Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Proper way to configure plugin project to know about generated source?
Proper way to configure plugin project to know about generated source? [message #1736778] Fri, 01 July 2016 15:59
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I inherited a largish Eclipse plugin codebase a while ago. I'm an experienced Java dev, and an experienced Eclipse USER, but I'm still getting used to the best strategies for working on Eclipse applications and plugins.

My overall question/answer is probably simple, but I need to give background just in case there's something else you should know about my situation.

This plugin currently uses an artifact that I get from a Maven repo with "maven-dependency-plugin" and the "copy" task, so it's used in a plugin module with an entry in the "Bundle-Classpath" property. The artifact isn't available in a p2 repo, so I have to do this. This basically works.

This artifact that I'm getting from a Maven repo has been deprecated, and is now not available (I can still use old versions, but I need to move forward).

The artifact consists of almost entirely generated code from ANTLR4. I've defined a new plugin module with the required ANTLR files as source, and I've put the required antlr plugin reference in the POM of this new module. I've set the packaging as "eclipse-plugin", and I've set the manifest to export the classes that are produced. I can build this module from the command line, and it completes successfully, producing what looks like a valid bundle jar.

I now have to get Eclipse to work with this new module. The perhaps simple problem that I have right now is that I get errors in the manifest file, saying "Package 'xxx' does not exist in this plug-in", where "xxx" is one of the packages that are being generated. Obviously, Eclipse doesn't know to find my generated source code.

If I was working on an ordinary project, I would just manually set the source paths in the project properties to know about the root of the generated source code. However, I'm used to Maven and PDE projects mostly "just knowing" about the structure of my project. Is there something I need to set in one of the plugin description files that the PDE will see, which will tell it about my generated source files?
Previous Topic:Product export error when using shared license for a feature
Next Topic: custom export wizard in eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:30:09 GMT 2024