Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Attribute order in class diagram(class diagram, attribute order,)
Attribute order in class diagram [message #1738619] Thu, 21 July 2016 13:04 Go to next message
Tobias AnyName is currently offline Tobias AnyNameFriend
When I create a class diagramm the attributes of an object appear in the order of attribut creation. How can I change the order ? In the property pane are some buttons to change the order, but this has no influence on the attribute order presented in the graph. What are those buttons for then?
picture of the buttons: http://
  • Attachment: 002.jpg
    (Size: 91.79KB, Downloaded 132 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 22 July 2016 08:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Attribute order in class diagram [message #1740358 is a reply to message #1738619] Fri, 12 August 2016 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, is there anyone you could help?
Re: Attribute order in class diagram [message #1740773 is a reply to message #1740358] Thu, 18 August 2016 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a very lousy community forum
Re: Attribute order in class diagram [message #1740775 is a reply to message #1740773] Thu, 18 August 2016 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3834 Views and not a single reply, question or feedback do not help me nothing.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 August 2016 13:17]

Re: Attribute order in class diagram [message #1740815 is a reply to message #1740775] Thu, 18 August 2016 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
I save the reputation of the forum by giving an answer:
free software is not free beer.

OK

I am not aware of a method to reorder attributes or methods within a class shape in Papyrus.

Such a method would maybe an improvement. I would not classify it a bug, because neither the UML nor the SysML require such a method.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 August 2016 17:19]

Re: Attribute order in class diagram [message #1740822 is a reply to message #1740815] Thu, 18 August 2016 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

I agree with Carsten on this that it should be a enhancement request. Luckily, there is a mechanism to address this by using bugzilla since there was no reply here. It also has the advantage of explicit visibility to the development team. Wink

/Charles Rivet
Re: Attribute order in class diagram [message #1740823 is a reply to message #1740815] Thu, 18 August 2016 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

And right: free software is not free beer, it's "free puppy" - you still need to care for it... Wink

/Charles Rivet
Re: Attribute order in class diagram [message #1740825 is a reply to message #1740823] Thu, 18 August 2016 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Charles,

Sorry, I got angry Evil or Very Mad

Nevertheless I really like the "free puppy" term, even if I would prefer to call it "a common puppy, everyone - including myself - have to care for".

Am I allowed to cite you?

BTW, I take care of this puppy Razz. At least some little care Embarrassed .
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?email1=pitz&emailreporter1=1&emailtype1=substring&product=Papyrus&query_format=advanced

Regards
Carsten Pitz

PS I filed the issue as enhancement.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 August 2016 08:04]

Re: Attribute order in class diagram [message #1740869 is a reply to message #1740825] Fri, 19 August 2016 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, if there are buttons as shown in the screenshot and those buttons are to "move selected items up" and those iteams are attributes and after moving them up there is no change in the graphical representation, then I would call this a bug... as long no one in the community has an explanation for what the buttons are good for otherwise.

However, Papyrus is so advanced and even the classes arrange itself automatically. If there is no way to set the order of attributes in a class, I would be surprised. Therefore I did not file it as a bug, but as a question to the community with the hope that a pro-user is giving suggestions on how to order the attributes.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 August 2016 08:55]

Re: Attribute order in class diagram [message #1740873 is a reply to message #1740869] Fri, 19 August 2016 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Tobias,

I think you mix up tree representation of the model with a shape on a diagram. The buttons you mention are related to the order within tree representation of the model. These buttons change to order within the tree representation of the model and that works as intended.

The order within a shape within a diagram that illustrate an element of the model is a completely different story. Papyrus allows you to use different graphical representations of the very same element of the model in different diagrams. As an example you might omit the attribute compartment of a class shape in one diagram while presenting it in another.

It is the same story with the order of attributes within a class shape. The order may (the UML specification does not disallow it) be different on two shapes representing the very same class of the model on to different diagrams.

Regards
Carsten Pitz

PS I refined "model" by "tree representation of the model", because the model itself has no element order.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 August 2016 09:45]

Re: Attribute order in class diagram [message #1741036 is a reply to message #1740825] Mon, 22 August 2016 13:32 Go to previous message

I heard the "free puppy" comparison from Mike Milinkovic, so I'm pretty sure it's open source (Wink - although I was remiss in attributing the quote - mea culpa...

/Charles Rivet
Previous Topic:MARTE profile+ eclipse indigo
Next Topic:FMI Support
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 09:46:51 GMT 2024