Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse takes very long time to delete files during build.(The builds hang for several minutes while the output folders are being cleaned.)
icon9.gif  Eclipse takes very long time to delete files during build. [message #1737919] Thu, 14 July 2016 07:24 Go to next message
Thomas Collignon is currently offline Thomas CollignonFriend
I'm using Eclipse Kepler on Windows 7 and recently it became more and more frequent that it takes lots of time when it has to delete files. For example in these contexts:
- mvn clean, launched from Eclipse
- cleaning output folder in case of automatic projects build by Eclipse
- deploying a war on a server (deletion of the previous deployment)

The problem doesn't occur at each time. I haven't figured out yet in what cases the problem happens.

I may have a clue: to gain some time I 'help' Eclipse by deleting the files myself with Windows Explorer. For the problematic folders (the ones that take time to be cleaned by Eclipse), Windows launches a pop-up saying that I need admin right to do that. I just hit Enter (I am admin user) and the files are quickly deleted. If Eclipse had no right to delete the files I would have expected an error, instead it just takes much more time to actually delete the files.

Solutions that I've tried but don't work:
- Re-starting with a fresh workspace
- Launching Eclipse as admin.

What could be the cause of that? Knowing that the clue may or may not be relevant.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 July 2016 08:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse takes very long time to delete files during build. [message #1739703 is a reply to message #1737919] Thu, 04 August 2016 06:53 Go to previous message
Thomas Collignon is currently offline Thomas CollignonFriend
For the record: no solution has been found to the problem. I got a new desktop with a fresh Win7 image and I don't have the problem, working with the same Eclipse projects. This would indicate that the problem came from a misconfiguration of the Windows user permission. Sadly, no more details available.
Previous Topic:How to change @author default field in Javadoc
Next Topic:Error Adding external jar to a Dynamic Web Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:52:01 GMT 2024