Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » RDT server for Eclipse MARS.(The topic about proper version of RDT server.)
RDT server for Eclipse MARS. [message #1735501] Mon, 20 June 2016 12:43 Go to next message
Andrzej F. is currently offline Andrzej F.Friend
Hi,

First of all big "HI" too all - it is my first post in this forum.

In the following page I see that there are unavailable RDT server packages (for all systems):
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/ptp/builds/9.0.2/

BTW. The same happens to version 9.0.1 which is under http://download.eclipse.org/tools/ptp/builds/9.0.0/ link (why? - because http/.../9.0.1 contains version 9.0.2 Rolling Eyes )

Is this all a bug or a hiden feature?

Is the server in development phase or something?

Tried to use version 8.1.2 with Mars with no success (the server crashes after connectioon is initialized from Eclipse - which is funny and seems that it is not very reliable piece of software). Anyway it would be nice to make it work. Now I try to check have aplan to check whether Eclipse Luna works with this 8.1.2 versioon.

Please let me know if I should raise a bug report.

Best Regards
Andrzej
Re: RDT server for Eclipse MARS. [message #1735505 is a reply to message #1735501] Mon, 20 June 2016 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
The PTP project uses a mailing list to support its community. You'll probably get more response asking there.
See https://eclipse.org/ptp/support.php
Re: RDT server for Eclipse MARS. [message #1735513 is a reply to message #1735505] Mon, 20 June 2016 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrzej F. is currently offline Andrzej F.Friend
Thanks for the answer.

Generally I don't like mailing lists. Therefore most probably I' m going to ignore the problem and stop using PTP.

Is PTP a part of Eclipse project or not?
If the answer is "yes it is a part of Eclipse" then: the question is why there is an inconsistency in a way of communication with/between users (forum vs. mailing list)?

Thank you.

Best Regards
Andrzej
Re: RDT server for Eclipse MARS. [message #1735523 is a reply to message #1735513] Mon, 20 June 2016 14:54 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Eclipse is a lot of things to different people: an IDE (or collection of IDEs), an application platform (for building applications, such as IDEs), a foundation that oversees numerous open-source projects (similar to Apache). What it is NOT, however, is a monolithic project.
Each project under the Eclipse umbrella is independently managed (but usually highly coordinated with the other projects), and so each project is free to choose the communication mechanism it prefers. Projects hosted by eclipse.org are encouraged to use these forums, but there are a few that have chosen mailing lists instead. I suggest, you voice your opinion, as a member of the PTP user community, to the project; of course that means joining their mailing list to do so.

On a side note, I know almost nothing about PTP, but in general I'd suggest that abandoning a particular tool only because you don't like mailing lists, might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There are plenty of open source projects and tools that I use where I don't prefer some of their choices, but I often overlook those perceived "shortcomings" in order to get the best tool for my task. Not always, but often. That's just my two cents.
Previous Topic:UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE THROUGH ECLIPSE MARKETPLACE
Next Topic:Can't install eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:19:28 GMT 2024