Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » DSDP - Target Management » Terminal Colors (Terminal colors in RSE and TM)
Terminal Colors [message #1738570] Thu, 21 July 2016 00:28 Go to next message
Brett Holcomb is currently offline Brett HolcombFriend
I found this post (https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/197463/??SQ=73a83fc7f26dac69ceab696d06e0c1d0&S=181308e9bbf6ce55a026338242160538) relating to changing terminal colors but it says colors are done on the server side.

So I'm confused. Most remote shell terminals, PAC, Remmia, set the window colors on the client side and just connect via SSH and display whatever the server side sends in the client window in the chosen colors so I would think that TM or RSE, or whoever should provide me preference settings.

I've installed (taken from installed Software Details) Remote Systems Explorer along with TM terminal (4.0.0.201603101200) adn the TM control and extensions as well as RSE Terminals UI, Terminal Console View, TM Terminal Control, TM Terminal local, sSH, telnet, Remote API , and Terminal View remote SE add-in. I probably don't need all these as I simply want to show the remote files and ssh to it in a terminal window but I'm new to Eclipse and this is what got installed (I did not install the total package) so if I can delete any let me know ( I don't use Dstore either).

So can I tell RSE/TM that I want black background and green text for foreground?

In Preferences there is no reference to Terminal as mentioned in several posts.

As I said, I may not understand all this. All I want to do is display the file list as My Home does which lets me drag and drop between local and remote and be able to connect to my server with SSH and get a terminal window for CLI work. Do I need to use something else besides RSE or get rid of some of the pieces I have installed? And I want to set my colors <G>.

Thanks.
Re: Terminal Colors [message #1738690 is a reply to message #1738570] Fri, 22 July 2016 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Oberhuber is currently offline Martin OberhuberFriend
Hi Brett,

When you just need simple command interaction with your remote host, you may want to try the RSE's "Remote Shell" view. In the Remote Systems View, create an SSH connection to your host. Then, under the "SSH Shells" subsystem right-click > Launch Shell. You can change colors for this view in Preferences > General > Appearance > Colors and Fonts > Remote System Explorer > Remote Shell View.

The remote shell view is a bit slower than the Terminal, and it doesn't support cursor control (so you couldn't run an editor in your remote shell for example). But for you, it might be just what you need.

For cursor control, you need a remote terminal. In a Terminal, colors are controlled through ANSI escape sequences by the remote system. With a Linux remote system, you can set your colors through running echo commands on the remote. See here:
http://misc.flogisoft.com/bash/tip_colors_and_formatting

You can also "Invert Colors" in Eclipse, Preferences > Terminal > Invert Colors. For more fine-granular default color setup like in PuTTY, PAC, Remmia etc, an enhancement request is open but nobody has contributed code for this so far:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=206220

Cheers,
Martin
Re: Terminal Colors [message #1738734 is a reply to message #1738690] Fri, 22 July 2016 17:24 Go to previous message
Brett Holcomb is currently offline Brett HolcombFriend
Thank you for the informatio. Maybe the light is dawning <G>. I use Remmina and mTTY with SSH for my connections to my servers depending on the platform I'm running on. When you say remote shell does that mean that the shell is actually running on the server, unlike an SSH connection via Remmina/mTTYH which are a local client and simply establish an SSH connection and display what they get back in the chosen colors? For these applications I set the desired colors (usually black background, green foreground - from the old days!) in the client preferences. Or are these clients sending the esc sequences behind the scenes (maybe I'll wireshark it one day when I have nothing to do!)?

My Preferences does not have a Terminal entry. I have Terminal 4.0 installed as well as the RSE TM terminal view via remote.

It would be nice to be able to control the colors and select what we want.

I've just started using Eclipse having used PHPStorm before and I did try Netbeans but it didn't do remote git well so I'm new to Ecllpse. The RS stuff seems to give me what I had in the others but I'm still trying to figure it all out. I did notice that I can't drag and drop from the remote My Home to the Explorer pane but that I have to copy from the remote My Home, scroll back up to the Local My home and paste there. Is D&D planned or at least being able to right click and select download (ala PHStorm)? I find that even in a small website having to go to the remote, highlight the directories/files, copy, then scrolling back up to the local files. After some playing I found a workaround. I undock the Navigator window to the desktop, then I can drag and drop from the remote My Home and it works but throws widget deposed errors. I also tried opening the Remote Explorer perspective but you can't undock a perspective so you have Remote Explorer on one screen and the PHP project on another. With the RSE perspective I can also drag and drop files if I open local in the explorer and have the remote systems My home open in a tab.

So many ways to do things! However, it would be nice to be able to D&D from the PHP remote systems My Home to the project explorer and vice versa.

Thanks again.

Previous Topic:Suddenly: Daemon failed to launch server using port 0
Next Topic:news.eclipse.org is shutting down.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:36:49 GMT 2024