Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » Feature-based configuration for EMF Forms
Feature-based configuration for EMF Forms [message #1740332] Thu, 11 August 2016 17:33 Go to next message
SWT Wasserhardt is currently offline SWT WasserhardtFriend
Hello,

I'm trying to set up an e4 RCP application including EMFForms, but I'm running into some dependency issues when trying to create a product configuration based on features.
I'm using the 1.9 release update-site ( http://download.eclipse.org/ecp/releases/releases_target_19/ ).

Both features org.eclipse.emf.ecp.sdk.e4.feature (ECP SDK e4 (Target Feature)) and org.eclipse.emf.ecp.emfforms.runtime.feature (EMF Forms Runtime) and all EMF Forms components depend on the "org.eclipse.emf.ecp.common.ui" plugin.

This plugin imports the "org.eclipse.emf.edit.ui.provider" package, which is provided by "org.eclipse.emf.edit.ui".
In a feature-based configuration, the minimal way to include it is to include the "org.eclipse.emf.edit.ui.feature".

Finally, this "EMF Edit UI" feature depends on "org.eclipse.ui.views" and "org.eclipse.ui.workbench".
And to include these plugins, it is necessary to include the "org.eclipse.platform.feature".

And of course I don't want the whole Eclipse Platform in my e4 RCP application.

I don't know if this is expected or if this could be considered as a bug.
And maybe I did some mistake or I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cheers,
Stephane
Re: Feature-based configuration for EMF Forms [message #1740412 is a reply to message #1740332] Fri, 12 August 2016 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SWT Wasserhardt is currently offline SWT WasserhardtFriend
I ended up creating my own feature that ships every feature needed for EMF Forms, and a minimal set of features and plugins from the eclipse platform (and EMF).

The required plugins that I had to include were :
org.eclipse.core.resources (for the "migrator" in the "viewmodel" feature)
org.eclipse.core.filesystem (for org.eclipse.core.resources)
org.eclipse.ui.views

And I also had to include the org.eclipse.rcp feature to get the org.eclipse.ui.workbench plugin and all related required dependencies (such as org.eclipse.help) needed by EMF Edit UI.

After a quick review of the EMF Edit UI code, these dependencies are mostly used for the integration in Eclipse's property pages. It would be nice to have it splitted in its own plugin but it's not a trivial change (and it's pure EMF UI, not related to EMF Forms).

I can live with these additional dependencies in my application since it doesn't cause any issue or unwanted side effects.
Re: Feature-based configuration for EMF Forms [message #1740508 is a reply to message #1740412] Mon, 15 August 2016 09:31 Go to previous message
Jonas Helming is currently offline Jonas HelmingFriend
Hi,

yes the platform dependencies come out of emf.edit.ui. However, as you
have already written, they do not do any harm.

Best regards
Jonas

On 12.08.2016 17:34, SWT Wasserhardt wrote:
> I ended up creating my own feature that ships every feature needed for
> EMF Forms, and a minimal set of features and plugins from the eclipse
> platform (and EMF).
>
> The required plugins that I had to include were :
> org.eclipse.core.resources (for the "migrator" in the "viewmodel" feature)
> org.eclipse.core.filesystem (for org.eclipse.core.resources)
> org.eclipse.ui.views
>
> And I also had to include the org.eclipse.rcp feature to get the
> org.eclipse.ui.workbench plugin and all related required dependencies
> (such as org.eclipse.help) needed by EMF Edit UI.
>
> After a quick review of the EMF Edit UI code, these dependencies are
> mostly used for the integration in Eclipse's property pages. It would be
> nice to have it splitted in its own plugin but it's not a trivial change
> (and it's pure EMF UI, not related to EMF Forms).
>
> I can live with these additional dependencies in my application since it
> doesn't cause any issue or unwanted side effects.
>
Previous Topic:Call for Submissions: Modeling Symposium @ EclipseCon Europe 2016
Next Topic:[EMFForms] ClassCastException while setting Validation Color after upgrading to EMFForms 1.9
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:26:43 GMT 2024