Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Multiple User Installation(Instructions)
Multiple User Installation [message #1740897] Fri, 19 August 2016 15:40 Go to next message
Ryan Shedd is currently offline Ryan SheddFriend
Looking to install Eclipse IDE for Java Developers for multiple users. Our school district recently added a computer science class and are looking to use this software. I'm running into an issue with installing it and having different users being able to launch the application and have it work. We are using Active Directory along with Windows 7. Does anyone have a set of instructions to set this software up for multiple users? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ryan
Network Administrator
Re: Multiple User Installation [message #1740901 is a reply to message #1740897] Fri, 19 August 2016 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erich Hammer is currently offline Erich HammerFriend
Ha! I JUST posted a much longer version of nearly the same thing you just asked! Laughing

If all you need is Eclipse (and no plug-ins), try downloading the Eclipse Neon zip file and expanding it to a "safe" location. (I put it in c:\ProgramData\eclipse, but I expect \Program Files\ would be fine too.

Then add the following 3 lines to the \eclipse\configuration\config.ini file

osgi.configuration.area=@user.home/AppData/Roaming/Eclipse/configuration
osgi.sharedConfiguration.area=INSTALL_DIR/configuration
osgi.configuration.cascaded=true

(I believe you can instead/also add them to the \eclipese\eclipse.ini file. I'm not sure the difference between those files.)

That seems to have made Eclipse (alone) work for non-admin users in my setup. If you need plugins to work in a standard setup, hopefully someone will answer my thread.

Good luck!
Erich
Re: Multiple User Installation [message #1741074 is a reply to message #1740901] Mon, 22 August 2016 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan Shedd is currently offline Ryan SheddFriend
Erich,

Thanks for the help! That worked. Now i believe I'm in the same predicament that you are. I am in need of installing 2 additional addons as well and cant seem to get them working. Have you or anyone else made any progress on this front?

Ryan
Re: Multiple User Installation [message #1741083 is a reply to message #1741074] Mon, 22 August 2016 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erich Hammer is currently offline Erich HammerFriend
Ryan,

Take a look at the thread I started.

It works with plugins, but requires the majority of users to start eclipse with a switch. As you know, the masses will find ways we didn't know were possible to start a program, we can't rely on them to dutifully use a particular shortcut or script.

I really hope someone can provide an answer on how to reverse that so only the admin user(s) need the switch.

Good luck,
Erich

Re: Multiple User Installation [message #1741225 is a reply to message #1741083] Tue, 23 August 2016 23:51 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Erich Hammer wrote on Mon, 22 August 2016 20:14
Ryan,

Take a look at the thread I started.

It works with plugins, but requires the majority of users to start eclipse with a switch. As you know, the masses will find ways we didn't know were possible to start a program, we can't rely on them to dutifully use a particular shortcut or script.

I really hope someone can provide an answer on how to reverse that so only the admin user(s) need the switch.

Good luck,
Erich

The purpose of the switch (the -configuration switch) is for having a personal space and configuration. The administrators would best have a common configuration that everyone can pull from.

The administrator can place a batch file (Short Cut) on the desktop of any and all the clients that the users can use. The short cut doesn't have to have the word "bat" included in it. The administrator can also pick the icon for the short cut. The shot cut can also be a read only that only an administrator can remove or modify.

In the classroom environment, if someone decided to run other programs other than the specified assignments, it would be them that is wasting their time. Only running the assigned tool would give them the installed plugins to be able to run the projects.

...something to consider.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames
Previous Topic:JPA validation error in Eclipse Neon JPA persistence.xml
Next Topic:Eclipse (Neon) Marketplace inaccessible through proxy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:48:05 GMT 2024