Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » Performance of Epsilon Validation
Performance of Epsilon Validation [message #1737842] Wed, 13 July 2016 12:53 Go to next message
crothy donald is currently offline crothy donaldFriend
Hi,

I have just started to evaluate the Epsilon Validation Framework. I am wondering if you have some benchmarks regarding the performance of Epsilon Validation versus Validation based on EMF (Eclipse Validation Framework)

I allready have a plenty of validation rules implemented in plain java and executed by the Eclipse Validation Framework. Starting with a really simple check "Id of element cannot be empty" and a XML resourceXML with the size about 50 MB produced following results.

1) Eclipse Validation Framework : 6s
2) Epsilon Validation: 30s !!!!

Hier is my .evl file.

pre {
'Running validation ...'.println();
}

context My!ElementA{

constraint ValidId {
check : self.id <> ''
}
}

context My!ElementB {

constraint ValidId {
check : self.id <> ''
}
}

My Model is "XML document backed by XSD", since I have a Schema and a XML file to validate.

My question is: Do I make anything wrong? Can I improve considerably this basic check? Why is it so slow comparing to EMF Validation?

Re: Performance of Epsilon Validation [message #1737843 is a reply to message #1737842] Wed, 13 July 2016 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi,

EVL is an interpreted language and as such a significant performance penalty compared to Java (typically in the order of 10x) is to be expected.

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: Performance of Epsilon Validation [message #1737845 is a reply to message #1737843] Wed, 13 July 2016 13:14 Go to previous message
crothy donald is currently offline crothy donaldFriend
Oh, you have right, of course...
Thank you for the very quick answer.
Previous Topic:Model migration with Flock
Next Topic:Splitting ETL into several modules
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:09:06 GMT 2024