Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Can org.eclipse.jgit feature import org.slf4j.impl.log4j12 rather than include it
Can org.eclipse.jgit feature import org.slf4j.impl.log4j12 rather than include it [message #1739694] Thu, 04 August 2016 01:05 Go to next message
Jason Pell is currently offline Jason PellFriend
I would like to be able to install a plugin which also depends on a version of org.slf4j.impl.log4j12, but because you guys include this plugin, rather than import it, I cannot get my plugin to install at all, unless I depend on the version of the plugin you have included.

I am also playing with the idea of creating a plugin which acts as an implementation of org.slf4j, and to ensure that only a single implementation is in my eclipse installation, I am actually providing empty versions of the org.slf4j.impl.log4j12 and ch.qos.logback.slf4j with larger versions.

The empty version of the ch.qos.logback.slf4j installs just fine, but because you have included org.slf4j.impl.log4j12 into the org.eclipse.jgit feature, I cannot update org.slf4j.impl.log4j12 to be an empty version.

This is very frustrating, and really does violate one of the guiding principles of the SLF4J project which is for projects to only depend on the API, and let the user decide what SLF4J implementation to use.

Any chance this can be changed?

By way of example, the org.eclipse.recommenders.rcp.feature feature configures the dependency on ch.qos.logback.slf4j via a requires import instead of an plugin.

<requires>
--- snip ---
<import plugin="ch.qos.logback.slf4j" version="1.0.0" match="compatible"/>
--- snip ---
match="compatible"/>
</requires>

[Updated on: Thu, 04 August 2016 01:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can org.eclipse.jgit feature import org.slf4j.impl.log4j12 rather than include it [message #1740402 is a reply to message #1739694] Fri, 12 August 2016 14:28 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Looks like a bug we could fix
Previous Topic:Staging view filter closed projects
Next Topic:Simplicity V3 Compatibility
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:53:36 GMT 2024