Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » CVS Forum/ CVS Question(CVS)
CVS Forum/ CVS Question [message #1740406] Fri, 12 August 2016 14:58 Go to next message
Jacob Dierkens is currently offline Jacob DierkensFriend
Could someone please direct me to forums about CVS usage with Eclipse? I have a question about merging changes made to HEAD to other branches.

I think CVS may be a bit outdated. However, my company still uses it. So, I need to understand it better.

Thanks in advance!

-Jacob
Re: CVS Forum/ CVS Question [message #1740413 is a reply to message #1740406] Fri, 12 August 2016 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Jacob,

I don't there there is a specific forum; I could be wrong. You could
ask here or on the eclipse.platform forum. But it's been so long since
I used CVS that I wouldn't know any answers anymore. But maybe someone
else does. Git is kind of a challenge to learn, but it is so much
better once you learn it...

On 12.08.2016 17:11, Jacob Dierkens wrote:
> Could someone please direct me to forums about CVS usage with Eclipse?
> I have a question about merging changes made to HEAD to other branches.
> I think CVS may be a bit outdated. However, my company still uses it.
> So, I need to understand it better.
> Thanks in advance!
>
> -Jacob

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: CVS Forum/ CVS Question [message #1740416 is a reply to message #1740413] Fri, 12 August 2016 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Unless the question is specific to Eclipse's built-in CVS client, then this isn't the best place. There are more general-purpose forums, such as Stack Overflow, that cater to general programming and tool questions.
Re: CVS Forum/ CVS Question [message #1740417 is a reply to message #1740416] Fri, 12 August 2016 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Eric and Ed,

To be more specific, we use CVS and have a HEAD branch along with other branches that represent the current version of our product. When I make a change to HEAD, I often have to also commit the same change to the current production branch. I keep workspaces for HEAD and the current production branch(es). When I want to commit to the production branch, I have to open that workspace, compare the differences, then commit the file a second time. What I'd like to find out is, is there an easier way to accomplish this? Maybe less steps? Ideally without opening multiple workspaces. If it could all be done from my HEAD workspace, that would be great!

If you could point me in the right direction here, I would greatly appreciate it!
Re: CVS Forum/ CVS Question [message #1740429 is a reply to message #1740406] Fri, 12 August 2016 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

3-way-merges are described at
http://help.eclipse.org/neon/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/tasks/tasks-100b.htm . I'm not sure any system allows for what you're describing since merges can always end up with conflicts. In my time working with CVS, workspaces for each active branch (and launching Eclipse with -showlocation) made more sense than the error-prone swapping of branches for all of a single workspace's contents.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: CVS Forum/ CVS Question [message #1740556 is a reply to message #1740429] Mon, 15 August 2016 16:36 Go to previous message
Thanks Nitin!
Previous Topic:[SOLVED] Eclipse for Android Developers vs Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
Next Topic:Edit readonly files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:18:52 GMT 2024