Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to uninstall Eclipse Neon in Windows 10
How to uninstall Eclipse Neon in Windows 10 [message #1738137] Sat, 16 July 2016 04:46 Go to next message
M F is currently offline M FFriend
Hello,

With previous version of Eclipse, I simply extracted the compressed package to a folder on my computer. I could simply delete that folder to remove Eclipse from my computer.

With the latest Eclipse Neon release, I decided to use the Windows Installer from the Eclipse Download page. Eclipse installed and worked fine. However, I want to remove it and use it on my Linux computer instead, but it doesn't appear int the "Programs and Features" area of the Windows Control Panel. The installer has installed start menu shortcuts and other artifacts, so it's not just a matter of deleting the installation folder.

How do I uninstall Eclipse to ensure all start menu shortcuts and other install artifacts are completely removed?
Re: How to uninstall Eclipse Neon in Windows 10 [message #1738198 is a reply to message #1738137] Mon, 18 July 2016 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Comments below.

On 18.07.2016 00:17, M F wrote:
> Hello,
>
> With previous version of Eclipse, I simply extracted the compressed
> package to a folder on my computer. I could simply delete that folder
> to remove Eclipse from my computer.
> With the latest Eclipse Neon release, I decided to use the Windows
> Installer from the Eclipse Download page. Eclipse installed and
> worked fine. However, I want to remove it and use it on my Linux
> computer instead, but it doesn't appear int the "Programs and
> Features" area of the Windows Control Panel.
The installer just automates what you'd otherwise do manually. It does
not register anything in your system registry.
> The installer has installed start menu shortcuts and other artifacts,
> so it's not just a matter of deleting the installation folder.
It optionally creates shortcuts, the same was as you could/would do
manually. You can delete them manually. You can also just delete the
installation folder.

If you've installed using a bundle pool, which is on by default with
default location ~/.p2, i.e., it's in your home folder, the pool will
contain most of the installation artifacts. If you have no other
installations you've created with the installer, you could just delete
that folder too. However, the installer also has a garbage collection
feature (from the Bundle Pools... menu of the simple page or the toolbar
button at the bottom of the advanced page), where you can use Cleanup
Agent... to garbage collect the bundle pool.
>
> How do I uninstall Eclipse to ensure all start menu shortcuts and
> other install artifacts are completely removed?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: How to uninstall Eclipse Neon in Windows 10 [message #1747359 is a reply to message #1738198] Sun, 13 November 2016 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merwin Blernf is currently offline Merwin BlernfFriend
I, too, used the Windows installer (as opposed to the .zip file) to install Eclipse Neon.

Ed, you mention that this installer does not make any changes to the registry, and merely automates some things such as adding shortcuts, adding a menu item, etc. This seems to be true, as Eclipse does not appear in the list of programs under Control Panel / Programs / Programs and Features.

However - when right-clicking the menu entry for Eclipse under Start / Eclipse / Eclipse (shortcut) - this (right-click) menu has an option to Uninstall. Clicking Uninstall opens Control Panel / Programs / Programs and Features, where - as we've already established - Eclipse is nowhere to be found.

This Uninstall link is probably a standard Windows menu item for anything in the Start menu. But it is nevertheless confusing that this "option" to uninstall this way (and it is in fact not an option) seems to exist.

For my money, the Windows "installer" offering should not exist unless it does change the registry (and behaves like most everything else out there that uses an installer). Offering an installer that seems to do this, but doesn't, is confusing. If Eclipse is going to be a non-registry-changing piece of software in all cases, then let's not obscure that fact behind a facade that becomes confusing.
Re: How to uninstall Eclipse Neon in Windows 10 [message #1747467 is a reply to message #1747359] Tue, 15 November 2016 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Well, I don't have Windows 10, so I don't know what automatic things the latest and greatest windows has decided are good things to put on all your menu shortcuts. It seems inappropriate to assume that all menu items must necessarily corresponding to things that can be uninstalled, but someone would need to report that to Microsoft.

Given that "for my money" == 0 cents, I'm not sure how best to evaluate that condition at the start of the statement. Suppose we called it the Eclipse Installation Creator or the Eclipse Package Unpackager, then it would no longer be an installer. It would create Eclipse Installations or Unpackage Eclipse Packages, which is way less confusing. Of course the menu link would still have the same problem, but you'd be less confused by that because it wouldn't be an installers confusing problem but simply a Windows 10's confusing design feature. You seem to overlook the fact that the installer (or whatever less confusing name you'd like to use to denote it) doesn't just return exit code 13 if you don't have the right Java installed (it tells you where to find Java if you don't have it), it doesn't require you to figure out the right unzipper to unzip a zip file, and doesn't require you to figure out how to add links to menus and to the desktop, which you can do manually and would of course have exactly the same confusing uninstall link problem you have now, but then it would be your own fault instead of the confusing installer's fault.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: How to uninstall Eclipse Neon in Windows 10 [message #1747559 is a reply to message #1747467] Tue, 15 November 2016 22:40 Go to previous message
Scott Jones is currently offline Scott JonesFriend
Hi, everything in eclipse is in there eclipse. Just delete the folder and it is gone. If you have any shortcuts then delete them too.

Just got an update from my friend: Eclipse does not install anything outside of the folder you unpack it to. Deleting that folder will get rid of Eclipse.

Sorry if it is not helpful...

[Updated on: Wed, 16 November 2016 12:29]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Cannot install Eclipse Neon on Mac
Next Topic:defining the JRE version - why so many tabs to set?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:52:07 GMT 2024