Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++(Need help with XMLEspresso after, seeming, successful install.)
Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737432] Fri, 08 July 2016 08:09 Go to next message
John Mountcastle is currently offline John MountcastleFriend
Many years ago, I was a C programmer. In those days, I used Emacs with a custom start up file as a pretty effective IDE. Now I find I must edit XML and Python and so, I thought, " A good modern IDE would be nice." I selected Eclipse, PyDev, and XMLEspresso. After installing all thee, in that order on a Windows 10 PC. I began, unsuccessfully, to try and start the XMLEspresso Editor. I am so far unable to find any trace of any XML editor, in Eclipse and any direction will be appreciated., I have never used Eclipse before.
Regards, John H. Mountcastle
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737498 is a reply to message #1737432] Fri, 08 July 2016 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Open your Eclipse, select Help -> Install New Software.

Select the repository of your Eclipse, maybe the line starting with 'Neon - ' on the Work with drop-down list.

The XML and XSL tools are in the Web development subtree.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737522 is a reply to message #1737498] Sat, 09 July 2016 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Alternatively, if your Help menu contains an entry for "Eclipse Marketplace...", you can use the new Marketplace entry at https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/eclipse-xml-editors-and-tools-0 .

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737559 is a reply to message #1737522] Sat, 09 July 2016 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks you guys. I'm petty sure I've already installed XMLEspresso from the marketplace. I simply cannot find it to start it. Thanks, John
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737560 is a reply to message #1737559] Sat, 09 July 2016 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I should have said, in my last post, XMLEspresso shows up under, Help>Installation Details. Thanks, John
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737562 is a reply to message #1737560] Sun, 10 July 2016 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Have you created an XML file within Eclipse and tried to open it?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737581 is a reply to message #1737562] Sun, 10 July 2016 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have not. I did copy a .csl (citation style language) file into the workspace but it only opened in the system default for that extension. I have installed the xml tools and when I changed the name of the .csl file to .xml, it opens in the standard XML editor. I still can't find any access to the XMLEspresso Editor. Regards, John
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737582 is a reply to message #1737581] Sun, 10 July 2016 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
John,

When you bring up the context menu on a *.xml file and look at the Open
With submenu, what editors are listed there?

On 10.07.2016 20:35, John Mountcastle wrote:
> I have not. I did copy a .csl (citation style language) file into the
> workspace but it only opened in the system default for that extension.
> I have installed the xml tools and when I changed the name of the .csl
> file to .xml, it opens in the standard XML editor. I still can't find
> any access to the XMLEspresso Editor. Regards, John

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737587 is a reply to message #1737581] Mon, 11 July 2016 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

> I have not. I did copy a .csl (citation style language) file into the workspace but it only opened in the system default for that extension.

https://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_FAQ#How_do_I_use_my_own_filename_extensions_in_the_XML_editor.3F_It_only_works_correctly_if_a_file_ends_with_.xml.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737661 is a reply to message #1737582] Mon, 11 July 2016 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only Text Editor and XML Editor. XMLEspresso is not to be found. Regards, John
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737664 is a reply to message #1737661] Mon, 11 July 2016 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And if you picked Other... is it listed there? Did you read what Nitin
suggested?

On 11.07.2016 18:26, John Mountcastle wrote:
> Only Text Editor and XML Editor. XMLEspresso is not to be found.
> Regards, John

Ed Merks
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737671 is a reply to message #1737664] Mon, 11 July 2016 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is nothing like XMLEspresso listed under "Other" in fact, no XML-anything. I did look at Nitin's suggestion but as far as I could see, it only offered a way to link a particular "extension" to an editor that could be found, offering no help on finding XMLEspresso. I could probably learn to use the default XML editor but I was interested to see what new features XMLEspresso brought to the table. Remembering that I've never used Eclipse before last week and know almost nothing about it, what should I have to do to access XMLEspresso? Regards, John
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737680 is a reply to message #1737671] Mon, 11 July 2016 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The FAQ entry I pointed to would make Eclipse treat *.csl files as if they were *.xml files.

I tried installing XMLEspresso myself, but I think there was a silent failure after the download that prevents it from actually being installed (it's in my Installation History's "Current Installation" but missing from both the Features and Plug-Ins list in the About dialog's Installation Details):
(from the workspace's .metadata/.log file)
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to aquire PluginConverter service during generation for: /Users/nitin/tmp/marketplace/Eclipse.app/Contents/Eclipse/plugins/com.nubean.xmlespresso_8.0.0.201206142237
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.utils.Utils.convertPluginManifest(Utils.java:154)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.utils.Utils.basicLoadManifest(Utils.java:82)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.utils.Utils.getOSGiManifest(Utils.java:217)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equinox.EquinoxBundlesState.installBundle(EquinoxBundlesState.java:556)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equinox.EquinoxBundlesState.composeState(EquinoxBundlesState.java:366)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equinox.EquinoxBundlesState.composeNewState(EquinoxBundlesState.java:299)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equinox.EquinoxBundlesState.<init>(EquinoxBundlesState.java:269)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equinox.EquinoxManipulatorImpl.getBundlesState(EquinoxManipulatorImpl.java:157)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equinox.EquinoxManipulatorImpl.save(EquinoxManipulatorImpl.java:379)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse.LazyManipulator.save(LazyManipulator.java:97)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse.EclipseTouchpoint.saveManipulator(EclipseTouchpoint.java:61)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse.EclipseTouchpoint.commit(EclipseTouchpoint.java:137)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.EngineSession.commit(EngineSession.java:123)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.Engine.perform(Engine.java:93)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.Engine.perform(Engine.java:44)
at org.eclipse.equinox.p2.operations.ProvisioningSession.performProvisioningPlan(ProvisioningSession.java:175)
at org.eclipse.equinox.p2.operations.ProfileModificationJob.runModal(ProfileModificationJob.java:79)
at org.eclipse.equinox.p2.operations.ProvisioningJob.run(ProvisioningJob.java:177)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

I can't speak for how well WTP's own XML Editor is by comparison, but I'm reasonably sure it will install properly, at least on the versions the entry claims are compatible.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737982 is a reply to message #1737680] Thu, 14 July 2016 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin, I did understand that the pointer you provided was to make Eclipse treat csl files as XML. But that is not my question. My question is that after a seeming successful installation I can't find any place from which to start the XMLEspresso editor. I have installed the editor from WTP tools and it works fine. I only wanted to try XMLEspresso and to solve the puzzle of, where did it go. Thanks for your tip on the file extensions. - John
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1737995 is a reply to message #1737982] Thu, 14 July 2016 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

John, from what little I know and from trying it with different Eclipse releases, the exception I had installing it on Neon is because it's actually not compatible with Luna and later. It installs fine on Kepler, and I guess it works as designed there.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1738090 is a reply to message #1737995] Fri, 15 July 2016 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not the answer I wanted but i suppose you've saved me a lot of frustration, thanks. Are there truly a lot of improvements between Eclipse and Luna? How would I un-install Neon and then install Luna?
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1738094 is a reply to message #1738090] Fri, 15 July 2016 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 07/15/2016 10:56 AM, John Mountcastle wrote:
> Not the answer I wanted but i suppose you've saved me a lot of
> frustration, thanks. Are there truly a lot of improvements between
> Eclipse and Luna? How would I un-install Neon and then install Luna?

I'm assuming you're using Windows. (I use Linux.)

Eclipse (any version) isn't installed in a formal sense, it's just
(mostly) a subdirectory in your filesystem. The Eclipse "installer" just
does what we used to (and I still do) accomplish by hand.

So, as I don't use the Eclipse "installer", I don't know if it has an
"uninstall" mode, but you can remove the subdirectory on your system
that contains eclipse.exe and eclipse.ini, then install Luna instead.
There are also some directories in your user root, probably
C:\Users\John you might zap too in order to be thorough.

The installer came out concurrently with Mars, I think. Perhaps it
doesn't work for Luna, but you need only download the Luna zip, choose
where you want it, then unzip in your filesystem.

Incidentally, I'd only back up to Mars unless there was a good reason to
go back to Luna.

I hope this helps. If you have trouble, come back. Or someone more
up-to-date on installer issues may post a better answer.

Cheers
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1738098 is a reply to message #1738094] Fri, 15 July 2016 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very helpful Russell, thanks. I've installed Luna, I still can't figure out how to launch it. I installed it, it shows up in installation details but not in Open with or open with other. What kind of stupid user trip am I performing here? Do I just not know how to launch a plugin in Eclipse. By the way, I picked Luna because a previous respondent told me XMLEspresso would run under it and wouldn't under Neon. Cheers, John
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1738109 is a reply to message #1738098] Fri, 15 July 2016 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've re-read a previous post and found that it sai XMLEspresso would not run on Luna but that it would run on Kepler. I've installed Kepler but now the drop in install of XMLEspresso won't work. I'm getting near my wits end. Cheers, John
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1738113 is a reply to message #1738109] Fri, 15 July 2016 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On 07/15/2016 12:11 PM, John Mountcastle wrote:
> I've re-read a previous post and found that it sai XMLEspresso would not
> run on Luna but that it would run on Kepler. I've installed Kepler but
> now the drop in install of XMLEspresso won't work. I'm getting near my
> wits end. Cheers, John

Kepler was a great Eclipse release.

You're dropping the XMLExpresso into the plug-ins folder of Kepler,
right? I can't remember if the subdirectory name had changed from
plugins to dropins by then. (In the old days, before Eclipse
Marketplace, we used to drop stuff by hand into the plugins
subdirectory.) Try restarting Eclipse after dropping the XMLEspresso
artifacts into either.

Good luck, my friend.
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1738115 is a reply to message #1738098] Fri, 15 July 2016 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On 07/15/2016 11:39 AM, John Mountcastle wrote:
> Very helpful Russell, thanks. I've installed Luna, I still can't figure
> out how to launch it. I installed it, it shows up in installation
> details but not in Open with or open with other. What kind of stupid
> user trip am I performing here? Do I just not know how to launch a
> plugin in Eclipse. By the way, I picked Luna because a previous
> respondent told me XMLEspresso would run under it and wouldn't under
> Neon. Cheers, John

So, I don't know what the new installer does exactly since I've never
used it, but back in the days when I still used Windows occasionally, I
always made a shortcut to C:\Users\russ\dev\eclipse\eclipse.exe and put
it on my taskbar. I did this by hand, of course.

I think the new Eclipse installer is a great idea, but I'd never use it
personally as I don't myself see a need for it. I think it was to
attempt to solve a lot of newcomer issues. This said, I'm not certain
that the number of "newcomer can't get Eclipse to launch" issues has
really dwindled by much (but then, it's always hard to point at the lack
of seeing a thing to prove that it exists or doesn't exist).
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1738121 is a reply to message #1738113] Fri, 15 July 2016 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, how do I find the Plug-in folder. All I seem to have is a Project Explorer pane at the left, a center panel where editing is done, and an outline panel at the right. Also a Problems section at the bottom of the UI. Regards, John
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1738124 is a reply to message #1738121] Fri, 15 July 2016 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey!!!, I solved it. I fired up Kepler and selected Help/Marketplace. Then I searched for XMLEspresso, found it and installed it. Now when I right click an XML file, the contect menu includes XMLEspresso editor. Thanks for the bandwidth Russell, I may need more help with XMLEspresso, before it's over but at least I can start the application now. Cheers, John
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1738127 is a reply to message #1738124] Fri, 15 July 2016 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am still intrigued to find out why I can't run XMLEspresso in Neon. The marketplace says it's supported but so far, no joy. Maybe someone from NewBean will chime in here. Best, John
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1738142 is a reply to message #1738115] Sat, 16 July 2016 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell,

Comments below.

On 15.07.2016 21:15, Russell Bateman wrote:
> On 07/15/2016 11:39 AM, John Mountcastle wrote:
>> Very helpful Russell, thanks. I've installed Luna, I still can't figure
>> out how to launch it. I installed it, it shows up in installation
>> details but not in Open with or open with other. What kind of stupid
>> user trip am I performing here? Do I just not know how to launch a
>> plugin in Eclipse. By the way, I picked Luna because a previous
>> respondent told me XMLEspresso would run under it and wouldn't under
>> Neon. Cheers, John
>
> So, I don't know what the new installer does exactly since I've never
> used it, but back in the days when I still used Windows occasionally,
> I always made a shortcut to C:\Users\russ\dev\eclipse\eclipse.exe and
> put it on my taskbar. I did this by hand, of course.
Of course you can run it and then pin it to the taskbar. The installer
will also create menu and desktop shortcuts, optionally.
>
> I think the new Eclipse installer is a great idea, but I'd never use
> it personally as I don't myself see a need for it.
If you only install one IDE and generally know what you're doing,
there's no strong need.
> I think it was to attempt to solve a lot of newcomer issues.
Definitely. I have a zip file, but I can't unzip it. Windows says I
need a password. Once I unzip it, it won't run. Error code 13. I give
up, or I go to the forum and overlook the sticky post. I eventually
have to hunt for a Java runtime, or try to install one, from where? And
so on.
> This said, I'm not certain that the number of "newcomer can't get
> Eclipse to launch" issues has really dwindled by much (but then, it's
> always hard to point at the lack of seeing a thing to prove that it
> exists or doesn't exist).
Now they post issues about the installer. :-P

The value of the installer (the native one on Windows) is you download
it and it definitely runs. It looks for Java in the proper places,
such as the system registry. It finds them all. It knows what the
installer application needed in order to run (and likewise during
installation, it knows what the product being installed needs). If the
right Java isn't present it knows, and it directs the user to a web page
that explains what they need to do and from where they can get Java.
If the right Java is available, but isn't the default one on the path,
it edits the eclipse.ini to specify the right one.

That's all mostly newcomer stuff the expert doesn't need of course. But
if you install several IDEs, or install IDEs that work with specific
projects, the bundle pooling mechanism lets you install dozens of IDEs
and fill up their workspace target platforms, all without filling up
your disk drive with dozens of duplicate files (200-300MB per
installation + that much more again per workspace TP). A good expert
can automate everything it takes to bring up a tailored ID (e.g.,
install additional favorite tools) with all their Git projects cloned
and error free, grouped into working sets...

Ed Merks
Re: Editing XML and Python in Eclipse (neon) C/C++ [message #1750657 is a reply to message #1738127] Sat, 24 December 2016 04:32 Go to previous message
Wesley Rishel is currently offline Wesley RishelFriend
I am wondering if you ever found anything else about this. NewBean seems to have gone radio silent and now seems to be giving errors in my browser.

Regards,

Wes Rishel
Retired Healthcare Computer Nerd

____

"The writing of a poem is like a child throwing stones into a mineshaft. You compose first, then you listen for the reverberation."

James Fenton
____

Previous Topic:checksum doesn't match for Eclipse Installer for OS X
Next Topic:eclipse startup errors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:22:04 GMT 2024