Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Reverse Engineer Java Plugin doesn't create associations
Reverse Engineer Java Plugin doesn't create associations [message #1733991] Thu, 02 June 2016 16:50 Go to next message
Stevie Wo is currently offline Stevie WoFriend
I'm using the Papyrus Reverse Engineering Java plugin and am able to create UML diagrams from my Java packages, but when I drag and drop the package into the Papyrus model, it only creates the class diagrams. It does not create any of the lines to show associations between the classes.

For example, I have a Java package with the following classes:
Class A
Class B
Class C

Class A is an interface that is implemented by Class B. Class C then extends Class B. Papyrus creates the UML class diagrams but does not show any associations between the classes.

I though Papyrus supports this - am I incorrect?
Re: Reverse Engineer Java Plugin doesn't create associations [message #1734067 is a reply to message #1733991] Fri, 03 June 2016 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benoit Maggi is currently offline Benoit MaggiFriend
Hi,

2 options:
- drop the relations from the model explorer to the diagram
- Right Cliks> Filter > Show/Hide Related Links

Benoit
Re: Reverse Engineer Java Plugin doesn't create associations [message #1734101 is a reply to message #1734067] Fri, 03 June 2016 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stevie Wo is currently offline Stevie WoFriend
Hi Benoit

I tried the "Right Cliks> Filter > Show/Hide Related Links" but nothing happens. In the popup, I see entries under "Links to Display", but the "Link Kind", "Ends", "Sources", and "Targets" are all empty. There are also no errors being reported in the log files. Finally, I am in the Class Diagram view.

I do not see "Relations" as an option in the Model Explorer. Can you clarify this?

[Updated on: Fri, 03 June 2016 19:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Reverse Engineer Java Plugin doesn't create associations [message #1750621 is a reply to message #1734101] Fri, 23 December 2016 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ping cin is currently offline ping cinFriend
Hi,

I am using Papyrus to generate UML model from Java, and I am facing the same problem, no Associations, no Inheritance, no Attributes, and no Operations are displayed (reverse engineered), only classes are displayed.

Could you please help me here? Has anyone managed to reverse engineer all elements ?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards.
Re: Reverse Engineer Java Plugin doesn't create associations [message #1750671 is a reply to message #1750621] Sat, 24 December 2016 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
Hello I was doing this just yesterday exactly as Benoit said on Papyrus Neon with Designer-Java plugin installed.
It works as Benoit said for me, with a note that only Generalizations (inheritance) and interface realizations show. I think this is correct because a lot of other associations that have semantic value in a logical class diagram do not have value in Physical class diagram or in Java code (the association is replaced by appropriate type in the classes).

There is a button in Papyrus Designer plugin menu to recreate associations based on types but it does not work (fair enough, it's incubation)
Hope this helps.
Re: Reverse Engineer Java Plugin doesn't create associations [message #1750672 is a reply to message #1750621] Sat, 24 December 2016 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duplicate message

[Updated on: Sat, 24 December 2016 15:43]

Re: Reverse Engineer Java Plugin doesn't create associations [message #1750673 is a reply to message #1750621] Sat, 24 December 2016 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duplicate message

[Updated on: Sat, 24 December 2016 15:43]

Re: Reverse Engineer Java Plugin doesn't create associations [message #1751000 is a reply to message #1733991] Tue, 03 January 2017 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shuai Li is currently offline Shuai LiFriend
Generally speaking, what happens when you reverse engineer a whole Java project to a UML model, the reverse tool at least fills the semantic model (i.e. shown in the Model Explorer) with classes, attributes, operations, relationships excluding associations, etc...

Unless you reverse by dropping Java elements to UML diagrams directly, you have to create the diagrams, and then drag'and'drop the semantic model elements (Model Explorer) into the diagrams. I.e. use Papyrus itself to display semantic model elements in diagrams.

Note that in C++ reverse we also create the associations (and aggregations/compositions when necessary). In Java we have decided to not create associations automatically for reasons cited by Richard Freggi. The feature to recreate these associations from analyzing UML properties, is supposed to be fixed in the future.
Reverse Engineer Java Plugin to create UML Diagrams => How do you do ? [message #1766621 is a reply to message #1733991] Fri, 23 June 2017 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Missing name Mising name is currently offline Missing name Mising nameFriend
Hi Steve,

You said that using the Papyrus reverse Engineering java plugin, you are able to create UML diagrams from your java packages.

Ho do you do ?

I have tried with several versions of Eclipse and Papyrus, with no result.

Could you help me please?

Regards,

John

[Updated on: Fri, 23 June 2017 14:40]

Re: Reverse Engineer Java Plugin doesn't create associations [message #1773282 is a reply to message #1733991] Tue, 26 September 2017 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam J is currently offline Sam JFriend
Hi ,

Can anyone provide us some information about this ?
please clarify is it supported to generate full class diagrams with attributes, operations and relationships.
I am facing the same problem and can't figure out a solution
Re: Reverse Engineer Java Plugin doesn't create associations [message #1832795 is a reply to message #1773282] Fri, 25 September 2020 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vladimir Estivill-Castro is currently offline Vladimir Estivill-CastroFriend
I have a tutorial that shows how to do this. Particularly after 3min and 40 sec for a minute. Also, from 7min and 40 sec for about 1min 30 secs

See https://echo360.org.au/media/b25e7dd0-2bf1-452e-bb44-e9afee5f5629/public
Re: Reverse Engineer Java Plugin doesn't create associations [message #1832798 is a reply to message #1832795] Fri, 25 September 2020 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mack jone is currently offline mack joneFriend
at the point when I simplified the bundle into the Papyrus model, it just makes the class graphs. It doesn't make any of the lines to show relationship between the classes https://blackfridayvpn.me/

[Updated on: Sat, 26 September 2020 05:59]

Re: Reverse Engineer Java Plugin doesn't create associations [message #1833155 is a reply to message #1733991] Sun, 04 October 2020 20:18 Go to previous message
cmds cmds is currently offline cmds cmdsFriend
Hi, I had the same issue and this topic helped me. But I have one question : is it possible to create association for all or just several properties at the same time ? Selecting properties one by one can be a tedious task.
Thank you very much
Previous Topic:Could we export UML diagram to xml file in papyrus?
Next Topic:how to get Architecture Contexts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 08:06:23 GMT 2024