Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » support for FreeBSD and/or other BSDs(Discussion to determine what's involved in adding support for FreeBSD)
support for FreeBSD and/or other BSDs [message #1741575] Fri, 26 August 2016 01:43 Go to next message
Allan Stokes is currently offline Allan StokesFriend
Recently I was working to automate my Eclipse installation. I had some initial success with running p2.mirror as an AntRunner task, and the p2 director, but it was quite fiddly work. Then I discovered Oomph, and it struck me this might be a much preferable path forward. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to run Oomph yet, because it lacks a FreeBSD executable.

When I tried to load the Oomph extension into my existing Mars 4.5.2, I get an error on Oomph startup:

IllegalStateException: Operating system not supported: freebsd

I can't presently test with Neon, because I don't have an Eclipse Neon build for FreeBSD, either. Perhaps this will be included in FreeBSD 11, which is nearing release.

It would, of course, be preferable to simply run the Oomph installer itself, properly compiled for FreeBSD.

What would be involved in achieving such a build? Is there any interest in creating an Oomph package for FreeBSD?

I'm somewhat familiar with the FreeBSD build system and I might be willing to help shepherd this work along, mostly on the FreeBSD side of the fence, if the project is not unusually difficult to properly build.

Would anyone else like to see this happen?

[Updated on: Fri, 26 August 2016 01:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: support for FreeBSD and/or other BSDs [message #1741579 is a reply to message #1741575] Fri, 26 August 2016 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Alan,

I have no idea what would be involved to produce such a thing. Eclipse itself doesn't redistribute native fragments for that either, does it?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: support for FreeBSD and/or other BSDs [message #1741656 is a reply to message #1741579] Fri, 26 August 2016 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan Stokes is currently offline Allan StokesFriend
A useful answer to your question would involve contacting the maintainer of the FreeBSD Eclipse port, who would probably have some insight into the division of labour. My guess is that the FreeBSD ports picks up the Linux port compilation infrastructure as maintained by the Eclipse Foundation, and makes a relatively small number of changes pertaining to different system locations and support libraries (and perhaps substitutes Clang for GCC).

If Oomph requires basically the same handling as Eclipse itself, but with different Java artifacts, it's probably a fairly simple matter to fork the Eclipse port.

However, if we have to dig into the Java underbelly, I don't have the expertise in the Java ecosystem to do this work effectively, and there's no guarantee the FreeBSD port maintainer is in the mood to take on an extra project, so at that point we would need somebody on the Oomph side willing to provide a bit of hand-holding.

1. Is Oomph a somewhat or radically different beast than Eclipse itself?
2. Is there enough motivation within the Oomph community to help us through the kind of split-personality difficulties an enthusiastic, not-very-good Java person collaborating with a not-really-my-own-project person (e.g. the current FreeBSD Eclipse port maintainer) would likely encounter?

Sometimes when you gather four blind men around an elephant, it somehow all works out. Sometimes it doesn't. So I'm trying to obtain a first impression here whether this particular unladen elephant is African or European.
Re: support for FreeBSD and/or other BSDs [message #1741797 is a reply to message #1741656] Mon, 29 August 2016 16:44 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Allan Stokes wrote on Fri, 26 August 2016 11:49
A useful answer to your question would involve contacting the maintainer of the FreeBSD Eclipse port, who would probably have some insight into the division of labour. My guess is that the FreeBSD ports picks up the Linux port compilation infrastructure as maintained by the Eclipse Foundation, and makes a relatively small number of changes pertaining to different system locations and support libraries (and perhaps substitutes Clang for GCC).

That sounds relatively painful. Oomph doesn't have much in the way of platform specific fragments, and no Linux-specific fragments, so I'm not sure much of anything needs to be rebuilt...

Quote:

If Oomph requires basically the same handling as Eclipse itself, but with different Java artifacts, it's probably a fairly simple matter to fork the Eclipse port.

Generally the Java code runs everywhere the same, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Quote:

However, if we have to dig into the Java underbelly, I don't have the expertise in the Java ecosystem to do this work effectively, and there's no guarantee the FreeBSD port maintainer is in the mood to take on an extra project, so at that point we would need somebody on the Oomph side willing to provide a bit of hand-holding.

Another problem is the update sites we point to when we install something. Somehow to install something onto this platform we'd need to point at an update site for it. So it's not just as simple as producing an installer that will run...

Quote:

1. Is Oomph a somewhat or radically different beast than Eclipse itself?

No, and especially not on Linux.

Quote:

2. Is there enough motivation within the Oomph community to help us through the kind of split-personality difficulties an enthusiastic, not-very-good Java person collaborating with a not-really-my-own-project person (e.g. the current FreeBSD Eclipse port maintainer) would likely encounter?

Well, there's mostly just Eike and me, and the demand for this result is likely quite small relative to the effort involved. I.e., how many consumers are there likely to be?

Quote:

Sometimes when you gather four blind men around an elephant, it somehow all works out. Sometimes it doesn't. So I'm trying to obtain a first impression here whether this particular unladen elephant is African or European.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Use a Sonatype nexus p2 proxy to download with eclipse installer
Next Topic:I have my own product catalog hosted, how do I update a product to Neon from Mars?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:27:51 GMT 2024