Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree
Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree [message #1738132] Fri, 15 July 2016 23:46 Go to next message
Chris Barlock is currently offline Chris BarlockFriend
I recently upgraded from the Mars to Neon Java EE bundle. I am now getting an handful of errors and thousands of warnings from HTML files that are not in a 'kind="src" directory tree. The directory in question holds a number of JAR files which we need to build against and these JARs are included as classpathentry kind="lib" in our .classpath file. This strikes me as a bug, but if it is a (unwelcome) new feature, what is the purpose and how do I suppress it?
Re: Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree [message #1738434 is a reply to message #1738132] Tue, 19 July 2016 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone?
Re: Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree [message #1738438 is a reply to message #1738434] Tue, 19 July 2016 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Can you be more specific about the error and warning messages?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree [message #1738446 is a reply to message #1738438] Wed, 20 July 2016 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are many. One example:

Attribute (name) is obsolete. Its use is discouraged in HTML5 documents.

But, I don't think the specific errors/warnings are material. The really problem is that they are occurring on files that are not is a src tree. We have a "prereq" directory that contains a number of JAR files that we build against, but don't own -- much of it open source. Something just occurred to me. Most of the problems are in the directory tree prereq/apache-ant-1.9.3/manual/api/org and the apache-ant-1.9.3 directory is not mentioned anywhere in .classpath, but the prereq directory is an element in the .jazzignore element core.ignore.recursive.

On the surface, it would appear that something changed between Mars and Neon (or, really, in Neon, since I've never seen this behavior before) that causes scanning of files for warnings and errors that are not in a src tree.
Re: Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree [message #1738451 is a reply to message #1738446] Wed, 20 July 2016 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The one mentioned comes from the HTML Validator, but has been something it's been able to report since Indigo, and neither then nor now does it consider the Java setup of a project. Is your project still connected to RTC? Was there a .settings/org.eclipse.wst.validation.prefs file that was removed from the project?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree [message #1738512 is a reply to message #1738451] Wed, 20 July 2016 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, still connected to RTC. We don't have that particular prefs file and I have no reason to believe it was deleted. I checked the content of a closely related stream and it doesn't have such a file either. I just found the HTML syntax validator include group and I loaded Mars.2 on that closely related stream. The validator settings appear to be the same, yet with Mars, I don't have all the warnings on the Apache Ant HTML files that are in the prereqs directory (not src) that I described above. It would seem something has changed between Mars and Neon here.
Re: Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree [message #1738552 is a reply to message #1738512] Wed, 20 July 2016 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I opened my Validation preferences and added my "src" folder to the include group for the HTML Syntax Validator and then the Facelet HTML validator. The "Allow projects to override these preference settings" box was checked, but no changes to and .settings files were generated, there was no "Configure Project Specific Settings" option as with the Java Compiler Errors/Warnings dialog -- and I still have thousands of warnings for files not in my src tree. How is this supposed to work?
Re: Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree [message #1738553 is a reply to message #1738552] Wed, 20 July 2016 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I think you'd want to add the "lib" folder to an Exclude group, instead, going by the dialog's explanation.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree [message #1738559 is a reply to message #1738553] Wed, 20 July 2016 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, right you are Nitin. Thank you. If I exclude my prereqs directory, most of the warnings stop. Nevertheless, several questions exist:

- Why does the validation happen in directories that are not "src"?

- How do I enable project-specific settings? The Validation preferences dialog has a check box for this, so it seems it should be possible.
Re: Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree [message #1738568 is a reply to message #1738559] Wed, 20 July 2016 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

That one is enabled from the corresponding Preference Page.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree [message #1738569 is a reply to message #1738568] Thu, 21 July 2016 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not seeing it, Nitin. I think I've been pretty clear that I enabled a change to add this prereqs directory to an exclude group, but no Pending Change was generated for any .settings file. Also, there is no setting on the corresponding preference page to enable this.
Re: Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree [message #1738585 is a reply to message #1738569] Thu, 21 July 2016 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Are you sure you're looking at the Preference page and not the project's Property page?

index.php/fa/26513/0/

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree [message #1738625 is a reply to message #1738585] Thu, 21 July 2016 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is exactly where I'm looking. I clicked the ... button next to HTML Syntax Validation and added an Exclude Group for my prereq folder. RTC did not recognize any changes in .settings, which says to me that Eclipse mad the changes in my personal workspace preferences, not for the project.
Re: Neon errors/warnings from files not in a source tree [message #1739516 is a reply to message #1738625] Tue, 02 August 2016 15:13 Go to previous message
I figured out the project-specific preferences issue, but have opened bug 499054 for the fact that I'm getting errors and warnings for files that are not in my src tree.
Previous Topic:Neon - JS Content Assist now only sees current JS file?
Next Topic:A bug of JSDT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 04:51:55 GMT 2024