Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Registering Metamodels in Java project(Using Ecore artefacts in Eclipse UI)
Registering Metamodels in Java project [message #1744529] Tue, 27 September 2016 20:37 Go to next message
Edouard R. Batot is currently offline Edouard R. BatotFriend
Hi,

I'm working on a Java project (pure Java) that manipulates programmatically Ecore metamodels and their xmi models. Registering packages etc. is done programmatically during the execution and it works good.

Nonetheless, I want to manipulate artefacts by hand in the Eclipse editor. I used to do it by mean of the "Register metamodel" button, which came from a X plugin I had on my previous configuration.
As Neon is killing me with poping errors since I installed it (using the Oomph installer) I got back to a classic Java IDE zip version.
Of course, the "register metamodel" button has disappeared. I installed the Ecore Diagram Editor with no results.
Now, I would like to avoid installing the whole modelling package since it seems heavy to my simple needs.

Is there any way to get that registering option back ?

Thanks.
Edouard

PS : registering a metamodel is the only solution I know to avoid the "PackageNotFoundException" that refrain Ecore Diagram Editor to open an XMI file.
Re: Registering Metamodels in Java project [message #1744591 is a reply to message #1744529] Wed, 28 September 2016 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Comments below.

Edoaurd Batot wrote on Tue, 27 September 2016 16:37
Hi,

I'm working on a Java project (pure Java) that manipulates programmatically Ecore metamodels and their xmi models. Registering packages etc. is done programmatically during the execution and it works good.

Nonetheless, I want to manipulate artefacts by hand in the Eclipse editor. I used to do it by mean of the "Register metamodel" button, which came from a X plugin I had on my previous configuration.
It doesn't come from EMF itself so knowing what X plug-in is would be good.Quote:

As Neon is killing me with poping errors since I installed it (using the Oomph installer) I got back to a classic Java IDE zip version.
So you assume it's because you used the installer rather than these just being problem cause by what is installed? What kind of popups?Quote:

Of course, the "register metamodel" button has disappeared. I installed the Ecore Diagram Editor with no results.
Now, I would like to avoid installing the whole modelling package since it seems heavy to my simple needs.
The plug-in spy is very useful.Quote:

Is there any way to get that registering option back ?
I'm not sure where it came from or what it does. Maybe install/unzip the modeling package. It's probably better to ask about EMF on the EMF forum.Quote:

Thanks.
Edouard

PS : registering a metamodel is the only solution I know to avoid the "PackageNotFoundException" that refrain Ecore Diagram Editor to open an XMI file.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Registering Metamodels in Java project [message #1744597 is a reply to message #1744591] Wed, 28 September 2016 18:01 Go to previous message
Edouard R. Batot is currently offline Edouard R. BatotFriend
Quote:
It doesn't come from EMF itself so knowing what X plug-in is would be good.

I mean that, as an outsider user, I've put X plugins. FIrst to work with some modelling views, then to monitor execution, to enhance debugging... And finally the ATL workbench. I suppose this is when I started to manipulated Ecore artefacts but there are plugin I forget to mentioned because I installed them to "try". Is the last plugin offering the "register metamodel" option, there's no way to verify. No way I know of (until your spy advice Smile ). So, let's call it the X plugin allowing me, in one of its numerous features, to register a metamodel in Ecore by a right click on its name in the Project explorer.

Quote:
So you assume it's because you used the installer rather than these just being problem cause by what is installed? What kind of popups?

I'm sure it comes from the installer, since without it I have no trouble. But, honestly Ed, the only hint I have on that topic is that the installer don't (and maybe it can not) take in charge previous versions installed with previous working sets and other previous settings.
Popup suggesting configuration for SVN (when this plugin is not on yet) is the source of that clue. Later, I install SVN, but the problem remains, and popups signaling a SVN problem keep poping : SVN is unstable after an installation with ther installer, it is stable when I use the good old zip files.

Quote:
The plug-in spy is very useful.

Thanks thanks thanks ! I just started, as you mentionned, a brand new configuration (Neon-Modelling, and that is the first plugin I'll load).
The problem seems of such a low level that I hesitate between Newcomers and EMF forums..

For now, I will investigate with the new version, the modelling one, with ATL, and spy on the impact of the GUI in the plugin/features dependencies.

It is to mention that I never get Eclipse so unstable. Might be because of Neon, or because of my mis-use, but the dependence is definitively growing on a tool that lose in maneuverability.
Their will be a talk on that topic at MoDELS2016. Smile

Thanks Ed for your attention and advices,
Edouard

|Edit| ATL plugin reminicences behave the same as SVN. Perspective is "available", you can choose it, but it is not working (obviously, since it is not installed).

[Updated on: Wed, 28 September 2016 18:18]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Error or opening eclipse [arch linux]
Next Topic:Inspect doesn't work for lesson 9 of Java tutorial
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:42:17 GMT 2024