Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3(Upgrade to virgo with a modular web app that use snaps in previous version)
Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3 [message #1744538] Tue, 27 September 2016 23:17 Go to next message
Junior Sousa is currently offline Junior SousaFriend
I would like to know how can I replace the snaps that are not support by version 3.7.0M3.

Currently I have a modular web application that uses Snaps in their architecture, but during the upgrade of virgo I notice that snaps are not supported anymore.

Dependencies such as org.eclipse.virgo.snaps.api-3.6.4.RELEASE.jar and org.eclipse.virgo.snaps.core-3.6.4.RELEASE.jar are not available, how can I deal with filters like org.eclipse.virgo.snaps.core.SnapHostFilter and references into template.mf like org.eclipse.virgo.snaps.core
Re: Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3 [message #1745098 is a reply to message #1744538] Wed, 05 October 2016 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daniel marthaler is currently offline daniel marthalerFriend
Hi Junior

The project team of Virgo decided not to continue the development of Virgo Snaps due to few remaining developers on the project.
If you would like to contribute in order to get Snaps working with 3.7.0 we would be very happy.

Regards,
Dani
Re: Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3 [message #1746161 is a reply to message #1745098] Mon, 24 October 2016 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Zugal is currently offline Stefan ZugalFriend
Hi Dani,

we are also using snaps in our application and are quite happy with them, so we would like to make sure they are supported in future versions. Would it possible to get in contact with you to discuss how we can contribute?

Private messaging seems to be turned off, but you can reach me via stefan.zugal [at] ches.at.

Cheers,
Stefan
Re: Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3 [message #1746197 is a reply to message #1746161] Mon, 24 October 2016 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Stefan

Thats great Very Happy

Of course you can get in touch with me. And, if your coincidentally attending EclipseCon Europe 2016 we could meet us during the conference. Otherwise I will contact you after the conference is over.

Just to keep things open and transparent in this forum I like to mention one possible way how anybody can contribute to the project:

1. Open a Bug report / Or find one that already exists and you would like to contribute to
2. Checkout the Virgo source code from the Git repository of Virgo
3. Fix things as described in the Bug report
4. Attach the Git patch you have made to the Bug report and a comment it so that the committers are able to review and apply the patch

If you need help during this process or if you have any questions, write to the virgo-dev mailing list or post your question in this forum. Committers are happy to help you helping us Smile

Regards,
Dani
Re: Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3 [message #1746277 is a reply to message #1746197] Wed, 26 October 2016 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Zugal is currently offline Stefan ZugalFriend
Hi Dani,

thank you very much for the instructions - see you at the mailing list then Smile

Cheers,
Stefan
Re: Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3 [message #1746310 is a reply to message #1746277] Wed, 26 October 2016 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Dani, I will try follow your instructions to open a bug. By now, I tried to use de version generated at 3.7.0.M01 into virgo 3.7.0.M03 and I have no issues up to now. I believe we have only to sync the code with current version.
Re: Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3 [message #1746311 is a reply to message #1746310] Wed, 26 October 2016 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for sharing this information.
I just opened [1] in order to prepare Virgo Snaps to be continued by Stefan or you.

Regards,
Dani

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=506579
Re: Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3 [message #1746312 is a reply to message #1746311] Wed, 26 October 2016 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pls also read my reply [1] on virgo-dev.

[1] https://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/virgo-dev/msg01691.html
Re: Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3 [message #1746678 is a reply to message #1746312] Wed, 02 November 2016 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel,

I am new in eclipse community, how can I get started to contributed with this and others changes for virgo?

I have already assigned virgo-dev mail list and set up my machine according with the instructions in https://wiki.eclipse.org/Virgo/Committers.

What should be the next steps?
Re: Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3 [message #1746685 is a reply to message #1746678] Thu, 03 November 2016 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Junior

You first need to sign the Eclipse Contributor Agreement (ECA) [1], so we can accept contributions from your side.

You should get yourself familiar with Gradle, as Virgo has moved away from Ant/Ivy to Gradle.

All projects source code is located under [2]. For example you can checkout the Virgo server root project [3] using 'git clone git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/virgo/org.eclipse.virgo.root.git --recursive'. Read the Markdown files contained in the root folder to get started.

The information contained under https://wiki.eclipse.org/Virgo/Committers are outdated, we will need to invest some time to actually reflect the current way of working. I usually download the latest distribution of STS [4] and additionally install Gradles Buildship plugin and the Virgo Tools. After that I use Import -> Gradle Project and point to the checked out root folder of Virgo.

Please let me know on which part you're interested in to contribute to, I will try to help you getting started.

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/legal/ecafaq.php
[2] http://git.eclipse.org/c/virgo/
[3] git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/virgo/org.eclipse.virgo.root.git
[4] https://spring.io/tools/sts
Re: Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3 [message #1748525 is a reply to message #1746685] Thu, 24 November 2016 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Daniel,

I followed your instructions. I cloned the repository and a load code into my eclipse using gradle, but now what should be the next steps? How I build the projects? I tried run some ant scripts but for all of them I got error like this:

/Users/juniorsousa/git/virgo/org.eclipse.virgo.root/packaging/build-packaging/tomcat-server/build-tomcat-server.xml:8: Cannot find /Users/juniorsousa/git/virgo/org.eclipse.virgo.root/packaging/build-packaging/virgo-build/multi-bundle/default.xml imported from /Users/juniorsousa/git/virgo/org.eclipse.virgo.root/packaging/build-packaging/tomcat-server/build-tomcat-server.xml
Re: Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3 [message #1748529 is a reply to message #1748525] Thu, 24 November 2016 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I checkout the code to branch origin/gradle-build and build project over packaging project and the whole project was build with success. Now, I would like to understand the project bases and their dependencies, such as spring. How you store and build the spring into http://build.eclipse.org/rt/virgo/ivy/bundles/release/org.eclipse.virgo.mirrored/ repository and how the manifest.mf of these dependencies is built?

[Updated on: Thu, 24 November 2016 02:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3 [message #1748678 is a reply to message #1748525] Sat, 26 November 2016 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junior Sousa wrote on Thu, 24 November 2016 01:53
Hi Daniel,
I tried run some ant scripts but for all of them I got error like this:

The ant scripts can't be used anymore, you need to use Gradle. Please see the BUILD.md file in the root of the "org.eclipse.virgo.root" repository how to build Virgo.

Regards,
Dani

Re: Alternative of using of snaps with Virgo 3.7.0.M3 [message #1748679 is a reply to message #1748529] Sat, 26 November 2016 15:58 Go to previous message
Junior Sousa wrote on Thu, 24 November 2016 03:32
I checkout the code to branch origin/gradle-build and build project over packaging project and the whole project was build with success.

What do you mean, "over packaging project", you should run the scripts from root of the repo. Pls see my previous reply on how-to build Virgo.

Junior Sousa wrote on Thu, 24 November 2016 03:32

Now, I would like to understand the project bases and their dependencies, such as spring. How you store and build the spring into http://build.eclipse.org/rt/virgo/ivy/bundles/release/org.eclipse.virgo.mirrored/ repository and how the manifest.mf of these dependencies is built?

Well, the 3rd party dependencies hosted in "build.eclipse.org/.../mirrored" are built and pushed there manually from us.
For detailed understanding of the project you will need to have a look at the project itself, it is simply not possible for me to explain all the details here. So please com back with specific questions if you have any.

Regards,
Dani
Previous Topic:error when installing Snaps 3.0.2 on VTS 3.0.2
Next Topic:Virgo 3.7.0.M03 - Repository/ext spring-webmvc requires jstl 1.2.1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:08:39 GMT 2024