Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » EclipseLink / MySQL / Connector/J / UTF-8 Issue
EclipseLink / MySQL / Connector/J / UTF-8 Issue [message #1741621] Fri, 26 August 2016 11:04 Go to next message
Richard Harrison is currently offline Richard HarrisonFriend
I've set up a small project using Struts 2, Tomcat, Eclipselink and MySQL, which needs to store some special characters in the database using UTF-8. I set up the database tables as "utf8_unicode_ci". The persistance.xml file looks like this:

<properties>
	<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.driver" value="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" />
	<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.url" value="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/xxxxxx?useUnicode=true&amp;characterEncod‌​ing=UTF-8" />
	<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.user" value="yyyyyyyy" />
	<property name="eclipselink.logging.level" value="FINE"/>
	<property name="eclipselink.ddl-generation" value="drop-and-create-tables"/>
	<property name="eclipselink.ddl-generation.output-mode" value="sql-script"/>
	<property name="eclipselink.create-ddl-jdbc-file-name" value="datastore-create.sql"/>
	<property name="eclipselink.drop-ddl-jdbc-file-name" value="datastore-drop.sql"/>
	<property name="eclipselink.application-location" value="/home/richardh/dddd/"/>
	<property name="eclipselink.deploy-on-startup" value="false"/>
	<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.password" value="zzzzzzz"/>
</properties>

When special characters are entered through the app, the EclipseLink logs show the special characters in the INSERT / UPDATE statements in the log file. However, they aren't in the database correctly. (They show up as "?".) When I take the same statements and manually run them against the database, everything works fine. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks in advance for any ideas anyone can provide.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 August 2016 11:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: EclipseLink / MySQL / Connector/J / UTF-8 Issue [message #1742234 is a reply to message #1741621] Thu, 01 September 2016 03:33 Go to previous message
Clovis Wichoski is currently offline Clovis WichoskiFriend
See if all things on java side are configured to use UTF-8, like sources, IDE, tomcat, maven, JVM, Operating System, etc..., you just checked JDBC connection.
Previous Topic:EclipseLink + Stream + Java 8
Next Topic:Eclipse link 2.5 + weblogic 12.1.3 memory issue with DMS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:50:40 GMT 2024