Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EPP » [AERI] Enbale Error Reporting for Eclipse Project with non Eclipse Prefixed plugins
[AERI] Enbale Error Reporting for Eclipse Project with non Eclipse Prefixed plugins [message #1738826] Mon, 25 July 2016 09:25 Go to next message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend

I'm working on the Eclipse 4diac project. We are an incubation project and in the transition phase of migrating our code to Eclipse.org. For this we are doing a major code clean-up. It would be extremely helpful to have AERI already available during the transition phase.

I've spent quite some time on the docs and webinars but I couldn't figure out what to do and how to do it.

Is it possible to have a combined error reporting for eclipse and non eclipse prefixed plugins using the standard eclipse project error reporting infrastructure?

We have an Eclipse IDE based product.

Thanks in advance,
Alois
Re: [AERI] Enbale Error Reporting for Eclipse Project with non Eclipse Prefixed plugins [message #1738828 is a reply to message #1738826] Mon, 25 July 2016 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marcel Bruch is currently offline Marcel BruchFriend

Some questions to confirm I got your setup right. Eclipse 4diac is a stand-alone product built on top of the IDE (not just on top of the RCP)? That means you have IWorkbench, PreferencePages, EarlyStartup Hooks, and Mylyn Notifications available? If so, the integration should be straight forward: Just add org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri.feature to your product (see the Wiki page for information like update site urls etc.).

If it's a set of plug-ins installed into an existing Eclipse IDE installation, there is nothing to do on the client side.

On the server side, we need to adjust the filters. To do so, we need to
1. register your the project to the error reporting (your setup in [1] appears to be fine for the beginning)
2. add org.fordiac.* to the logging filters.
3. (if you have your own product) register your product name (prefix). What's your product-id?

Something that goes wrong often: Make sure that your product launch sets a system property called eclipse.buildId (newest HEAD versions also check for build.id). Otherwise AERI disables itself b/c it thinks it's running in a test workbench. See the wiki page for details.

Let me know if this already helps. If not, please share your current setup in Gerrit.

Thank you.

[1] https://dev.eclipse.org/recommenders/committers/aeri/v2/#!/projects/5795bd6ee4b04403a3cadf19

Re: [AERI] Enbale Error Reporting for Eclipse Project with non Eclipse Prefixed plugins [message #1738845 is a reply to message #1738828] Mon, 25 July 2016 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks that helped. Yes Eclipse 4diac is a stand-alone product on top of the IDE. Our application is org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench and we should have the stuff in question available. However we are still on the E3 compatibility layer. Our product Id is "org.fordiac.ide.product"

In general I did what you suggested. The only difference is that I took the AERI feature from the Eclipse Neon update site because I couldn't get the update sites mentioned in the wiki into my target platform file. I also tested with a system.out that the eclipse.buildId is set.

However my problem is now that instead of the notification asking for sending an error I get an Eclipse Error dialog informing my about the exception. Any tips what I may have missed. Do I need to hook the AERI listener manually in E3?

Thanks,
Alois

Re: [AERI] Enbale Error Reporting for Eclipse Project with non Eclipse Prefixed plugins [message #1738847 is a reply to message #1738845] Mon, 25 July 2016 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

There should be nothing special to do in a e3 app. Since you use Neon, I assume you are running under Java 8.

If you get a error dialog, this might not mean that the error was actually logged. Can you confirm that your error log view shows an error? Please post the content (press "copy to clipboard" and paste here) of that error report?

Please also check the contents of workspace folder/.metadata/.plugins/.o.e.e.logging.aeri.core. If it's emtpy aeri did not start. Please let me know what the contents of this folder is.

I also added org.fordiac.* to the list of accepted products. Before sending an error report to eclipse.org, AERI checks whether the server actually accepts the product (name), the logging bundle, and the stack trace contents.

I've updated the configuration according to your last post. See [1]. Maybe this was the last missing piece. But I can't say that for sure ATM.

[1] https://dev.eclipse.org/recommenders/committers/aeri/v2/#!/administration/submissions
Re: [AERI] Enbale Error Reporting for Eclipse Project with non Eclipse Prefixed plugins [message #1738856 is a reply to message #1738847] Mon, 25 July 2016 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yes we are running under Java8.

After spending more time without I think it is a dependency issue. I think just adding the org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri.feature is not enough. For example I don't have an error log view in my setup. There is also no /.metadata/.plugins/.o.e.e.logging.aeri.core folder. Is there a list of other featueres that need to be present for aeri?

thx,
Alois
Re: [AERI] Enbale Error Reporting for Eclipse Project with non Eclipse Prefixed plugins [message #1738857 is a reply to message #1738856] Mon, 25 July 2016 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

org.eclipse.epp.logging.3rd.feature lists our third-party dependencies. Note that, however, dependencies like mylyn are not listed in here. We assume them to be already present in the product.

I think you should use the product or launch configuration validate buttons to see what's missing. If nothing else works, use the osgi console to run further analysis, e.g., diag org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri.core:

WARNING: This console is connected to the current running instance of Eclipse!
osgi> diag org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri.core
org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri.core [229]
No resolution report for the bundle.
osgi> ss org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri.core
"Framework is launched."

id State Bundle
229 ACTIVE org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri.core_2.0.2.v20160630-0955
osgi>

HTH

https://git.eclipse.org/c/epp/org.eclipse.epp.logging.git/tree/features/org.eclipse.epp.logging.3rd.feature
Re: [AERI] Enbale Error Reporting for Eclipse Project with non Eclipse Prefixed plugins [message #1738873 is a reply to message #1738857] Mon, 25 July 2016 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks for all your information. After digging deeper verifying that the AERI loglistener is loaded and logging I somehow got it finally working. I think it was mainly because if my clumsiness. Nonetheless it is working and will be part of the the next release. Thanks for this great feature and infrastructure.
Re: [AERI] Enbale Error Reporting for Eclipse Project with non Eclipse Prefixed plugins [message #1738884 is a reply to message #1738873] Mon, 25 July 2016 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thank you for asking. I'll write a blog post about how to set up AERI in an IDE-based product next week. I hope this will make it easier for others to get started.
Re: [AERI] Enbale Error Reporting for Eclipse Project with non Eclipse Prefixed plugins [message #1739214 is a reply to message #1738884] Thu, 28 July 2016 12:03 Go to previous message

I just published a blog post about how to set up error reporting for your own Eclipse-IDE-based products and common issues post here:

https://blog.ctrlflow.com/setting-automated-error-reporting-eclipse-ide-based-product/

https://blog.ctrlflow.com/aer-integration-faq/

Comments and corrections welcome.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 July 2016 12:04]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:[AERI] Unable to make it working with version 2.0.x
Next Topic:news.eclipse.org is shutting down.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:05:48 GMT 2024