Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to force to redraw the screen?
How to force to redraw the screen? [message #1734690] Fri, 10 June 2016 11:13 Go to next message
Tamás Kiss is currently offline Tamás KissFriend
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to force to redraw the whole Eclipse window. If not, I think it would be beneficial to have one if it's possible to implement, because lately - especially since the GTK2 -> GTK3 transition started - Eclipse became more and more buggy in this area (at least the Linux version).

I know that it would be only a workaround, and if there's a specific bug then it should be hunted down and corrected instead, but the bug hunting approach of solving the screen update issues works only on the long run. On one hand, many times the bug is in an underlying external component (such as GTK, some font rendering library, Linux video driver), and it's hard to make them correct the bug - that is, if they admit it's a bug and the discussion does not end up in a pointless flamewar instead. On the other hand, even if a bug is corrected, sometimes the correction is only available in the next release of Eclipse/Linux/GTK/whatever, so you end up waiting years to get it in a stable, packaged way, or you have to use experimental stuff which might even need compilation from scratch, etc.

So, I'd like to ask if anyone knows whether it is technically possible to implement a "forced screen redraw" feature in Eclipse in a general way, so that the notorious screen garbage problems could be mitigated?
Re: How to force to redraw the screen? [message #1734734 is a reply to message #1734690] Fri, 10 June 2016 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Not that I know of, but have you tried minimizing and the restoring the Eclipse window. I'm not familiar with GTK but on Windoze that sometimes triggers an app to redraw itself.
Re: How to force to redraw the screen? [message #1734816 is a reply to message #1734734] Mon, 13 June 2016 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great idea, thanks. I tried it and it works. The only problem is that I cannot assign a keyboard shortcut to do the full activity, because if I minimize the window (this part works with a keyboard shortcut), the input focus is transferred to another window, so the un-minimizer keyboard shortcut is practically useless. Grabbing the mouse and clicking on the system tray twice in every minute becomes more and more annoying after a while.

But if, instead of minimizing and maximizing, I do un-maximizing and maximizing instead, it's better (Linux GTK2, through NX session):

• On startup, I resize the window to a tiny little size, then maximize it.
  • Later if I need to refresh the window, I use the "toggle maximize" shortcut twice, which resizes the window to the tiny size and then resizes it back to maximum.

This way the input focus remains on the window, and what's more, I need to memorize only one keyboard shortcut.
Re: How to force to redraw the screen? [message #1734820 is a reply to message #1734816] Mon, 13 June 2016 10:20 Go to previous message
Eh, I celebrated too early. Now another long-time bug is triggered: when I maximize the window back, the window remains active, but the input focus is... well, nowhere. And of course the Eclipse "put the focus into the editor" feature (F12) also does not work. Hitting the Tab key does not have any effect. ESC - nope.

New idea: if I start another application (e.g. a terminal) and maximize it, then I can switch windows twice with Alt-Tab to clean the screen garbage. This way almost 100% of the time I get the input focus back where I left it. The problem comes only if I have to open another, non-fullscreen application, because then I have to hit Alt-Tab in a random amount of times. Random, because that godforsaken window switcher tries to be smart, and changes the ordering of windows based on some "smart" algorithm, totally breaking the user experience.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Local history?
Next Topic:Dark Theme of Eclipse Compare and .tpl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:12:00 GMT 2024