Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Again seeing Eclipse workspace corruption on a VM
Again seeing Eclipse workspace corruption on a VM [message #1741189] Tue, 23 August 2016 15:23 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
Last year I posted a bug about frequent workspace corruptions running Eclipse in a VM on my laptop: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=482735 .

This morning I saw another workspace corruption on my VM. What's changed? Quite a lot. I'm on a different laptop, different laptop and VM OS, different SCM (SVN vs. git) and a completely different (and much smaller) set of projects in my workspace. There also is no shared drive in the mix here, so everything about this is simpler than before.

My Eclipse log file has quite a few exceptions, but I think it's pretty likely they are just a symptom of the workspace being corrupted (NullPointerExceptions, for instance).

I tried going into the Oomph preferences tolook for something to repair. There appeared to be one item that was eligible for repair, but restarting after that made no difference.

Is there anything else I can try before I create another workspace and reimport (and copy) everything again?

Just so it's clear, by "corruption", I mean that instead of listing my projects in the Package Explorer, it just shows "RemoteSystemsTempFiles". In the editor view, it sort of restored the last files I was editing. It has the file names, but the contents are empty, since it thinks it can't find those files. If I browse the workspace through the file system, the projects I had look perfectly fine. I can even build them successfully from the command line.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 August 2016 15:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Again seeing Eclipse workspace corruption on a VM [message #1741214 is a reply to message #1741189] Tue, 23 August 2016 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Quote:
What's changed? Quite a lot

...but still a VM. But at least there's no shared drive.

You mentioned previously that you were using VirtualBox. There are a number of hits about fs corruption with VirtualBox involving shutdowns of VB or the host OS. It would be good to rule some of those out, and following some of the flushing described in the VB troubleshooting section of the manual.

Do you shutdown your VM frequently? Have you experienced crashes in VB or the host OS?
What other plugins do you have loaded?

Have you tried other VM software? That would definitely help pinpoint the blame.

I am skeptical: I used Eclipse from a VM for several years (RHEL in VMware Fusion on OS X) , including mounting stuff across a shared drive, without any issues like yours. The only corrupt workspaces I've suffered from were due to using non-Eclipse refresh hooks (bug 490233).

All I can suggest is taking frequent snapshots, especially before you shut down your VM. I wonder if taking snapshots before shutting down the VM and restarting the VM would show any issues.

Brian.
Re: Again seeing Eclipse workspace corruption on a VM [message #1741414 is a reply to message #1741214] Wed, 24 August 2016 20:44 Go to previous message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I wish I could figure out how to get info about the flushing interval and configure it. I couldn't understand how to do that from the manual, and the only help I got on the #vbox IRC channel was that I shouldn't be using a XFS filesystem. They ignored my question about getting the current flush interval.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 August 2016 20:51]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Default Editor
Next Topic:Neon: Toggle View Stacks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:25:30 GMT 2024