|Re: Running RAP on WebSphere 8.5 for z/OS [message #1743069 is a reply to message #1743036]
||Sat, 10 September 2016 08:13
| Markus Knauer
Registered: July 2009
I learned something new... I didn't know about the wiki page that you mentioned!
I'm sure you already ckecked the usual suspects, e.g. that the JVM version of the bundles matches the one in Websphere.
From my own experience I know that it is sometimes very hard to debug and to track down those Websphere related problems, most of the time these servers are running in very restrictive networks hidden from the developers and without direct access.
We are successfully running many RAP (1.x), 2.x, and 3.x applications on Websphere versions up to 8.5.5, as far as I know on AIX, maybe Linux, but never on z/OS. In all those cases we are bundling the app as war file including the servletbridge.
Can you start your app locally in the same IBM J9 VM that is being used on the host?
Did you try to enable logging in Equinox / OSGi, do you have access to stdout/stderr logs on the server?
Would it be possible to deploy the app with the OSGi console enabled and accessible on a port like `-console 1234`?
Another possibility is to embed the Felix WebConsole and use a browser to check bundle wirings and OSGi services - that's what I am doing a lot when I don't have other ways to accesss the server.
Apart from looking at the server side it may be useful to know more about the client side. Did you check the communication with the server, cookies, authentication, maybe content types used in the server responses, etc.? Sometimes it helps to look deeply into the communication with one of the browsers developer tools.
Just a few ideas... I hope some of them can help, or maybe someone else can contribute more ideas.
Twitter: @mknauer23 and @EclipseRAP
Professional services for RAP and RCP?
|Re: Running RAP on WebSphere 8.5 for z/OS [message #1743121 is a reply to message #1743069]
||Mon, 12 September 2016 11:52
|| Vincenzo Caselli
Registered: January 2012
Your answer is reassuring when you say that you have succesfully RAP 3.x running on Websphere 8.5.5 (ok, not on z/OS) with the servletbridge included and that wiki page is new to you!
Ok, now let me answer your checkpoints in order, since I would like you to check and validate our steps.
- we have developed the RAP 3.0.2 application with Java7 Oracle
- generated (the IDE is running with the same Java7) the WAR with
WAR Products (Incubation) 0.3.1.201405141436
- WebSphere 8.5 on z/OS is running with IBM Java7
- I installed a local Websphere 8.5.5 on Windows
- installed the webapp with the WAS wizard with the following options
* fast path (not the detailed)
* changed Application Name from "appname_war" to "appname"
* changed Context Root from "/" to "/appname"
* any other option kept as the proposed default value
are there any other options that deserves attention?
In these conditions, locally under Windows, the application is running successfully!
As far as I can see my WAS instance is running on a JVM
which in its readme.txt states "IBM 64-bit SDK for Windows AMD64/EM64T architecture"
I don't know at present how to make it run on a IBM J9 VM, but I will look for that.
Accessing OSGI console
- yes, I can enable the -console option and in the next days I will try to access a console with the help of an authorized sysadmin (btw, by saying "running in very restrictive networks hidden from the developers and without direct access" you hit exactly the point )
- in any case can you give some information on how to embed the Felix WebConsole? Should we enrich our RAP Target Platform with other UpdateSite/Feature/plugins?
Client/Server communication checks
- I will keep this into account
other Servlet Containers
- as a side note we would like to know if the steps we are following for deploying a RAP war are right and if they can be applied in general to other Servlet Containers, like WebLogic, JBoss or others
Thank you very much
Powered by FUDForum
. Page generated in 0.02310 seconds