #1751636] Thu, 12 January 2017 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Christian

I am doing nothing inside the metamodel project. It just stores the ecore, genmodel and java-generated files. The zip I gave you can be imported in eclipse and executed. I tried it. My only problem comes when i run the gradle task "jettyRun" from the "com.mncml.dsl.parent" folder.
Quote:
no, i want to have code to clone and run

What code are you pointing at here?

Puneet
Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751643 is a reply to message #1751640] Thu, 12 January 2017 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes but where do you build the metamodel with gradle? i can find nothing

Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751644 is a reply to message #1751640] Thu, 12 January 2017 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Akos Kitta is currently offline Akos KittaFriend
I have downloaded the archive you shared too and imported the parent project via the Gradle import wizard. Although the com.mncml project is declared as a sub-project in the parent's Gradle settings, that is not a Gradle project. At least I cannot see the build.gradle file there. Could that be a problem in the first place?
Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751648 is a reply to message #1751644] Thu, 12 January 2017 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes

i created this on plain greens

(1) create new xtext project with gradle in eclipse
(2) create new empty emf project in eclipse, create metamodel and genmodel, generate code, add xtext nature
(3) move the emf project into the parent of the xtext project
(4) adapt settings.gradle in the parent
include 'org.xtext.example.mydsl.metamodel'
include 'org.xtext.example.mydsl'
include 'org.xtext.example.mydsl.ide'
include 'org.xtext.example.mydsl.web'
include 'org.xtext.example.mydsl.tests'

(5) create build.gradle for metamodel project
dependencies {
	compile "org.eclipse.xtext:org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.lib:${xtextVersion}"
	compile "org.eclipse.xtext:org.eclipse.xtext:${xtextVersion}" // or emd deps direct, i was lazy
}

jar {
	from ('.') {
		include 'model/demo.ecore'
		include 'model/demo.genmodel'
		include 'plugin.xml'
	}
}

(6) add dependency from dsl to metamodel, adapt grammar, adapt workflow
dependencies {
	compile project(':org.xtext.example.mydsl.metamodel')

(7) adapt MydslStandalonesetup
	override register(Injector injector) {
		if (!EPackage.Registry.INSTANCE.containsKey(DemoPackage.eNS_URI)) {
			EPackage.Registry.INSTANCE.put(DemoPackage.eNS_URI, DemoPackage.eINSTANCE);
		}
		super.register(injector)
	}

(Cool workaround for xtext 2.10 web bug

class MyDslWebModule extends AbstractMyDslWebModule {

def void configureIPreferenceValuesProvider(Binder binder) {
		binder.bind(IPreferenceValuesProvider).annotatedWith(FormatterPreferences).to(FormatterPreferenceValuesProvider)
	}

}

Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751662 is a reply to message #1751648] Thu, 12 January 2017 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Christian

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I have done as you have asked and I am stuck at this position. While running the build.gradle of the metamodel project I get the following error.

Failed to notify task execution listener.
> Could not infer Xtext classpath, because xtext.version was not set and no xtext libraries were found on the configuration ':com.mncml:compile' classpath
> Could not infer Xtend compiler classpath, because xtext.version was not set and no Xtend libraries were found on the configuration ':com.mncml:compile' classpath

What are the plugins that I have to put on the classpath to get away from these errors?

Thanks
Puneet
Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751663 is a reply to message #1751662] Thu, 12 January 2017 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is what i meant with

dependencies {
compile "org.eclipse.xtext:org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.lib:${xtextVersion}"
compile "org.eclipse.xtext:org.eclipse.xtext:${xtextVersion}" // or emd deps direct, i was lazy
}

Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751667 is a reply to message #1751663] Thu, 12 January 2017 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Christian

I have put these plugins on my classpath and as dependencies in my manifest file. Still I am getting the same error. I am new with GRADLE. Am i doing something wrong? I have followed your steps as it is Sad

Puneet
Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751674 is a reply to message #1751667] Thu, 12 January 2017 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
please share your current code. i am new with gradle as well. i cannot "guess" what you are doing.
please share the parent project only

Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751681 is a reply to message #1751674] Thu, 12 January 2017 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Christian

I am attaching the parent project as well. Please have a look. I have put the dependencies in my metamodel project as well but it doesnt work. The build.gradle in my metamodel project looks exactly the way u have specified.

Thanks in advance.
  • Attachment: MnCML.zip
    (Size: 2.71MB, Downloaded 252 times)
Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751688 is a reply to message #1751681] Thu, 12 January 2017 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the zip misses your metamodel,
i said: copy it to the parent

Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751707 is a reply to message #1751688] Thu, 12 January 2017 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the structure should be
parent
- mymetamodel
- mydsl
- mydsl.ide
- mydsl.web

Re: Building the web-based editor in a project with existing Ecore model [message #1751714 is a reply to message #1751707] Thu, 12 January 2017 19:43 Go to previous message
Hi ChristiAN

I moved the metamodel project into parent project and copied the generated code into mydsl project. Everything works like charm now. Thanks a lot for your precious help. I will keep on bugging with other queries.

Regards
Puneet
Previous Topic:Reference across multiple files not working
Next Topic:XText hook for model transformation?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 10:28:30 GMT 2024