Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Linux install for all users
Linux install for all users [message #1741672] Fri, 26 August 2016 23:07 Go to next message
Dan Schafer is currently offline Dan SchaferFriend
Greetings,
I downloaded Eclipse 4.6 from eclipse.org "46275341 Aug 26 14:50 eclipse-inst-linux64.tar.gz".
My goal is to install Eclipse for all users on this CentOS 6.8 machine.

1) After unpacking with "tar -zxvf", there is no "eclipse" startup script in the top level of the resulting files.
An "eclipse_installer" directory is created.
Should I be able to run eclipse at this point ?
Is there a command-line installation method ?

2) I am able to run "./eclipse-inst" under my user account to start the oomph installer.
It prompts me by default to install into my $home directory. I install there successfully, and run eclipse successfully. The eclipse.ini file was successfully configured with my jvm...
-vm
/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_101/jre/bin

But I am trying to install eclipse into /opt so that all users can run it from a single installation.

3) If I launch the oomph installer with "sudo ./eclipse-inst", the installation is allowed into /opt. I attach the eclipse.ini file. I double-checked that the resources listed there in fact exist.
But when I run "/opt/eclipse/eclipse" as my normal user, I receive...

The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library.

I performed a search for this errmsg, and there are many results, but I did not find my scenario.

The permissions for the installation seem OK...

151 /opt => ls -ltr eclipse
total 240
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 140566 Jun 6 12:39 icon.xpm*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 80393 Jun 6 12:39 eclipse*
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 26 15:06 readme/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 26 15:06 dropins/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 26 15:06 plugins/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 712 Aug 26 15:06 eclipse.ini
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Aug 26 15:07 configuration/

Thank you in advance for any ideas, comments, or links.
  • Attachment: eclipse.ini
    (Size: 0.70KB, Downloaded 229 times)
Re: Linux install for all users [message #1741842 is a reply to message #1741672] Tue, 30 August 2016 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Dan,

By default the installer creates an installation with a shared bundle pool. There's rather long thread with details in the Oomph forum:

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1080350/

So you have several options. One option is to install without a bundle pool; the menu has the control for that. Another option is to also find a good shared location for the bundle pool (and agent); it defaults a location in the user.home. The chosen location should be read-only to all other users. I.e., the installation folder and the pool/agent folders should all be writable only when running under sudo. This is what in the end directs Eclipse to detect that it's a shared installation.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Linux install for all users [message #1772136 is a reply to message #1741672] Tue, 05 September 2017 23:43 Go to previous message
Patrick J Clemins is currently offline Patrick J CleminsFriend
After playing around with this for the last couple hours, I've discovered that the best way to do this is to forego the installer, and just download the tar.gz directly, untar it, and place it in the directory you wish for it to reside. Give it root:root permissions. To install a plugin globally, run `sudo eclipse` and install the plugin. To install one for a single user, run eclipse as the user and install it. Eclipse seems to know when it's default bundle is read-only and configures a writable one at ~/.eclipse

So far, so good... fingers crossed!

[Updated on: Tue, 05 September 2017 23:44]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Removal/Tagging of community article
Next Topic:Remote Project also stored locally
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:32:41 GMT 2024