Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Compare » EMFCompare and RAP UI(Could EMFCompare support an RAP user interface?)
EMFCompare and RAP UI [message #1741220] Tue, 23 August 2016 19:50 Go to next message
Neil Mackenzie is currently offline Neil MackenzieFriend
Hi,
I was wondering what would be involved to make the EMFCompare user interface support RAP (the web equivalent of RCP).
I notice some of the packages in the code are :
org.eclipse.emf.compare.rcp and
org.eclipse.emf.compare.rcp.ui

has this been looked at before?
I may be able to help if it is possible to do.
RAP can support standard widgets and treeviews. I guess one of the difficulties might be drawing the lines that link differences in models, and also making sure this works ok in a multiuser environment (perhaps avoiding singletons, and including session specific singletons if needed)
Thanks,
Neil
Re: EMFCompare and RAP UI [message #1741452 is a reply to message #1741220] Thu, 25 August 2016 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Philip Langer is currently offline Philip LangerFriend

Hi Neil,

unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone who has tried to use the EMF Compare UI with RAP. It is also hard to tell upfront if it would work. As you say, the EMF Compare UI mostly uses standard SWT and JFace. Most of it should hence just work. However, RAP has a few limitations regarding the SWT / JFace API, so I guess the best way would be to just try it out and see what fails and what could be adapted to make it work nicely. The EMF Compare UI also uses GC. While RAP has some support for GC as well, I'm not sure if it will support the part that the EMF Compare UI uses.

The purpose of the plug-ins org.eclipse.emf.compare.rcp and org.eclipse.emf.compare.rcp.ui is that they can be used without any dependencies to org.eclipse.ide. We recently also used those plug-ins in an E4 RCP application that has no PlatformUI.getWorkbench(). The rcp plug-ins of EMF Compare do have compile-time dependencies to the workbench, but we removed several of the run-time dependencies, so that the UI would still work even if the workbench is not available at run-time (cf. bug 473985). That should be a good starting point when trying a minimal EMF Compare UI setup with RAP.

It would be very interesting to hear about your experiences when you tried it out!

Thanks and best wishes,

Philip

--
Philip Langer

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Re: EMFCompare and RAP UI [message #1741460 is a reply to message #1741452] Thu, 25 August 2016 11:04 Go to previous message
Neil Mackenzie is currently offline Neil MackenzieFriend
Hi Philip,
thanks for your detailed answer. That is very useful. I may try to get something basic running , although I have a few other commitments at the moment.
Regards,
Neil
Previous Topic:Add One more panel between ContentMergeViewer and StructureMergeViewer for 3-way Compare
Next Topic:Relationship between EMF Compare and eclipse Compare
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:50:06 GMT 2024