Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » AppCompatActivity and Eclipse(How to use AppCompatActivity with Eclipse )
AppCompatActivity and Eclipse [message #1743094] Mon, 12 September 2016 08:33 Go to next message
Alekos Psimikakis is currently offline Alekos PsimikakisFriend
I have a problem using AppCompatActivity with Eclipse Neon. More specifically:

1) I have imported 'android.support.v7.app.AppCompatActivity' and 'android.support.v7.app.ActionBar' and set my main activity as 'public class Main extends AppCompatActivity'.
2) I have added 'android-support-v7.appcompat.jar' and 'android-support-v4.jar' in the libraries ('v4' seems not to be included in 'v7' because if I don't add it too, Eclipse does not accept AppCompatActivity)
3) I get stuck already in setting res/values/styles.xml: <style name="AppTheme" parent="Theme.AppCompat">
I get "Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name 'Theme.AppCompat'."
Now, if I leave the default <style name="AppTheme" parent="AppBaseTheme"> the app crashes. (Note that the main activity is empty - nothing else can make the app crash)
4) I am using API level 17 as target. (It is supposed that AppCompatActivity works from APL level 15+)
Re: AppCompatActivity and Eclipse [message #1743133 is a reply to message #1743094] Mon, 12 September 2016 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Did you read the Announcement message at the top of this forum group, the one with Android in its title?
Re: AppCompatActivity and Eclipse [message #1743417 is a reply to message #1743133] Thu, 15 September 2016 09:24 Go to previous message
Alekos Psimikakis is currently offline Alekos PsimikakisFriend
You are right, but before posting the question here, I checked thoroughly stackoverflow.com -- the basic source for help -- and even I posted the particular question in it. All the replies suggest to me to use Android Studio. So, I assume that this is the only place where I can look for answers regarding the issue in question as it relates to Eclipse. I also assume that since Android is still quite popular these days, there ought to be quite a few Eclipse users that might have encountered this issue. So, I will have to wait for a reply ...
Previous Topic:Problem with Eclipse Debugger?
Next Topic:[Eclipse] Installation failed with an Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:27:18 GMT 2024