Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Memory Analyzer » MAT 1.6 OQL object de-reference problem - yields blank row values(Ex: "select s.name.toString() from someClass s" yields blanks)
MAT 1.6 OQL object de-reference problem - yields blank row values [message #1736513] Thu, 30 June 2016 04:49 Go to next message
ken marx is currently offline ken marxFriend
Eclipse MAT plugin 1.6.0.201606221912. Eclipse Mars.2 Release (4.5.2).

(Apologies if this is an already known problem, but my searches didn't find anything seemingly related. I'm also a MAT/OQL newbie.)

I installed the plugin via the usual help->install new sw, using http://download.eclipse.org/mat/snapshots/update-site/.

After that any object dereferencing in an OQL select seems to only yield blanks, even if the field in question is clearly non-blank when viewing its attributes (e.g., via clicking on a row and viewing attributes in the inspector tab.)

For example:
- SELECT s.name.toString(), s, s.@retainedHeapSize FROM org.eclipse.persistence.sessions.server.ServerSession s

This would have visible values for retainedHeapSize and the instances of ServerSession, but not for s.name.toString(). (Or, for that matter s.name, toString(s.name), or other grasped at straws.)

I uninstalled and back-rev'd to 1.5 via http://download.eclipse.org/mat/1.5/update-site/, ( Memory Analyzer 1.5.0.201505271423 org.eclipse.mat.feature.feature.group Eclipse Memory Analyzer) and de-referencing works again.

See attached screenshot (with probably unnecessary redactions, but oh well.)

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.
Re: MAT 1.6 OQL object de-reference problem - yields blank row values [message #1737371 is a reply to message #1736513] Thu, 07 July 2016 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Olson is currently offline Richard OlsonFriend
Good morning,

I too see similar results when performing various queries. I'm looking at a customer heapdump so I can't show the details, but do a query like, select s._session.toString() from className. When I find some time I'll try to provide some non-customer related examples. I tried the latest 1.6 nightly build with the same results. Note, using MAT 1.5 no problems.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: MAT 1.6 OQL object de-reference problem - yields blank row values [message #1738292 is a reply to message #1736513] Mon, 18 July 2016 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik BrangsFriend
A concrete example that can easily reproduced by anyone else would be very helpful. This would allow finding the offending commit with git bisect. If you have such an example, I would recommend to open a bug report.
Re: MAT 1.6 OQL object de-reference problem - yields blank row values [message #1738304 is a reply to message #1738292] Mon, 18 July 2016 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ken marx is currently offline ken marxFriend
Sorry, I'm also working on heapdumps that are full of customer and PHI data. I take it from your request for concrete example that this is not happening everywhere.

I can try to repro in a sandbox case. Fwiw, our JVMs have -Xmx of up to 11GB and the dumps are at least > 1-2GB. Not sure if that's much help. Maybe Richard Olson can chime in if he sees this in large-ish heap dumps as well (or not).

Thanks, ken
Re: MAT 1.6 OQL object de-reference problem - yields blank row values [message #1741032 is a reply to message #1736513] Mon, 22 August 2016 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Olson is currently offline Richard OlsonFriend
Good morning,

I just opened a Bug Report, 500060 and attached a small Java heapdump which demonstrates the problem. The heapdump's from one of our test environments and no customer data.

Hopefully an easy fix and if I'm doing something wrong please let me know.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: MAT 1.6 OQL object de-reference problem - yields blank row values [message #1741384 is a reply to message #1741032] Wed, 24 August 2016 15:18 Go to previous message
Andrew Johnson is currently offline Andrew JohnsonFriend
I've fixed bug 500060 and the fix is available from the nightly builds page.
The problem occurred for fields declared in superclasses which was why it worked sometimes.
Sorry for not seeing this report earlier.
Previous Topic:OQL nested list flattening and filtering
Next Topic:How to extend Memory Analyzer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:09:32 GMT 2024