Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EPP » [AERI] Unable to make it working with version 2.0.x
[AERI] Unable to make it working with version 2.0.x [message #1738249] Mon, 18 July 2016 12:25 Go to next message
Alain Bernard is currently offline Alain BernardFriend

Hi all,

I made some weeks ago a simple demonstrator of a custom AERI plugin, using the version 1.100, in a Mars-based target platform. It worked perfectly well.
Now I try to embed it in a Neon-based target, with the latest stable release (2.0.2), to deploy it in our production environment. But nothing happens anymore. I changed nothing but the target platfom, and there is no notification anymore, nor reporting of errors. The server class is instantiated, but the "interested" method is never called.
If I try to raise errors with "org.eclipse.something" IDs, the popup doesn't appear too.

I've also checked the UI part, and the two servers (our internal one + Eclipse standard) are well enabled and configured.

Do you have a clue of what is wrong in my configuration ? If it can help, I've also a warning because of failed authentification :
!MESSAGE Server 'org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri.ide.server' failed with exception: Proxy Authentication Required. ; version: 2.0.2.v20160630-0955

I imagine it prevents the default server to work well, but should not prevent mine to work properly.

Thanks,
Alain
Re: [AERI] Unable to make it working with version 2.0.x [message #1738250 is a reply to message #1738249] Mon, 18 July 2016 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marcel Bruch is currently offline Marcel BruchFriend

Looking at [1] I'm not aware of changes recently made that may result into this behavior. I assume you are aware of the internal api change announced in [2].

A first question: your setup is an IDE setup (not an RCP setup), correct? Do you reuse the mars.ServerConnection or anything else?

Regarding your error and reporting to eclipse.org: The Mars server-connection disables itself if it cannot connect to the server. The proxy error may thus be one reason why no error is send to eclipse.org

A second question: did you start / enable the debug options (enable in the preferences). It may give you additional pointer why something failed.

A third question: Did you launch the runtime workbench with -Declipse.buildId=some-value (see wiki for details). If not, AERI disables itself in the runtime workbench.

A forth question: Did you clear your workspace? Depending on which server connections you use, there is might be a cache that simply ignores the error if it was already sent before. If debug options are enabled you should see a debug output.

[1] https://git.eclipse.org/c/epp/org.eclipse.epp.logging.git/log/
[2] https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1078845/

Re: [AERI] Unable to make it working with version 2.0.x [message #1738274 is a reply to message #1738250] Mon, 18 July 2016 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alain Bernard is currently offline Alain BernardFriend

Thank you, it was in fact a problem with the buildId property that was not generated in my .product file. Now the mechanism works well again!
FYI, our product is based on the Eclipse IDE, and we don't reuse directly the provided ServerConnection class as our error reporting simply prepare emails Smile

A last question: because I don't want to force the users to modify the proxy settings and want to provide a default configuration for AERI, what is the best way to do that? Should I use a preferences initializer or can I use a .ini file directly in the plugin?
Re: [AERI] Unable to make it working with version 2.0.x [message #1738295 is a reply to message #1738274] Mon, 18 July 2016 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Good to hear.

I've unfortunately no experience using ini files. I've also and no deeper knowledge how to configure Eclipse network / proxy settings.

But my understanding how ini files are supposed to work, I think they are the way to go. But if you figured out, please post the results for others as reference.

Thank you.

Some AERI preferences you might find helpful:

eclipse.preferences.version=1
configured=true
anonymizeMessages=false
anonymizeStackTraces=false
sendMode=NOTIFY
servers/org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri.ide.server/configured=true
servers/org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri.ide.server/enabled=true
servers/org.webinar.ide.server/configured=true
servers/org.webinar.ide.server/enabled=true

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2016 18:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [AERI] Unable to make it working with version 2.0.x [message #1738991 is a reply to message #1738274] Tue, 26 July 2016 15:13 Go to previous message

Alain,

how do you solve that issue? I'm writing a blog post which lists common pitfalls and I'd like to add this to the post.

Did you set the version in the product? Or did you specify the property in the configurations section(see below)? Or something else?

Thank you.

<configurations>
<property name="eclipse.buildId" value="${unqualifiedVersion}.${buildQualifier}" />
</configurations>
Previous Topic:[aeri][ann]
Next Topic:[AERI] Enbale Error Reporting for Eclipse Project with non Eclipse Prefixed plugins
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:52:11 GMT 2024